Interior treatment

conaero

Forum Owner
As a kean amateur detailer I have all my preferred products that I use for the exterior, glass and leather seats but have never found anything that cleans and conditions black plastic interior panels, dash etc. I hate the shinny silicone look. After some sort of Matt/semi gloss finish.

Am off to Halfords to get a clay mitt and some Demon Shine so might as well take advantage of the 3 for 2 offer.

Any recommendations?

spkennyuk

Thats a million £ question Matt. Nothing i am aware of will clean and condition black plastic interior trim and most commercial products either add a layer of silicone or wax to the surface. I tend to just wipe any vinyl / plastic panels and trim items with a wet micro fibre cloth to remove the dirt and finger prints and then wipe again with a dry MF cloth to remove any excess water or marks.

If its light plastic / grained vinyl then use some gliptone cleaner to remove the dirt just wipe off to dry and dont use the gliptone conditioner.

Caldy999

Interesting, never heard of it before. Is it good then and you have used it yes?

Yes, simple to apply. The more you buff, the less satin it becomes, but never approaches a silicon gloss.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry, dunno why they're upside down!

highlander

Like you Matt, I am a bit addicted to exterior detailing with half a wall of products to play with. For interior vinyl I'm with Spkenny though, MF cloth and water rather than add layers of wax or silicone. For Leather I use Meguirs conditioner and since I don't smoke in marci the alcantara just needs a quick going over with a small flat head on the Hoover now and again to keep it fresh and dust free.

Caldy999

A well known restorer in the north east swears by mild soap and water only for cleaning leather, quoting ' you can't feed something that's dead '! Anything you add only accumulates deposits which build up and up and......

safrane

Swisvax do a plastic cleaning and conditioner that looks great and does not look shiny after....I also use window cleaner (blue supermarket spray type) for dash tops etc as again it cleans without a shine.

Ebenezer

It's always bugged me that the black trim around my QP windows has shiny patches. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them so that they have a matt finish?
Eb

spkennyuk

It's always bugged me that the black trim around my QP windows has shiny patches. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them so that they have a matt finish?
Eb

Without seeing it then i cant say for sure but if it is similar to the plastic / rubber trim round your windscreen then try lightly rubbing over the shiny spot with a pencil eraser. Test a very small spot somewhere first. 2 or 3 swipes with the rubber and then wipe the rubber dust off and it should clean and remove the shine. I use the same trick to remove any excess polish or wax that gets on the exterior rubber trim.

A magic eraser sponge will do the same thing but not as quickly and use a little water with it.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well this morning and being impatient for my impeding trip to Halfords, I delved around at the back of the shelf and found my old AutoGlym interior trim conditioner. It says on the back, apply and wipe off for matt look, spray and leave for 5 mins for a shiny look. As I said above, I have never rated the stuff.

So I gave it a go and wiped off immediately and sure enough, it looked good.

Got in the car at lunchtime and it had gone all shiny, arghhh!

So off to Halfords, Demon Shine interior cleaner and Megs Interior detailer (plus some more Demon Shine exterior PINK as it was a 3 for 2) so it looks like I will be doing it again tonight. Ill report back.

Anyone got any suggestions with what to get the AutoGlym stuff off with, its going to be silicone based so was going to use a diluted heavy degreaser. I don't have any panel wipe or acetone.