Classic Maserati as a daily driver?

There's a wealth of driving and ownership experience in here so I was wondering if there's a classic 80s or 90s Maserati that could make a reliable daily driver? I don't have a garage (although I could rent one if really needed) however I do have secure off-road parking and a cover. The daily commute would be about 20 mins of A road each way, so 40 mins per day in total. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

alfatwo

I can't see a problem.. I had a Bi turbo I used for 4 years back and forth to west London every week, they weren't called daily drivers back then, just a car you used....

There were some Sundays you had to fiddle about in the street to get it ready for the M40 the next day, other than that it was fine

I think we've all turned into wimps in that last 20years regarding cars!

Dave

allandwf

If I was in your position I'd find a nice Ghibli, or a Quattroporte IV if I could. You should be able to use that as a daily. As Dave says they are still just cars at the end of the day. Mine is pulled into airport duty every now and again, and abandoned for three weeks.

redsonnylee

A friend in the next street uses 1986 Ghibli every day, never had a major problem and it's fairly easy to work on.

CatmanV2

I rather doubt it. The parts seem to be made of finest unobtanium, and I'd expect the bodies to dissolve about October time.

I will now sit back with a malt and be proved wrong :)

C

allandwf

Splendid idea C, think I will join you. I would have thought if they were going to dissolve they would have done so by now.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Just got home after a late afternoon/evening classic car show in my Stag.
On way home called into my Mums, who recognised the V8 burble straight away.
Car 42 years old, used to use it as my daily in the 80's come rain, sun or even snow!
Could easily use her as my daily today if necessary, just like I did 30 years ago.
So a 'modern' 80's or 90's Maserati, no problem!

CatmanV2

Splendid idea C, think I will join you. I would have thought if they were going to dissolve they would have done so by now.

Well it appears (sips Jura) that I am in a minority here. Having *tried* to keep two 80s Alfas on the road, I am really surprised that they really won't just disintegrate. We had full re-builds on ours: One failed it's first MOT and the other started showing rust in 6 weeks.....

(sips more Jura)

Popcorn, anyone?

C

del mar

A daily driver on a warm sunny day - of course ......

Mine got wet this evening, I need the alcohol just to calm the nerves !

There are no ghibli headlights left and no windscreen trim rubbers. So whilst the car is reliable, running costs will be high

I would also find if you drive it every day then you start to lose "the magic / sense of occasion" driving it.

CatmanV2

I'll drink to that with an Auchentoshan, Cheers! What was this thread about again?

Who cares? It's about malt now :) Not sure I know Auchentoshan. I was about to confuse it with Abelour. Reading the tasting notes, I suspect I shall try and grab a bottle next time I go through LHR :)

C

allandwf

Who cares? It's about malt now :) Not sure I know Auchentoshan. I was about to confuse it with Abelour. Reading the tasting notes, I suspect I shall try and grab a bottle next time I go through LHR :)

C

Aberlour is a "safe" malt. i think a tasting session is in order. :)

MrMickS

C

Apparently Auchentoshan means 'corner of a field' in Gaelic. Not sure what relevance that has but I am partial to a nip from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk