Considering a Maserati - 3200, 4200 or Gransport

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
In years to come it will be down to condition and mileage across the range.
Totally biased...the first generation 4200 like the 3200 is so pure. Adding the plastic chrome head light bezels, plastic grills and Tridents does not add anything, simply marketing at the time, which is what a facelift is all about, to entice new owners to buy a newer model...that is essentially the same!

MikeyMaser

I certainly wouldn't dismiss Dickys blue Gransport. Yes the interior may not be for everyone but it will be a great car and a decent price.

Looks nice that blue one! :) Is it Mario's that I was looking at buying four years ago?

safrane

I think my opinion on the GS/4200 is widely known on here...I prefer the latter because it met my use profile more than the GS.

But that doesn't mean its worth less or more.

I see the 4200 offering almost everything the GS does but at a 25% saving.

rockits

One thing I don't get and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the 4200 & GS both offered at the same time from 2004 to 2007 at pretty much the same price new?

If so why should an identical 4200 be worth any less or more than a GS? Surely just down to personal prefer on cosmetics aside from very minor mechanical details. Therefore prices should be fairly close should they not.

Ewan

Theoretically. But in reality, more people prefer the GS, which therefore pushes the value above that of a standard 4200. The GS is generally seen to be the top of the breed, so even if some think the difference is only small, the public voting with their wallets think differently and are happy to pay the upcost.

rockits

I think often many initially less informed people think the GS is a more expensive car new or much better car than the 4200 or higher in the range. As we informed people now know that is not really the case or possibly in a very minor way aside of cosmetics. This is what creates much of the increases in values due to this perceived value.

This is a good enough reason for most to keep GS values strong over a 4200. Possibly rightly so. For me would I pay £5k+ more for a GS over an identical facelift 4200? No I would not and did not. Obviously many and the majority disagree though which is why there is this premium attached to a GS.

I would say there is more risk in paying a premium for a GS over an identical facelift 4200. Why you may say. Will the divide get wider between the best GS's against the best facelift 4200's? I don't think so. Could the divide narrow or equalise? Quite possibly. Each to their own though.

GS's in numbers are no rarer than facelift 4200's maybe less rare even by raw numbers so the rarity value is not in place. Being a technical person & often working on facts, numbers & raw data we often have a hard time justifying perceptions, perceived values & anything other than facts, numbers & raw data. That is why I decided a facelift 4200 was to be my chosen stead.

spkennyuk

One thing I don't get and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the 4200 & GS both offered at the same time from 2004 to 2007 at pretty much the same price new?

If so why should an identical 4200 be worth any less or more than a GS? Surely just down to personal prefer on cosmetics aside from very minor mechanical details. Therefore prices should be fairly close should they not.

The last GS cars were 2006 apart from any late registered vehicles if any. 4200's carried on to 2007 (15 registered) and 3 were late registered in 2008 and 1 in 2009. There were also a couple of 4200's old new models registered in 2010 and 2013 from memory which i think was something to do with maserati singapore shutting up shop. Although the GS is perceived as the last of the of that body shell type its actually the 4200 that is the last.

Facelift 4200 numbers against GS numbers i suspect that there is not much difference.

Most of the media 4200 and GS comparisons are between the early 4200s and the GS. I dont think any of the reviews have compared a facelift 4200 against a GS as a direct comparison.

Andyk

There was a 6k difference in price between a GS and 4200 or 10k if you bought a manual 4200. I rememeber EVO saying at the time that the GS made the 4200 redundant and why would anyone go for the 4200 over the 4200....So has difference in price reallybthat mush bigger...20k for a 4200 face lift and 30k for a GS so 10k difference which is only 3k more than new...

rockits

OK that is all very interesting and good to know the facts.

Has anyone got the new car price lists & options for the last year or so of GS & 4200?

rockits

On any normal car if a model was £6k more new you would expect the gap to narrow slightly but it has widened in this case by a fair margin.

Contigo

Sponsor
I think the differences between the 4200 and GS are more than people admit, more aggressive looks, nicer bigger wheels, better interior and seats, valved exhaust system, sits 10mm lower, has quicker CC software (than the pre-facelift) and more power due to improvements on the intake manifolds and valve seats.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
There is one big advantage to the price difference, many can have the 4200 and join the fun, but may no be able to afford the GS or wish to spend the difference on other things or additional toys!

zagatoes30

Personal taste vary drastically and even on here opinions differ between all 3 models ultimately you find the best version for you and pay the price based on preferences and cash available. I don't see understand the GS / 4200 deferential and in my case I prefer the 4200 as I think the lines are cleaner without those surf boards but I do prefer the facelift front bumper but strangely not the rear one which is handy as that is exactly what my Spyder has.

Corranga

I always view The GS as the 'M3 CSL' to the 4200s 'M3.'
Higher tuned, more aggressive version aimed purely at the sports car market rather than the GT market. An interesting decision from Ferrari at the time perhaps?

I think the differences between the 4200 and GS are more than people admit, more aggressive looks, nicer bigger wheels, better interior and seats, valved exhaust system, sits 10mm lower, has quicker CC software (than the pre-facelift) and more power due to improvements on the intake manifolds and valve seats.

I think this post fits perfectly with my CSL analogy, which is why I'm posting it, BUT I think the problem is that they simply didn't make it different ENOUGH or better enough. The leap from M3 to M3 CSL is a big one, the 4200 to GS isn't so much, especially when some of the improvements (appearance) are so subjective.

Also some interesting comments on the motoring press at the time not comparing a face lift 4200 to a GS - it does make me wonder how many other cars are completely ignored due to the immediate press reaction, or, dare I say it, how much money the manufacturer pays the press...

Chris

GeoffCapes

I think the main reason why people are willing to pay so much more for a GS than a 4200 is the fact that they can put a decent stereo in it!

:jptongue::jptongue::jptongue:

Contigo

Sponsor
Yeah cos loads of us owners listen to music rather than have the windows open all the time!! :D

Andyk

OK that is all very interesting and good to know the facts.

Has anyone got the new car price lists & options for the last year or so of GS & 4200?

In Maserati chat there is a thread I posted on spec price etc..it's a sticky so near the top.