Project V8 - Achtung! German content

leeq61

I'd love to be able to do a project like that. It's above and beyond what I'm capable of mechanical wise. Good luck Maf, great start. Looking forward to the updates

MAF260

Good start, MAF. Good luck as well, mate.

Er... timescales?

The 924 needs to be gone by the end of Tuesday in order to pacify Mrs MAF (who has now decided she's really not happy with my latest purchase!). I'll probably start stripping the 944 by the end of Monday as well, hopefully have the engine out of that if I spend enough time on it. After that I will be gathering new parts to fit (suspension, brakes etc) and cleaning up the V8 before fitting. I'd like to have it running in the next few weeks, but that will depend on how much time I get to play. The evenings are lighter, so that should help progress. I'm impatient to drive it but enjoy the building time, there's no major rush.

rockits

Great project MAF...enjoy. I'm sure I'll be doing something similar soon.

Just going to start extending & converting the stables into a workshop & garage for 2 motors. Then the fun will begin ;)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The 924 needs to be gone by the end of Tuesday in order to pacify Mrs MAF (who has now decided she's really not happy with my latest purchase!).

To some extent she has a point. That said, a washing machine carcass and an old dead mattress would set things off pretty well on the MAF driveway just at the moment.

If you need to crowd-source a, er, crowd to help speed things along them just let us know. On account of not being in France we could all easily fill up with petrol and drive over.

safrane

Kudos MAF, thats swift progress...maybe the yellow one could be turned into a pickup...fill the rear with those jerry cans you have be discussing and become the forums backup vehicle for Le Mans...just needs AA lettering and a flashing amber light.

2b1ask1

Special case
Kudos MAF, thats swift progress...maybe the yellow one could be turned into a pickup...fill the rear with those jerry cans you have be discussing and become the forums backup vehicle for Le Mans...just needs AA lettering and a flashing amber light.

Yes, turn it into a tank and roll it across Fran..... Er maybe not!

MAF260

Only managed about 3 hours this afternoon due to other priorities. Fairly productive, though...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Things didn't go quite as planned today, plenty of head scratching to work out how to remove everything most efficiently. The main issue is that the engine can't come out connected to the front subframe as part of the mount is welded to the chassis frame. The car now looks like this...
image.jpg

I've taken off everything underneath and the engine is now held in by just 2 bolts, the gearbox at the rear supported by a stand. It'll all come out tomorrow, then a few final bits to come off the shell before it heads to car heaven to be reborn into a toaster in China.

I had the excuse to buy a few new tools for this job - a shiny new engine crane (cheaper than hiring one for a week), some 3 ton axle stands to complement the 4 I already have and then my favourite new tool of the moment:
image.jpg

A half inch drive impact wrench, 24v and 325lb/ft of torque - this has saved me so much time today it's unbelievable. How I have lived without one of these for all these years and projects is remarkable. 25% off at ECP this weekend - bargain!

philw696

Just be careful using chrome sockets on an impact gun mate as they can shatter you need to use the black impact sockets.
Good work though and looking forward to seeing the progress.
Phil.

Almichie

Just be careful using chrome sockets on an impact gun mate as they can shatter you need to use the black impact sockets.
Phil.

As Phil has said - get a proper set from machine mart or the like, the chrome ones (especially the 12 siders) don't like being battered and do let go...

Great project, I had a 944 celebration edition for about 6 months, it went as it wasn't powerful enough but I did enjoy the handling. I have seen people drop the 928 engines in but it needs some serious body modifications to make work...

Ewan

What a project! Good luck to you.

I've had 5 944's over the years, most recently a late model turbo that I finally sold last summer after 5 years of ownership. I wasn't using it much and the market had gone up, so I decided to sell it and was quite pleased with the £15500 achieved. But I see it's now back for sale at £24k, so I appear to have gone too early.

The big killer on the lower value models is the sills, as they rot from the inside and its several thousand pounds to replace them.

The 944 forum section of the PCGB is very active and full of great people, so definitely post your project on there if you haven't done so already. There are a few other V8 engine swap cars on that forum.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Just noticed this thread, quite a project!
Didn't know the Rover V8 was a swop into the 924/44, certainly not commercially back in the day.
Rover V8 is really old school these days though, the Chevy LS series appears to be the norm for such things today.
However if you have the Rover V8, and all the conversion bits (which you have) it would be a little silly to re-engineer everything again, plus the additional cost/time.
Looks like you are running a Holley or similar, keeps it simple on the fuel delivery side of things.

MAF260

Success! It's all out

image.jpg

The engine fought me every step of the way today, clearly not wanting to leave its cosy home. Persistence prevailed as the 2 bolts I thought were left turned into about 10. Taking out the engine, torque tube and gearbox single-handedly took some strategic use of engine crane, 2 trolley jacks, axle stands and a skate to manoeuvre things around with. I disassembled the front suspension and a few other parts, so my spares collection is already starting to grow.

image.jpg

The engine has taken up residence in my garage in readiness for an inspection and clean up.

image.jpg

I think I'll have a rest from messing about with old cars tomorrow, I'm happy I've done what I set out to achieve by today.

drewf

Single handed? Kudos MAF, wasn't your lad / future co-driver about to invest some effort into the project?

Andyk

Excellent project Mark...will catch up with this thread when back off holiday but looking forward to seeing the progress.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good work! Good use of a skate as well - the triumph of persistence and children's toys over gravity and bolts.

MAF260

Single handed? Kudos MAF, wasn't your lad / future co-driver about to invest some effort into the project?

I've stripped the car myself without any assistance. He made me lunch on Friday and helped to put the parts away in the shed last night, though. Under duress!
I'm not fussed, I really enjoy doing this stuff. I think I'll make a start on the 944 next weekend, can't wait to get stuck into it.

MAF260

Good work! Good use of a skate as well - the triumph of persistence and children's toys over gravity and bolts.

It wasn't a roller skate! It's a 2 foot square board with big castors, I think removal firms use them. I used it for my BMW project a dew years ago and it's come in very handy again.

MAF260

Phil.

As Phil has said - get a proper set from machine mart or the like, the chrome ones (especially the 12 siders) don't like being battered and do let go...

Thanks both. I wasn't aware of this, didn't think of the possible danger. The good news is that I was wearing goggles under the car to keep the **** from dropping into my eyes. I've ordered a set that'll be here in the week.