3200 valve adjustment

mab

Hi all,

I am about to change cam belt on my QP V8. In relation to this, I also plan to measure and, if needed, adjust the valve clearences.

As the construction of my engine in this case is identical with the 3200 I wonder if anyone here have adjusted the valve clearences and if so, how you did? I am mainly thinking of the removal of the old shim. There is a special tool from Maserati to help removing the old shim, which I unfortunately dont have. I am therefore very interested in any alternative solutions (if there are any) apart from buying the expensive tool.

Best regards,

Mattias

Boomerang_GT

The Maserati tool costs unbelievable 700 Euro. There are some who managed to copy this tool.
And others managed to modify the Ferrari Spoon in order to change the shim.
I hat a tool similar to the Ferrari spoon which I tried to modify, but it broke.
So if there is anyone to provide a working tool, I would like to show my interest! :)

mab

Thanks for the information! No unfortunately the Maserati tool is no option due to the price.

Qyestion is then if there may be any other tools out tere that may work(modified or in original condition)?

Could a relatively simple tool like this work, or is the space to tight in the engine?
http://www.partsplaceinc.com/produc...?keyword=VW+Valve+shim+pliersKD2813&sku=13678

Edit: if I would buy this set, do you know what modifications that would have to be carried out to make it work on the Maserati 3.2 V8?
http://www.hillengineering.co.uk/catalog/95979560-as9560-p-367.html

IAB

I have done this on a 3200 the engine space too tight for the tools shown. I made a tool from some angle steel that I drilled to fit on the bearing cap bolts. Then I made a plunger out of threaded alloy tube, cut to sit on the top edge of the tappet. With a bolt some nuts and washes and lots of time I assembled the 'tool' to push the tappet down pressing against the angle steel bolted to the bearing cap. The design is a simple copy of the Maserati tool, one big problem is to position the tool to allow the shim to be removed as the shim sits partly under bearing cap.
This process and timing the camshafts using 3 dial gauges for each bank of cylinders took 5 evenings to complete.

Boomerang_GT

@Mab: The VW tool does not help much because it's just for picking out the shims after the valve was pressed down.
The hill engineering tool is what is known under Ferrari spoon. It needs to be bent in some way. Problem is that it's quite hard and may crack. So heating up can help.

allandwf

Has there been any instances of any 3200s needing reshimmed, or is this "just in case". ?

Boomerang_GT

Valve adjustment is one of the major tasks when owning a 3200 GT. It is said that many engine damages were caused due to a overheated vale because valve play setting was neglected due to its high cost. I found a bill from the previous owner of my GT where it wrote that valve adjustment had been done some 5000mls ago. Still I found 2 exhaust valves having just 0,15mm play instead of 0,40mm
This might become a problem when trying to hit 300km/h ;)

mab

Thanks for all your answers and input, very appreciated!

I have ordered a valve adjustment set for motorcycles (suzuki or Kawasaki). No idea if it will fit or work, but i thought it could be worth a try since it was rather cheap and since it also included the "spoon tool" if the tool for pressing the bearing caps down. My guess is that the tool for keeping the bearing cap down will not fit (although it serms to have slimmer design than the Ferrari tool), so I will likely have to try and have something mashined.

Boomerang_GT

It will not fit unless you modify it! the spool needs to be bent quite a bit and the cap holding tool needs to be reduced in size since its too large to fit under the camshaft.

spacecadet

Does it mean that the adjustment can be done with the camshaft in place using this special tool, and not how the manual describes? The process applies to the V6 engines too, right?

mab

Yes I am prepared for that modifications will be needed. As it was rahter cheap, I thought that it could be a good start in my attempts.

Spacecadet: no unfortunately only the 3.2 biturbo V8, for the v6 engines you must remove the cam shafts.

Boomerang_GT

The Maserati manual describes leaving the camshafts untouched and using the Maserati tool that holds down the cup tappets.

Yes the 3200's are tight, and lack of maintenance can lead to burnt exhaust valves. I've used the Ferrari tool for some years now (at Ferrari/Maserati dealership I used the the mas OE tool) without issue. When these cars were much newer it wasng uncommon for unscrupulous dealers to remove and refit rocker covers and replace the shoelace seal without doing the adjustments......

mab

Interesting to hear that the Ferrari spoon tool worked for you without any modifications!

Boomerang_GT

Since it's about time to get my valves done: does anyone has a tool at hand to change the shims?
Selling or borrowing it? :D
Or any hint where to get it for a reasonable price?
Thanks for any advice!

Contigo

Sponsor
Ask Voicey, you can check the valve shimming using a home made feeler gauge. The Maserati tool is expensive but you can actually use an Allen key for fitment/removal of shims.

Last edited:

voicey

I've been working with Hill Engineering to bring an improved version of the factory tool to market. The prototype is in production right now and I'll be testing it soon...

Contigo

Sponsor
I've been working with Hill Engineering to bring an improved version of the factory tool to market. The prototype is in production right now and I'll be testing it soon...

Great news, I'd be interested that's for sure.