What are the best lease deals at the mo ?

Needamaser

Are those unbelievable deals real? Every time i ask they tell me its expired or the last one was taken an hour ago.......
Dem,
The Golf deal was real.
They started with white, black and metallic and the whites sold within hours. By this morning only metallic was left with 37 around mid morning.
I spoke to the contact Phil posted and also the local VW dealer who both gave the same story.
I was told they would be gone before 5pm and in the time it took to get paperwork approved they had all gone.
Local dealer says they used to just do entry level deals but the Golf R was the first high performance one she had seen but sure there will be more to follow.

dem maser

Dem,
The Golf deal was real.
They started with white, black and metallic and the whites sold within hours. By this morning only metallic was left with 37 around mid morning.
I spoke to the contact Phil posted and also the local VW dealer who both gave the same story.
I was told they would be gone before 5pm and in the time it took to get paperwork approved they had all gone.
Local dealer says they used to just do entry level deals but the Golf R was the first high performance one she had seen but sure there will be more to follow.

Fair enough

iainw

hot uk deals list a few, or there's a long running thread on pistonheads

there have been some cracking deals on it recently including a skoda yeti monte carlo DSG for £750 down, £80 a month 9+ 23 8K PA
That's insane!!
Almost a free car.
Next time I am going
To lease a second car for sure

bigbob

That's insane!!
Almost a free car.
Next time I am going
To lease a second car for sure

£7129 over two years or £11491 over three years for a private punter at 10k miles pa with no options on the car, if you want them they will be written off entirely over the length of the lease so, say, a £1000 glass roof will cost you an extra £41 or £28 per month. Not cheap really.

iainw

£7129 over two years or £11491 over three years for a private punter at 10k miles pa with no options on the car, if you want them they will be written off entirely over the length of the lease so, say, a £1000 glass roof will cost you an extra £41 or £28 per month. Not cheap really.

Are my maths off bob?
750 + 80x24(1920) = 2670 over 2 years.
I probably spend more on energy drinks.

bigbob

Are my maths off bob?
750 + 80x24(1920) = 2670 over 2 years.
I probably spend more on energy drinks.

Sorry mate can't get the link to work anymore.

I agree that if you want to have a minimal option car for only 2 or 3 years then leasing makes sense. However these deals are only set up to feed the production line with short term ownership customers who keep coming back for more....it's too controlling for me and locks you into the shiny new car addiction. A 9+23 also looks cheaper than the traditional 3+35. It's cynical marketing and will probably be regulated more strongly in the future as it is mis-representation designed to make you only look at the monthly payment not the huge deposit.

I prefer to buy the spec I really want and keep the car twice the length as depreciation is much less that way. Cash or PCP works for this. PCP is good as you can give the car back after, say, three years if the world ends or you can pay off the balance with cash or
an unsecured car loan, draw down mortgage etc.

m1980k

I'm coming off a 2 year lease deal and I'm going to get an '08 or '09 Audi S4 or AMG C63. A 9+23 £250 deal will cost me 8 grand over 2 years. And that's if I get another Mazda6, which comes fully loaded. Anything more interesting will need 2k of options so that's ten grand. If I buy the right S4 or C63, I'll be extremely unlucky to face depreciation plus running costs anywhere near that...

A small monthly payment makes people forget that they're taking a total hit of 30+ times that.

I also heard that this time round, the Golf R deals were a pricing error and you couldn't get them...

m1980k

And there are extra costs with a lease. 300 quid to the broker. Admin fee if you get a parking ticket and they have to pay it. Sorting out every little cosmetic thing before you return it...

iainw

Sorry mate can't get the link to work anymore.

I agree that if you want to have a minimal option car for only 2 or 3 years then leasing makes sense. However these deals are only set up to feed the production line with short term ownership customers who keep coming back for more....it's too controlling for me and locks you into the shiny new car addiction. A 9+23 also looks cheaper than the traditional 3+35. It's cynical marketing and will probably be regulated more strongly in the future as it is mis-representation designed to make you only look at the monthly payment not the huge deposit.

I prefer to buy the spec I really want and keep the car twice the length as depreciation is much less that way. Cash or PCP works for this. PCP is good as you can give the car back after, say, three years if the world ends or you can pay off the balance with cash or
an unsecured car loan, draw down mortgage etc.

Agreed. the options are a big issue and the sort of cars we would like would be too expensive.
I think it only works on the 'special deal' ones - i.e.: the 4c offer they were trying recently was impressive..

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Some friends of ours run both their cars on lease, a BMW M4 convertible and a top spec Range Rover Sport.
I can't imagine what the lease payments must be but they change their cars every 2 years.

alfatwo

All this easy credit on cars is coming to an end.. in the old days, if you didn't have the cash you don't have the car!

Dave

Wack61

Car sales will plummet or massive discounts will start, how the **** can a VW golf be 34K plus any extras

MrMickS

Some friends of ours run both their cars on lease, a BMW M4 convertible and a top spec Range Rover Sport.
I can't imagine what the lease payments must be but they change their cars every 2 years.

I don't understand this. It can't be that much cheaper than running a PCP with a balloon payment and there, at least, you have some equity in the car with the option to buy at the end of it. The only thing I can think is that its fixed costs but it seems like even more money down the drain than usual where new cars are involved.

outrun

I don't understand this. It can't be that much cheaper than running a PCP with a balloon payment and there, at least, you have some equity in the car with the option to buy at the end of it. The only thing I can think is that its fixed costs but it seems like even more money down the drain than usual where new cars are involved.

It's very dependent of the car you're buying. Simply, if the retained value of the car is high at the lease end and the discount to the lease company from the manufacturer is also high (which is was with the Golf R), the amount that the lease company needs to recover is smaller. In this case, leasing is far cheaper than PCP.

For example, we have a leased Volvo XC60. The list price was about £37k with options which equated to £6k deposit and £520 per month on a PCP "deal". We leased it for £347 per month on a 6+35 deal so about £2k for the first payment, then 347 thereafter. This also includes the tax disc costs. Regardless of what the car may or may not be worth after 3 years, the cost is far less over the term and when it's done, they can have it back.

If you want to quickly search the cost, I find this site is a useful tool. One to bookmark. The manufacturers blind you by not making it easy to play with your own finance example. Here, you can see the impact if you argue on the interest rate for example. By the way, you can ALWAYS argue on the interest rate but very few people do.

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/finance/calculators/carloancalculator.php

bigbob

Agree with that in that what type of car it is, what options you need, how long you will keep the car and what special offers are available are what are relevant; ie it's a bloody nightmare.

It would be far easier if list prices were dropped (they have gone up a lot of late, agree with Wack) as discounts are off the scale on most new cars now as long as they are not SUVs.

PS 20 years ago you got 5% off a German car, now it's 15-20% and sometimes more and they have had to resort to leasing to keep volumes going and residual values acceptable - it is all a pack of cards.

PPS If you are buying a car around the £40k new supertax level it's a pain living in a high list price/high discount culture as you can end up paying extra car tax for no real reason. Taxes and their implications.....