4200 Copue Roof Liner Fabric Falling

J De Luca

My 2002 Coupe GT roof liner fabric is suddenly sagging away from the liner panel. I am thinking of removing the liner panel and re-adhering the fabric. Has anyone else had this issue?

safrane

First reported incident as far as I am aware and I have been on the Maserati forums for nine years.

I may be easier to get one from a damaged car, you may even find a leather one.

conaero

Forum Owner
Welcome.

It's not one I have seen before to be honest.

It's worth doing as you suggest.

Use a spray contact adhesive that can be bought at any carpet store.

The headliner is held in with Xmas tree trip panel clips, get new ones from the dealer, they are not expensive and if you use the old ones it will rattle and drive you nuts.

You will also have to pop off the curtain trims too.

You biggest issue I feel will be removing the ridged headliner panel from the car.

At assembly I would imagine the headliner is fitted before the glass goes in.

If you remove the front seats you may get it out that way.

If you remove the seats, disconnect the battery or you will throw an airbag light.

Can you do us a pictorial how to guide if you attempt it to benefit others having to tackle this job.

CatmanV2

Sure it happens in the US. Normally recommend using a syringe to inject glue through and then under the lining. I have my doubts that this will work as the foam may have broken down, and you're trying to glue effectively dust

C

conaero

Forum Owner
Might be worth checking how much a new one is. If it's a rare failure it might be reasonable.

Wack61

I wouldn't advise using a solvent based spray adhesive , I tried that with a defender once and the solvent shrunk the head lining

J De Luca

Thanks for all your suggestions. I bought a new 1989 SAAB 900 Turbo way back when and that suffered the same issue after about 6 years. I will be investigating options (including a leather replacement why not) and will update the post as I learn more about this. I found the part listed for a Gransport (should be the same as the coupe shape, fit, and fixing) on Maseratispares however not currently available. The illustration shows all the fixing points so it looks reasonably easy to remove once the plastic liners are removed from the window surrounds however I do hope I don't need to remove a seat, time will tell.

BL330

J, firstly welcome to this forum as it's great to finally see more Sydney owners. It seems Classico with his GranTourismo has been one of the very few.
I'm also a member of Club Maserati, so if you're interested in Sydney centric gatherings and runs you can google the website, or pm for details.
The next run is to the Blue Mountains in July.
Back to your topic. The upholsterer I use in Canberra had a GranSport in recently with a shrunk leather roof lining due to heat. He had to remove it and replace front and rear sections.
I'm sure Shaun could fix yours, it would just take a drive to Mitchell ( northern suburb of Canberra ) as you know about 3 hours each way.
Again pm me for details, but at least he has recent knowledge of the task, and when I saw it the lining was out and the seats were untouched.
Regards,
Bruce

rs48635

I have a spare alcantara headlining sitting in my garage. Will be watching this thread carefully for guidance. Would happily sell it to you, but think package and shipping would render it way too costly. Plus I need to get my 3200 back on 4 wheels before ducking around with interior design ;)

spkennyuk

My 2002 Coupe GT roof liner fabric is suddenly sagging away from the liner panel. I am thinking of removing the liner panel and re-adhering the fabric. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ive seen a post somewhere about a GS having the same issue. I think it was a GS iirc. That car was also in Australia iirc. Will have a look and see if i can find the thread.

J De Luca

Hi Rob, My interior is grey with a grey headliner fabric. What colour is the spare you have? Sorry about your Alfa 166,,,

Attachments

• Roof liner2.jpg
    Roof liner2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 33

J De Luca

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your feedback, recall you parked me on the lawn at Auto Italia in Canberra. This was quite a surprize to see my saggy roof, over night the front section was like the photo. The Blue Mountain run sounds good.