Castle Combe 29 October 2016

luckesGTV6

SUPERCAR SATURDAY pops above the horizon again. :happy2:
Oh gosh, Yippee! W:rofl5:W even!
I sadly realised that many of you guys have been kicking yourselves black & blue for missing out on last years event, probably due to prior engagements etc. so I have posted this advice early - you won't need to bear that misery again if you jot it in your diary - right now!

FYI:-

This years event features:-
1. Passenger rides at speed around the race circuit in a most bewildering choice of exotic machinery, as yet to be finalised.
2. Your challenge in the slalom driving competition adjacent to the paddock.
3. Static displays featuring a variety of ogle-worthy cars and supercars.
4. An atmospheric venue in which to meet up again with your dear ‘ole buddies and mingle amongst other car enthusiasts amidst screaming engines and tortured tyres, excitement and fear, the smell of hot oil, ice cream, burnt rubber, the restaurant, claybar Solvol Autosol and synthetic polish. Truly a most convenient meeting place not only for us guys from the Brizzle area but also from far far afield, as the M4/M5 intersection is a mere lazy spit away. (by comparison of course)

The Programme of Events -

8.30am - Suggested time of arrival for our shiny SportItalia exhibiting cars.

From the organisers:

9am – Public Gates Open

Registration for circuit passenger rides at the Control Tower

9.30am - Passenger Rides start. (£here is a charge for this but last year you had a 'freebie' if you FTD'd on the Autosolo slalom)

The list of cars for 2016 will be released when finalised.
Last year there were many, many fine and interesting marques and models being driven furiosly on track including : Nissan GTR, Subaru Impreza, Lotus Exige, Audi R8, Radical SR3, Ariel Atoms, a fine Alfa Romeo. Miscellaneous Drift Cars and others.

10am – Bristol Motor Club Slalom Autosolo Experience starts. Hint: Fluid change your steering reservoir.

5pm - Event closes.

-----------------------------------
Driving ontrack:

If anyone with an interesting car (road or track) wants to volunteer themselves and their vehicle for providing circuit rides then it's best to contact the organisers direct (amy.spencer@stroke.org.uk) as they have the final say on this. Please mention SportItalia when you email them.

Bear in mind that there is a Noise limit and all track cars are checked: STRICTLY 100db(A), which is measured at ½ metre from the exhaust outlet at 4500rpm.

For very rough guidance an Alfa 916 GTV 3.0 measured 85db(A) last year. - It had the standard mild steel exhaust and Cat, the mid silencer removed and a mild steel tailpipe with standard attenuator.

Note: Most stainless systems use thinner metal and seem to exhibit strong resonances through the rev range which hopefully won't coincide with 4500 rpm! There is a company at the circuit who can usually fix exhaust non-compliance problems.
The gentleman from Brum who graced our display with the Beautiful dusky MasserXpipeLariniThingy last year could possibly have failed quallie for the track, in my opinion!! - (Wiltshire TV News, reportedly) reported two mild earth tremors at about 8.30 am and 4.30 pm. in the Chippenham area.

Finally, you will need to bring a crash helmet.

-----------------------------------

Back to Static display.

Last year some pictures were posted of the event if you want to get a flavour of what's there.
Weatherwise it was overcast in the morning but brightened up & was sunny later.

Now guys, I'm hoping that SportsItalia marques will have a fine display area again this year but that depends on the kindness of your goodselves in taking the time to prep your ‘Bella' for public display and of course attending!
Surely we can at least outnumber the Japanese Lotus Elan clones (I spitta de floor!) this year?

Gentlemen, Ladies.

The List is now open:

AndyG

Well, so far it's been called:

1. The noise machine(by the Wife)
2. Slightly more than epic (by a passenger)
3. Beautiful dusky MasserXpipeLariniThingy

But they all make me smile, as she's all mine and she makes me smile !

Yes put me down, as it's not a bad day out, but as you suspect it's possibly to load to run on the track

4fc74ef04c3871dbc90d11b19cb49817.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luckesGTV6

Well, so far it's been called:

1. The noise machine(by the Wife)
2. Slightly more than epic (by a passenger)
3. Beautiful dusky MasserXpipeLariniThingy

But they all make me smile, as she's all mine and she makes me smile !

Yes put me down, as it's not a bad day out, but as you suspect it's possibly to load to run on the track

4fc74ef04c3871dbc90d11b19cb49817.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi ANDYG,

Well done, You're No 1 on the list and we all look forward to seeing you again.
Your photo from last year demonstrates exactly why I struggled to describe the sight and sound of your 'Bella'!
Anyone else popping down from your locale to the event do you know?

CatmanV2

Tempted but we'd have to make a weekend of it and Mrs Catman is supposed to be working. We'll discuss

C

Contigo

Sponsor
I'm up for it! My car is very quiet and known as the Whisperer so will be fine in terms of dB. I'll gladly do some laps!

luckesGTV6

I'm up for it! My car is very quiet and known as the Whisperer so will be fine in terms of dB. I'll gladly do some laps!

Hi Contigo,

Great you want to go ontrack. I can talk to the organisers but its probably better if you email Amy direct on the link I posted 'cos they have the final responsibility for what goes onto the circuit.

Let us know if you are successful 'cos I had been taught since infancy that Maseratis can't whisper and I'd like to hear one ontrack that does! My brother has a neighbour with a Masser and he would love it to whisper at 7am! :)

luckesGTV6

Hi Nick,

Glad you will be there. Are you part timing this year or can you do the whole day?

Hah! I thought everyone had forgotten the 'episode of the keys'. What a commotion - about 20 helpers 2 course service vehicles & staff many mobile phone calls and what seemed almost a complete dismantling then re-assembly of the GTV.
Thiefproof or what! I was very relieved and thankful for the help.
I'm hoping to get a drive again this year as I was a bit unsettled after that and even forgot one of the chicanes (it were'nt there when I raced the bikes in yonks of yore!)

MrMickS

I'm considering it but would have to be part of a trip to the in laws. Will discuss it and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckesGTV6

I'm considering it but would have to be part of a trip to the in laws. Will discuss it and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi MrMickS

:cool: Hope you can make it with your 'Bella'

If it helps you, it is possible to arrange to leave the display before the end of the meeting.

Andyk

You can get a muffler for the exhaust if you want to go around track...Castle Coombe sell them there....or used to....it's just like a condom for the end of the pipes which they do in different sizes..look ridiculous mind but do the trick.

lisknik

Hi Nick,

Glad you will be there. Are you part timing this year or can you do the whole day?

Hah! I thought everyone had forgotten the 'episode of the keys'. What a commotion - about 20 helpers 2 course service vehicles & staff many mobile phone calls and what seemed almost a complete dismantling then re-assembly of the GTV.
Thiefproof or what! I was very relieved and thankful for the help.
I'm hoping to get a drive again this year as I was a bit unsettled after that and even forgot one the chicanes (it were'nt there when I raced the bikes in yonks of yore!)

No chance I'm forgetting that!! :) Don't know will have to see what the Saturday rota is :(

luckesGTV6

You can get a muffler for the exhaust if you want to go around track...Castle Coombe sell them there....or used to....it's just like a condom for the end of the pipes which they do in different sizes..look ridiculous mind but do the trick.

Hi Andy,

If thats the funny grey thing that looks as if the car has had a prolapse, or whatever the medical term is, then they were fitted to several track cars last year so they're probably current stock at the circuit.

Hope you're planning to be at the meet again this year 'cos Brera's do look good - I was recently amazed by a retro Top Gear cool wall where Hammond became over excited, grabbed the Brera photo from Clarkson and rushed to a secluded corner of the studio!

There's been an excellent response from the Maserati guys so far so lets hope that there is less of an oriental bias at the meeting this year.