The value of having a spare wheel

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Last night, 2 miles from the ferry terminal in Hull, complete flat tyre on my friends Range Rover. We were already running late and between the 4 of us changed the wheel in F1 time! Even though a new full fat Rangey it had a space saver. The original 20 inch tyre was totally shot, foam would not have got us going.
Got on board ship just in time, and arranged LR recovery to meet us this morning in Zeebruga.
There waiting for us on arrival, but insisted they transported us to the LR main dealer. Couple of hours for them to sort a new tyre so the dealer principle dropped us off in Brugge in a new Jaguar F Pace...very nice.
All now sorted and cruising down France to Morzine.
Tyre cost 480 euro's plus fitting etc bill came to 611 euro's. Ouch! Looking on blackcircles, £150...
However if not for the spare we would still be in Hull!
Hence why I have a space saver in the Maser!

Attachments

• DSC_0512.jpg
    DSC_0512.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 48

Wack61

why did you need LR recovery if you had a spare wheel, why not just drive it to a tyre shop ?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
why did you need LR recovery if you had a spare wheel, why not just drive it to a tyre shop ?

Yes you could, but LR recovery knew where the nearest LR dealer was with a 20 inch tyre ready and waiting. Also had an issue with one of the wheel nuts having been cross threaded needing a new nut. He had the service might as well use it!

What would you do with the wheel if you used the space saver......?
Eb

In the Rangey no problem. In the Maser not so easy but still possible.

Scaf

Well am in a similar predicament right now.
side wall puncture on the GTS whilst on the Grimsel Pass - hole so big it took five fixing plugs to get me off the pass into a a lay-by. Recovered to local town by RAC and tyre on order as its too late in the day for anything else. It will be late am before I am in the move again.
Bit of a bugger to say the least, but a space saver would not really have helped - only a full size spare and you would need two of them - so it's not an option.

alfatwo

Looks like your mate got stitched good and proper then Mike,...you could only get a stripped wheel nut on a pozy nearly new Land Rover, nothing changes there then, there dire..

Hope he didn't buy it with his own money!

Dave

MrMickS

All this talk on punctures on the way to the ferry has me worried. I don't have a spare and it's not really an option.

I'll have to check the kit I've got to make sure I know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scaf

All this talk on punctures on the way to the ferry has me worried. I don't have a spare and it's not really an option.

I'll have to check the kit I've got to make sure I know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would certainly not travel again without the rasp/plug/glue kit and a suitable mini compressor - and a water based "in tyre" sealant.

bigbob

I would certainly not travel again without the rasp/plug/glue kit and a suitable mini compressor - and a water based "in tyre" sealant.

So you managed to do the temp fix yourself? Result but still a pain to deal with.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Can I re-open this debate?

I have a space-saver for the QP, but I'm wondering if I would ever really use it. If I got a flat I would probably just call the RAC and get towed/trailered to somewhere where they could fix it, or source and fit a new tyre. Given the limited boot space in the QP, I was wondering whether to get rid of the spare and use that space for luggage (would need to remove - somehow - the unnecessary nasty metal spike for holding the tyre in the well). Also would need to cure the water ingress problem first!

allandwf

Never see the point in a space saver.

C

Depends entirely on circumstances and where you are. The choice of driving at 50mph to my destination, or sitting somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with no phone signal, I know which one I'd take!

MarkMas

Chief pedant
The choice of driving at 50mph to my destination, or sitting somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with no phone signal, I know which one I'd take!

Ah, but the choice is really:
- sitting somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with no phone signal
- kneeling somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night trying to get the @*%$@#! jack under the right bit of the car

CatmanV2

Ah, but the choice is really:
- sitting somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night with no phone signal
- kneeling somewhere in the pouring rain in the middle of the night trying to get the @*%$@#! jack under the right bit of the car

*Exactly*

C

CatmanV2

I'd still take the last option.
You are still in control not relying on others.

You have the illusion of control, really. I've had cars where I was unable to get the nuts off. Proper spider, 20st standing on it. And as for jacking up a GT or heaven forfend, a QP. No thanks. Not without a proper trolley (or bottle, perhaps, I've never used one) jack.

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Last year was driving in traffic through Hull to catch a ferry to Bruge.
We where running late. We had a complete flat in a new Range Rover..
That wheel and tyre was changed in less than 5 minutes, and we made the ferry. Any other option we would have missed that ferry, but, the choice is yours! Personally, I have a spare.