Replacing front grille emblem on the GT

safrane

It is on the GS...Remove the grill and mark where the old one fits. Then unbolt and refit.

Grill on the GS is held on with a number of hex headed bolts.

adrianr

I am no mechanic but tackled this job myself on my QP after somebody stole the badge! It wasn't difficult just slightly fiddly bolting the screws onto the emblem, but with the grill removed not too much of a problem. My biggest issue was trying to unscrew the front grill fittings using various different pozi drive heads on numerous screw drivers - before the realisation that they were hex heads!! You now know so won't fall into that trap. I wouldn't have either if I had worn my glasses - or come to accept that I don't see as well these days! Good luck .... it does look great when its replaced with the new one!

rs48635

BTW - always buy a new emblem before removing the old one. Mine seems to be made from polo tinfoil wrapping.

While you are in there..........
Painting my grille and inner panels, so removed the Trident. No time to get a new one before Carfest North so will be 'improvising'. One can of Halfords Satin Matt black has transformed the dull, dirty, fly spattered inner grille panel.

safrane

They look so cheap in comparison to the pre face lift 4200s and the 3200...now they were quality trident symbols.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
They look so cheap in comparison to the pre face loft 4200s and the 3200...now they were quality trident symbols.

Yes, sold lump of polished metal proudly supported upright in front of the grill, just like the rear Maserati script, again solid chromed bolted in position, not a cheap piece of 'chromed plastic'!
Also the later cars they decided to add chromed plastic shrouds around the lights in the headlight units...really???!

Attachments

• Grill 5.jpg
    Grill 5.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 22

highlander

They look so cheap in comparison to the pre face loft 4200s and the 3200...now they were quality trident symbols.

Totally agree, these look like cheap sh1t, and that is not a comment on newer cars, just the quality of the tridents.

Ryandoc

I see an opportunity arising, sure some company with a fancy CNC machine could knock up some quality solid items ??

Ryandoc

Id definitely be up for one assuming the quality was there, doesn't look that hard a item to make ?

allandwf

Newer cars were built with more of an eye on cost, 3200/4200 was making a statement reintroducing the marque. This is meant in no way to undermine them, but the little things seem to be made to a cost. It seems to be the way of things, I have a Mistral trident above my garage door it is made of solid brass, my 3200 trident while metal, is hollow, the modern trident is hollow plastic! Cost cutting where they can.

rs48635

can we retro-fit the metal item to the QP? No way I am paying £60 for the same plastic part.

MikeyMaser

I finally got the parts and had a stab at doing this - turns out it wasn't too bad a job even for a non-mechanic like me.

I used a T20 Torx key to unbolt the grille fastenings, then disconnected the parking sensors. These were a bit of a pain as you had to pull a clip to release them and access was difficult. I used pliers to unbolt the old badge from the grille and bolted the shiny new badge into place, then reconnected parking sensors and reattached the grille.

I'm quite pleased with the results!

Here's some photos of before, during and after.

IMAG1606.jpg

IMAG1654.jpg

IMAG1656.jpg

I also changed the C-pillar badges which was a piece of **** as they are just stuck on!

IMAG1655.jpg

stevo

If anyone is looking for a new grill for a GT I just remembered I have one after buying it about 12 months ago but the garage beat me and fitted a new one. Mine is still in the Maserati box.