Can you repair light surface scratches on carbon fiber?

jpmondalek

Perhaps some of our detailing friends on the site can chime in?

I just picked up some carbon pieces from a scrapped GranSport, including a bootlid spoiler. However, the spoiler has some surface scratches (i.e. carbon weave intact). Can this be repaired or polished?

Thanks chaps!

JP

conaero

Forum Owner
Jay can do it, he just mops it just like the paintwork, comes up like a million dollars!

He did a Fezzer in the past few weeks and the pics are on here somewhere.

JayOne

Perhaps some of our detailing friends on the site can chime in?

I just picked up some carbon pieces from a scrapped GranSport, including a bootlid spoiler. However, the spoiler has some surface scratches (i.e. carbon weave intact). Can this be repaired or polished?

Thanks chaps!

JP
yes as long as they are not to deep they can be safely removed,

if you look at this thread http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/2013-Ferrari-360-CS-detailed you can see the interior carbon fiber was restored with scuffs and scratches removed

jpmondalek

I'm afraid there are a couple that "catch the nail" as you described Jay.

See attached picture. This is the worst of it.

Carbon Fibre Spoiler.jpg

JayOne

I'm afraid there are a couple that "catch the nail" as you described Jay.

See attached picture. This is the worst of it.

View attachment 3473

That damage is beyond polishing out im afraid but it can be repaired, just a case of finding someone to re-lacquer them. I know some of the guys on the M3 CSL forum have had this done to their carbon fiber splinters on the front bumper

jpmondalek

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the prompt feedback.

I'll see who I can find locally in Dubai that is capable of such work.

stylo

I sell carbon fibre products - high end paddles for racing in canoes etc and when assembling usually use a couple of coats of clear gloss or semi-gloss lacquer (sp?) this seems to magically remove minor sanding marks etc. Usually mask off the areas I don't want to touch and do some very light coats. Depending on your options you might try this yourself and see if it works well enough. You should be able to remove the lacquer with white spirit if not happy but I'd check that out first if you can as probably different products sue different chemicals etc.