Windscreen wipers

MarkMas

Chief pedant
You've got me worried now, as I bought an SP26 and an SP18 a couple of months ago, but haven't fitted them yet.

The SP26 came with TWO different connectors - one on the wiper (left in photo) that looks a lot like (but not identical to) the one in the instructions on page 3, and another one (right in photo) in a little box.

The one that came on the wiper (left in photo) looks as if it is sufficiently similar to do the trick. Might try tomorrow.

ensignia

I hate to ask, but are you sure you did the "insert the connector into the wiper arm half way" part?

I read and re-read the instructions and tried the halfway trick but to no avail.

This connector doesn't even look like it's detachable from the wiper blade, and like I mentioned it's slightly different in shape to those pictures.

I'll remove the wiper arm tomorrow and post some pictures.

ensignia

Didn't get a chance to remove the wiper arm because the weather was dreadful today, but here are some pics of the Bosch SP26S connector

1) The end showing where the wiper arm hooks into the blade
2, 3) The connector from both sides

No idea how to remove, and it doesn't fit snugly at all which means the entire blade can be removed from the wiper arm with ease.

CatmanV2

From memory on the GT that plastic insert just snaps out. Put that on the arm then put the blade on.

I'm sure someone with a better memory will be along shortly

C

MarkMas

Chief pedant
From memory on the GT that plastic insert just snaps out. Put that on the arm then put the blade on.

Yep, you can just snap it out. Easiest is by pressing with both thumbs at the same time, either side of the rotating centre.

Which gets you one of these:

Then you do step 3.

"insert the bosch connector into the wiper arm "hoop" half way"

ensignia

Cheers both, managed to get the connector off easily enough in the end - it did just pop off.

However it's slightly different now, and it won't secure the OEM Maserati arm to the wiper blade. I have both in my hands, and despite hearing a satisfying click it can be removed quite easily. So it looks like it needs a bit of modification to make it fit.

VfBXPJnh.jpg

ensignia

Highly likely. The only critical piece would be the diameter of the rod that the plastic bit clips onto. I really doubt there's any difference, so I say crack on.

C

The old clip is too wide to slot into the Bosch blade.

Think I'll just get some wipers that actually fit rather than trying to shoehorn these Bosch SP26's.

I believe the Denso's require some modification too?

CatmanV2

Think I'll just get some wipers that actually fit rather than trying to shoehorn these Bosch SP26's.

Wow. That's a PITA. I think the Densos fitted, yes. Sure I still have the boxes in the garage (see the classified thread!) The OEM ones are £eeek

C

MarkMas

Chief pedant

That is annoying, because they definitely used to be fine. I will try the newer clip tomorrow.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
That is annoying, because they definitely used to be fine. I will try the newer clip tomorrow.

I have just replaced my 2018 Halfords SP26S with a 2020 SP26, and it seemed to work fine. The little clips on the old and new ones were identical.
  • I yanked off the old ones with brute force.
  • Slid the new clip onto the hook half way. It was a bit reluctant to slide on, but in the end it went on (all the way) with a firm push, and then I had to pull it back far enough to expose the slot for the blade. (I think the sticky-out, bendy 'wings' on the leading edge of the clip help it to be forced onto the hook.)

• Then clipped in the new blade.
  • Then pushed all the way.
There is a bit of 'play' back and forth (as there was with the old one), where the wiper and clip slides up and down the hook by maybe 0.5cm, but it basically seems fine.

I then did the same with the SP18 on the other side.

I will let people know if they fly off.

ensignia

Ok, managed it in the end. Required a lot of brute force and broke off a tiny sliver of plastic on the connector, but it's on there very secure now with no movement at all.

As a back up the old clip can also fit if you sand down the edges to make it slimmer.

Thanks as ever for the useful advice, chaps :)

CatmanV2

Ok, managed it in the end. Required a lot of brute force and broke off a tiny sliver of plastic on the connector, but it's on there very secure now with no movement at all.

As a back up the old clip can also fit if you sand down the edges to make it slimmer.

Thanks as ever for the useful advice, chaps :)

Now go and tidy your desk ;)

C

Kiwibrit

Help! I’m trying to replace the blades on my new to me 2011 GC. Bought Denso replacements.
The passenger side was a 30 second job but for the life of me I cannot get the old Bosch driver blade off. Here’s the pic…it doesn’t shift when I lift up the ‘top’ latch and there is not much play in the arm as it only lifts a few inches. I thought removing would be the easy part.

Can anybody help me save £100!!

Attachments

• F33E9991-9F1C-48D1-A762-0A76EF9EB550.jpeg
    F33E9991-9F1C-48D1-A762-0A76EF9EB550.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8