GT - Sat Nav stuck on Maserati logo when it's cold

FerrersWay

You were correct.

I've actually been thinking that a faster hard drive might actually pep the overall system up a bit.

It's an interesting thought. When booting from cold it takes a good 20-30 seconds or so to load, but after this when restarting the car the boot is almost instant, which suggests that some power is being used to keep stuff in memory. It would almost certainly speed up the jukebox functions though as I doubt they paid extra for a quick drive!

I did a bit of playing around with the unit this evening, pulled out the lower section with the controls on it (where the volume control is) and was surprised to find out this seems to be the controlling part. Pulling a solid metal connector out of the back cut the screen to solid white (not the Maserati logo, just plain white) but the stereo/climate etc was still operational. Does this mean the screen is just a simple display?

A couple of cables looked like they had been caught on the metal and had a bit of their insulation removed, but not down to the point of bare wire and this wouldn't be temp sensitive either! There was an odd connector I couldn't work out, a big square block that looked like a junction block with Citroen/Peugeot written on it! This might have something to do with the Parrot system that was installed though

rockits

I'd be a bit surprised if a hard disk would perform instantly when warmer that cold to the levels you are experiencing though. Maybe a worn bearing is taking some time to spin up to ready speed to enable a successful boot or access. These drives are designed to work & operate at quite low & high temps so are pretty resilient in that regard.

Certainly imaging or dup'ing to a known working replacement disk would prove the point though for sure. If it doesn't resolve it then the issue is elsewhere. Maybe damaged/corrupt OS or software if not. However a dupe/image from a known working drive/Maser with working OS/software might be possible.

spkennyuk

You can still get Sata to Pata converters for less that £5. You may have to modify how the hdd is mounted to fit but it gives you the options to replace with a Sata drive if you can get past the encryption.

CatmanV2

How about a block level copy or duplication to a replacement IDE/PATA drive? I'd lend a hand if Hertfordshire is local for you. I'm sure we will have an old working drive knocking around to try. We can also test the old drive.

Not too far at all. I'd go for something like dd on my Mac. The challenge may be the source file system (but again may not matter). Been doing some digging for Zep around hi BMW system.

C

CatmanV2

It's an interesting thought. When booting from cold it takes a good 20-30 seconds or so to load, but after this when restarting the car the boot is almost instant, which suggests that some power is being used to keep stuff in memory. It would almost certainly speed up the jukebox functions though as I doubt they paid extra for a quick drive!

I did a bit of playing around with the unit this evening, pulled out the lower section with the controls on it (where the volume control is) and was surprised to find out this seems to be the controlling part. Pulling a solid metal connector out of the back cut the screen to solid white (not the Maserati logo, just plain white) but the stereo/climate etc was still operational. Does this mean the screen is just a simple display?

A couple of cables looked like they had been caught on the metal and had a bit of their insulation removed, but not down to the point of bare wire and this wouldn't be temp sensitive either! There was an odd connector I couldn't work out, a big square block that looked like a junction block with Citroen/Peugeot written on it! This might have something to do with the Parrot system that was installed though

Be very careful. The (technical) manual has dire warnings about frying the screen if you pull the cables in the wrong order.

C

CatmanV2

You can still get Sata to Pata converters for less that £5. You may have to modify how the hdd is mounted to fit but it gives you the options to replace with a Sata drive if you can get past the encryption.

I'd not want to try one of them, but....

The other bet is that the system won't be able to read a large partition.

I reckon the most likely cause of failure will be simple corruption due to the disc surface suffering occasional head crashes and / or seek failures. The bearing *may* fail, but it seems a tad unlikely.

C

rockits

Not too far at all. I'd go for something like dd on my Mac. The challenge may be the source file system (but again may not matter). Been doing some digging for Zep around hi BMW system.

C
We have standalone docks that do block level dupes/copies ignoring & irrespective of filing system so should work OK & be identical block level copy.

spkennyuk

I'd not want to try one of them, but....

The other bet is that the system won't be able to read a large partition.

I reckon the most likely cause of failure will be simple corruption due to the disc surface suffering occasional head crashes and / or seek failures. The bearing *may* fail, but it seems a tad unlikely.

C

Ive used the adaptors before with no ill effect in a base unit. They still work now but i understand in this fitting why you may want to avoid them. I was thinking more of years to come as a solution when Pata is no longer an option.

Reading the large partition can be got round. I think IIRC that partition magic allows you to set a partition of say 8 gig and make the rest invisible.

The was also a drive cloning software that made the new drive appear the same size as the drive you copied from. Im going back a bit but you could make say an 80 gig hdd appear as a 40 gig hdd so that the mother board/ bios would recognise it.

You may have an issue where the hdd is locked to the motherboard / bios like xboxes for example but im sure somebody can get round that.

CatmanV2

Ive used the adaptors before with no ill effect in a base unit. They still work now but i understand in this fitting why you may want to avoid them. I was thinking more of years to come as a solution when Pata is no longer an option.

Reading the large partition can be got round. I think IIRC that partition magic allows you to set a partition of say 8 gig and make the rest invisible.

The was also a drive cloning software that made the new drive appear the same size as the drive you copied from. Im going back a bit but you could make say an 80 gig hdd appear as a 40 gig hdd so that the mother board/ bios would recognise it.

You may have an issue where the hdd is locked to the motherboard / bios like xboxes for example but im sure somebody can get round that.

You are correct on every count, Stuart :)

C

FerrersWay

Be very careful. The (technical) manual has dire warnings about frying the screen if you pull the cables in the wrong order.

C

Thanks for the warning, have you got a copy of the workshop manual? That would be really useful with this.

Hertfordshire isn't too far from me (Reading) so would be happy to come and lend a hand with donor parts etc. Even if the hard drive isn't the cause of my issue knowing how to replace it would be useful

CatmanV2

Thanks for the warning, have you got a copy of the workshop manual? That would be really useful with this.

Hertfordshire isn't too far from me (Reading) so would be happy to come and lend a hand with donor parts etc. Even if the hard drive isn't the cause of my issue knowing how to replace it would be useful

Not a workshop manual, but the acadamy manual for the NIT

PM me your email address and I'll send it along

C

drewf

I think I'd be looking to replace it with an IDE SSD, rather than another HDD. Very easy to source and properly robust for the car environment unlike the obsolete HDD. There's unlikely to be sufficient *ahem* protection on the drive to prevent us cloning it.

CatmanV2

I think I'd be looking to replace it with an IDE SSD, rather than another HDD. Very easy to source and properly robust for the car environment unlike the obsolete HDD. There's unlikely to be sufficient *ahem* protection on the drive to prevent us cloning it.

Wasn't even aware that IDE SSDs were available, but if they are, indeed yes

C

drewf

They certainly are, and plenty of IDE/SATA or mSATA converters too. Very cheap... All the usual online suppliers have them.