Rear shock absorber

rs48635

Thanks SteveM
Once I engaged brain and worked out that more tension was needed on Spring compressors it was easy. The QP has a circlip under the nut and washer. The olde one was broke after removal, luckily the new one survived. Unsure what purpose it serves but put it back in anyway.

rs48635

image.jpg

My old leaking shock on the left, separated fromthe spring. Only realised at this point how much quicker it would be to have two sets of Spring compressors.
NOTE - borrow or buy two sets before starting this job, will save at least an hour!

Ewan

I have a spare rear shock for a 2005/6 QP should anyone need one. Going cheap.

Keano

I replaced both of mine earlier this year when one leaked and I have one shock which came off the car if you are interested

rs48635

Already bought a used one thanks.
Got it fitted, and retained my own Spring. Got a clunk now, so check at the bottom shock revealed washer was not re-fitted. Sorted that out now still have a cluck.
Is the "crush washer" actually doing anything? Think the last time I fitted the bolt, it got mangled. Will re-assemble without that part. Maybe order new bolt and washer.

How many washers are supposed to be fitted?
Mine had one washer, located forward of the shock in between the hub carrier.
is there supposed to be a similar washer to the rear of the shock, so it is sandwiched between washers?

rockits

I will be interested in a spare shock or two as McGrath told me I had a weep on one of mine. Guessing it will need replacement at some point. Seems to make sense to replace both at the same time really with 2 new ones.

Do you know what the part number is or if it will be the right part.for a 2007/57 Exec GT?

Might even be a job I can do myself over the winter once I get my 4 post lift in next month!

rs48635

Have still got a rattle, from the rear shock area that I have just replaced.
Totally convinced the spring and shock are properly assembled. After removing from the car a fourth time I am certain it was properly fitted to the car (the last two times anyway).
Suspect the rattling noise might be the head of the bottom retaining bolt. Seems there is a deformable bush which surrounds the head of the bottom retaining bolt, inside the hub carrier. Will source a new one tomorrow.
Anyone done the job themselves and confirm?

rs48635

This thing - item 5 on page 621
Compensator ring part number 179555

does the ring compensate for the badly fitting bolt? :D

image.jpg

Keano

I will be interested in a spare shock or two as McGrath told me I had a weep on one of mine. Guessing it will need replacement at some point. Seems to make sense to replace both at the same time really with 2 new ones.

Do you know what the part number is or if it will be the right part.for a 2007/57 Exec GT?

Might even be a job I can do myself over the winter once I get my 4 post lift in next month!

I just checked Eurospares and if i choose the Model and Year for my 4.2 QTP 2009 it gives a different part number to the one that was taken off which Eurospares have listed as a 2010 Model.

The 2010 differs to the 2009 on price (£423 vs £178 !!) and in the Eurospares description where the 2009 Part number talks of a spacer. Next time i will get the part number from the existing part and search for that on Eurospares - https://www.eurospares.co.uk/search?partNumber=243984

Keano

rs48635

Wow!
Expected model after 2006 to have some differences, but not that much.
At that price is that the bottom bush / ball joint for the strut?
All I need is a bit of corrugated tin that surrounds the head of the special bolt part 5 in your diagram too.

just check the link - that is the price for a shock absorber :cool:.
Costs a grand for the pre 2006 unit.

jasst

Try Ross at Meridian Modena...they frequently match or beat ES. and there is a forum discount.

I spoke to Ross yesterday over some other things, and he refused to get into pricing war with ES, but you do get the forum discount.

rs48635

Just got part and expert advice from Ross, this forum is the best. The cheapest trident spare I have ever bought at three quid :D
Hope Royal Mail do me a favour and get it here tomorrow.
DId anyone else replace this item when ther leaking shock was replaced?

Ewan

I still have a spare rear shock suitable for a 2005/6 QP. Would that be any use to you?