Loudest exhaust?

Morebeans

Thought I'd test the soundmetre before next weekend and the ASBO showdown - it's a Kewtech 325:

For reference my car recorded the following at 0.5m from the exhaust at a 45 degree angle -

Tick over valves closed - 78db
Tick over valves open - 92db
9k rpm - 131.3db

Recorded outside.

Which Maser will take the crown?

Contigo

Sponsor
Mine doesn't rev to redline in Neutral so won't be as loud!

Cue drew saying the decibel meter it won't be calibrated correctly :D

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd test the soundmetre before next weekend and the ASBO showdown - it's a Kewtech 325:

For reference my car recorded the following at 0.5m from the exhaust at a 45 degree angle -

Tick over valves closed - 78db
Tick over valves open - 92db
9k rpm - 131.3db

Recorded outside.

Which Maser will take the crown?

'kin 'ell! Good job, Beans. :smile:

Morebeans

My lad's been complaining that his left ear has been ringing today after standing at the business end of the exhaust today.
For further reference my Vauxhall Astra managed a meagre 98db!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Morebeans

Mine doesn't rev to redline in Neutral so won't be as loud!

Cue drew saying the decibel meter it won't be calibrated correctly :D

Checked with our HSE rep this morning:

Soundmeter was purchased a few weeks ago and ships calibrated from the factory to within 0.5db. They only recalibrate once per annum.

Here's my top 3 prediction:

MAF
Benny
Contigo

Contigo

Sponsor
I might have to get a remap so it revs right round to 7250 rpm in Neutral so as to increase the volume. Heaven knows why it is limited to about 5500rpm!

drewf

Is that with the meter at 45deg, 0.5m from the exhaust, 1m off the ground? I'm amazed you recorded 131 - the F1 cars are making 128, and the really obscenely loud old F1 just made 140. FIA GT2/GT3 noise regs state that the maximum level allowed is 110dB. The road cars even with the modified exhausts really aren't louder than those essentially unsilenced race cars.

Dan!

Noise levels
Noise Average decibels (dB)
Leaves rustling, soft music, whisper 30
Average home noise 40
Normal conversation, background music 60
Office noise, inside car at 60 mph 70
Vacuum cleaner, average radio 75
Heavy traffic, window air conditioner,
noisy restaurant, power lawn mower 80-89 (sounds above 85 dB are harmful)
Subway, shouted conversation 90-95
Boom box, ATV, motorcycle 96-100
School dance 101-105
Chainsaw, leaf blower, snowmobile 106-115
Sports crowd, rock concert, loud symphony 120-129
Stock car races 130
Gun shot, siren at 100 feet 140

GeoffCapes

I guess if they all use the same meter at the same distance, regardless of whether it is correct to NASA levels of sensitivity, it'll give a winner.

However, bring it to Brands Hatch as I won't be at Brunty unfortunately. :(

Morebeans

I guess if they all use the same meter at the same distance, regardless of whether it is correct to NASA levels of sensitivity, it'll give a winner.

However, bring it to Brands Hatch as I won't be at Brunty unfortunately. :(

Will do Mark!

hilts uk

My MCV with Larini x pipe and sports cats was a little over 95 in non sport mode at Goodwood - limit is 105. I think in sport mode I would have just over 100 and stock it would be about sub. There was a rally car on the track that was well over the limit (and sounded stupidly loud) but all other cars (mainly Aston's and Modern Ferrari's) were under the 105 limit. I would shocked if anyone is over 120 when measured at 75% of max revs at the right distance but happy to be proved wrong!

Caldy999

Coming from a 100cell sport catted RS4, today I contacted the guy who built the exhaust for me. I wanted free flowing, louder and more power but he refused to work on the car. He has heard of £5000 fines for those who have carried out work on cars registered post 2001. A VOSPA inspection of the books and all **** breaks loose. He is waiting for the likes of Milltek etc to be hit in the future.
So where does that leave me??? Any hints for north easterners please?

Ewan

That doesn't sound right to me. Why would exhaust manufacturers make (and openly advertise) items that were illegal and likely to land them with fines?

Caldy999

He knows his stuff and works a lot on big V8's and race cars. Mine was the only RS4 he did as he was wary back in 2010. I've tried to find the relevant legislation but failed so I'll try and pop in for a chat with him.

RSM Masser

That doesn't sound right to me. Why would exhaust manufacturers make (and openly advertise) items that were illegal and likely to land them with fines?

No idea
Start with, Yoshimura, Akrapovic, Two Brothers, Terminogi, Arrow, Scorpion etc etc, the list is endless for motorcycle exhausts

My MoT report says "exhaust loud" and has done for the past 5 yeas