The search

montravia

Gentlefolk,

Next week sees me viewing several cars, GS and Grantourismo, including Richard who has tantalised me with what may be the perfect match.
But I'd be silly to rule out some others: the GS's are pricing in the same bandwidth as similar age/mileage Grantourismos. Not sure whether I like the aggressive appearance of the GT, but my wife does.

I'm hugely indebted to Stevie for his generosity in time and effort: his black Gransport Spyder brought tears to the eyes, and his knowledge and impartial advice was invaluable. I had a fabulous and fruitful time. Thank you Stevie.

I was going to pop over to either Ace Café or the Bristol meet recently, but I had things going on which clashed.

Some contenders are listed here:
This chap doesn't understand that a clutch readout is necessary 'cos he says that it's an automatic and the car doesn't have one. Do I really want to buy from someone who doesn't understand the first thing about the car?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=3

Lakeside have two that I may be interested in:-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=4
and
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=5
Don't know what Lakeside are like, and I've asked for readouts
There's this from Dove House:-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=8

Romans have a couple too:-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=6

but it's website says it's sold.

Lastly from Boss:-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&onesearchad=nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=2
That's a fabulously charismatic picture: Rare 'Get out of my way'. Hmmm, I'm not really that sort of chap.

If anyone knows these cars or the dealers, I'd be grateful for views on either the car or dealer. Private-mail me if you'd prefer to speak plain.
Nuvolo or ADG don't seem to have anything at the moment.

I haven't gat a pic of Dickies yet, but I'll probably be more comfortable knowing that his will be well and truly sorted and shall certainly be visiting next week.

Looks like I'll be covering some miles next week.

Thanks chaps

Robin

CatmanV2

The first one *is* an automatic and doesn't have a clutch....

In fact all the GT's you've listed are ZF automatics.....

C

rockits

The GS is a full manual with no clutch pedal but with the auto hydraulic clutch. The auto mode is there but it isn't great. Think of it more like a manual.

The ZF auto is a more conventional slushbox but has a nice paddle operated manual mode. Almost as good as a GS in manual mode but much much better in auto.

If you want an auto then go ZF. If you want both go for the ZF. If you want a more sporty driver focussed & driver controlled manual box with character the GS is great.

rockits

I rarely ever use my CC box in auto. Maybe only when I'm drinking some water or nibbling a banana to shift for me. The rest of the time I shift myself.

CatmanV2

The ZF box is great, but not the same. I had my CC box set up by them what know (Voicey) and it gave you a proper kick in the back. The other thing is the CC (at least on my very early software) was much better at downshifting. Although I'm still getting used to the ZF

C

philw696

The ZF box is great and very good in the manual mode and no clutch costs to worry about either.
If you are spending time city driving it's the best option as heavy traffic can destroy the F1 clutch prematurely admittedly mainly through bad driving.
If it's fast cross country/euro trips then F1 all the way.

hoyin

The ZF box is great and very good in the manual mode and no clutch costs to worry about either.
If you are spending time city driving it's the best option as heavy traffic can destroy the F1 clutch prematurely admittedly mainly through bad driving.

What do you class as bad driving that would prematurely kill the clutch?

montravia

Tried a GT 57 plate, 27k miles at Lakeside. Very refined and compliant until that is ...................
........................................................................................................................................I PUT ME FOOT DOWN.

Kickdown very smooth indeed, it felt creamy rather than a kick in the back, but there again I was hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life.

I've a GS to see tomorrow, 2006 with 43.4k on the clock, together with another GT 2008 with 33k on the clock, and lastly a another 2007 GT with 33.5k and then decide by the end of the week.

Although I've been a passenger in a GS, it'll be interesting to see how the GS feels under the foot compared to today's GT. Suspect more immediately engaging and driver feedback.

Robin

MrPea

Hi Robin!

Out of those choices, I like the look of the second one. I guess for me it's just a heart thing of that dark blue with tan hide inside is a lovely combination.

Anyway, to answer other questions, as others already have... the F1 manual in the GS is definitely the sportier, more engaging drive. To me, that gives a great sense of occasion, and I know you wouldn't really be using the Maser as a daily. As for the GT, they're great grand tourers! Very comfortable, sounding awesome and you have the option of fun at your fingertips.

You'll know when you drive the right one, and I look forward to meeting up with you when you've bought it.

CatmanV2

Tried a GT 57 plate, 27k miles at Lakeside. Very refined and compliant until that is ...................
........................................................................................................................................I PUT ME FOOT DOWN.

Kickdown very smooth indeed, it felt creamy rather than a kick in the back, but there again I was hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life

Even better in manual, so you're in the right gear before you stamp on the loud pedal, as opposed to the split second after.

C