GT - Sat Nav stuck on Maserati logo when it's cold

FerrersWay

Well, I hope I can remember how it goes back together!

IMG_1438.jpg

Managed to get the hard drive out pretty easily, it's a very slow 4200rpm drive. Just got to see if I have an IDE external disk caddy. Also looking to see if I can find a motherboard battery in there, could be that its struggling and needs replacing but haven't seen one yet. Of course there is a good chance I'll put it all together again and it will not work at all.

rockits

While you have it out it make sense to take an image. Pop in or send it to me in Potters Bar or Hitchin and I can image/dupe it to an alternative disk for you. I have a spare 5400rpm 40gb IDE disk in the office so it won't cost anything to try.

The speed won't be an issue as even a slow 4200rpm drive should be plenty fast enough to read/supply data to the Sat/May.

murph7355

Well, I hope I can remember how it goes back together!
Excellent work! Really interested to see how you get on.

I'm in North Essex and have a little set of cables that should allow you to connect up the old drive without the need for a caddy if any they're any use.

Whilst the sat nav might not need a faster drive, I would think the jukebox and other functions would benefit from one (though I guess would still be constrained by IDE data transfer rates). Especially an SSD. And they are cheap these days.

rockits

Is all the music on the HD as well then & not just the Sat Nav? Does it get copied from CD's or something then?

FerrersWay

Is all the music on the HD as well then & not just the Sat Nav? Does it get copied from CD's or something then?

Exactly that, when you put a CD in you are given the option to copy it to the jukebox, though it seems to take half an hour.

Interestingly I went out in the car this afternoon without the NIT installed and everything seemed fine, the only things where (apart form no radio/sat nav) a "System is no programmed" warning and a flashing milage indicator. Aircon/climate seemed to function fine.

murph7355

Exactly that, when you put a CD in you are given the option to copy it to the jukebox, though it seems to take half an hour.....
I think mine took longer :)

You can also copy from USB. The benefit here being that you can pass the correct album/track names over too.

Doesn't help the speed any though :)

CatmanV2

I think mine took longer :)

You can also copy from USB. The benefit here being that you can pass the correct album/track names over too.

Doesn't help the speed any though :)

MP3 CD's will copy the album names as well.

Speed still apalling

C

FerrersWay

Disk being copied as we speak, bit tricky to get it to read, but I think thats down to my dock rather than the drive. Using 'sudo dd if=/dev/disk4 conv=sync,noerror bs=64k | gzip -c > ~/Documents/maserati.img.gz', unless anyone knows of a better way?

rockits

I would be just using a simple standalone dual bay dock that will do block level copies. Simple & mainly effective. Just like me ;)

Doesn't need a PC or commands or anything fancy. Just pop in the drives & press one button then make yourself a cup of tea. Just make sure the source & destination drives are the right way round!

Only thing it can't do is dupe a larger disk to a smaller but that shouldn't be an issue in this case.

FerrersWay

True that would be simple, I don't have anything that does that though. Dd does a byte for byte copy so should be good

FerrersWay

Data is off, taken an uncompressed image (28G), a compressed one (8G) and also copied the files off the drive into folders. It seems to be structured like this:

* Partition 1: 71J1E 2.1G. Contains the application data, which seem to be a load of .out and .inf files. Also found a bootscreen.bmp file that is that Maserati logo and some .wav files for the sounds etc

* Partition 2: Untitled 1.2G. Contains two folders, USER_DATA and SPY

* Partition 3: Untitled 1 12G. Contains the music

* Partition 4: Untitled 2 14.7G. Contains the map data

FerrersWay

There are some update logs, showing software updates that have been performed etc. HDDACCESS and SSM which are empty then lastly a folder called 08700 with a load of bin files in all in the format yyyyMMddhhmm_000.bin. They start with "BCM/bcm_dateclock/src/bcm_dateclock.cpp" but the rest looks binary, 160B file size for each one, maybe some kind of error event recorder?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
An excellent thread, I follow with interest.

Likewise. Don't understand most of it but I understand where we started and if the end point is that a naffed media unit doesn't cost £4k to replace then this forum and its esteemed members has, once again, worked miracles.

CatmanV2

Data is off, taken an uncompressed image (28G), a compressed one (8G) and also copied the files off the drive into folders. It seems to be structured like this:

* Partition 1: 71J1E 2.1G. Contains the application data, which seem to be a load of .out and .inf files. Also found a bootscreen.bmp file that is that Maserati logo and some .wav files for the sounds etc

* Partition 2: Untitled 1.2G. Contains two folders, USER_DATA and SPY

* Partition 3: Untitled 1 12G. Contains the music

* Partition 4: Untitled 2 14.7G. Contains the map data

Bloody good work. Can you clone it onto a new disc and give it a try. Happy to contribute to the cost if required.

Success will be *very* rapidly be followed with a request for the disk! That will mean the only final hurdle will be if it works in another NIT. Which I think is *very* likely.
Then we can look at SSD, as well as higher capacities!

Happy days!

C

FerrersWay

Bloody good work. Can you clone it onto a new disc and give it a try. Happy to contribute to the cost if required.

Success will be *very* rapidly be followed with a request for the disk! That will mean the only final hurdle will be if it works in another NIT. Which I think is *very* likely.
Then we can look at SSD, as well as higher capacities!

Happy days!

C

Does anyone have a 30GB IDE drive lying around? Maybe from an old laptop or something? Happy to pay you for it, if that works then I'll try an SSD and different sizes etc. I don't think there is enough room for a SATA-IDE converter without cutting some plastic.

I wonder if there is a way to turn off the error message the car gives if you run without the NIT? Then an aftermarket unit could be used

drewf

Doubt I have anything quite that small in the archives - mostly 60Gb+ I would think. If you get nowhere I'll open a few old boxes to see if I can find one for you.

However, assuming it all works and you want to go SSD, I'd look to try IDE-mSATA converters, as that will most likely come in the same form factor as the original '2.5" laptop' size drive. No physical mods required then, and they are very cheap indeed.

spkennyuk

Does anyone have a 30GB IDE drive lying around? Maybe from an old laptop or something? Happy to pay you for it, if that works then I'll try an SSD and different sizes etc. I don't think there is enough room for a SATA-IDE converter without cutting some plastic.

I wonder if there is a way to turn off the error message the car gives if you run without the NIT? Then an aftermarket unit could be used

I may have a couple of 40 gig ones around somewhere they will only be 5400 spin speed but i will have a look if they are any good for you.