Fuel Filling Problem

voicey

Start with the carbon canister - if this gets blocked then the vapour from the tank cannot be released quickly enough. I replaced one and the owner thought there was a hole in the tank when he filled it up as it took so much more fuel than normal.

mchristyuk

Start with the carbon canister - if this gets blocked then the vapour from the tank cannot be released quickly enough. I replaced one and the owner thought there was a hole in the tank when he filled it up as it took so much more fuel than normal.

Thanks Voicey. This does appear to be the common consensus. Will order one up and report back in due course...!

Cheers

Mark

mchristyuk

Well I changed the Carbon Canister today.. and it didn't make any difference. The one that came out certainly didn't seem blocked either.

So back to square one.

I'm still convinced it's the thing at the end of the filler neck inside the tank causing the issue. It appears to be a spring loaded metal plate that seals the tank.. and it's not that easy to push open and does so with a bit of a click.. I can't see how petrol alone could force it open enough not to cause the petrol to back up like it is.

Not sure what my options are now... perhaps a second hand tank?!

Mark

allandwf

Is it too far down for the nozzle to push out the way? Maybe that's why some people swear by turning the nozzle sideways or upside down on these.

mchristyuk

Fixed it!

Carbon canister breather pipe which vents to air in the wheel arch had got kinked against the wheel arch liner essentially blocking it. Pulled it back 5mm. Sorted. Drinks petrol like a Maserati should now!

image.jpg