gs coupe vs convertible

Andy Marshall

The drive is so much better and the looks just get so much more attention than a regular 42 Spyder.

Really? I have tried both and I wouldn't say that the difference in drive (or looks for that matter) is THAT striking. But then I have the manual box, so is it just the updated change software for the CC box on the later cars that makes the most difference? (the 42 CCs I tried were certainly not as nice to drive as the GS cc) In the end I went with the later model 42 Spyder (glass rear screen, stiffer chassis etc) because I wanted a manual box plus I fell in love with the colour combo on the one I bought ( Argento Luna/Blue). I slightly prefer the 42 centre console/screen on the 42 as well.

That being said, both cars are certainly keepers now and I think should be increasing in value nicely in years to come. I've flirted with selling my on a few occasions, but short of a V12VS Convertible I cannot think of anything I would want as much or which would give me the sense of exclusivity and occasion that I get when driving the Spyder.

MrPea

Ah, so my previous was the original 2002 Spyder CC, so a huge difference in the chassis etc. The CC is way more sorted on the GS and makes it much better to drive. It's possible the chassis stuff was sorted to a similar level on your car, Andy. I've driven a manual post face-lift and loved it for heel&toe, but still feel the GS feels better. I also am half-and-half about the interior - I did love the luxury of the 4200 version compared to the sporty nature of the GS, but that seems to suit the nature of the car itself as well.

When it comes to the reaction of other people to the car, I have to see I was shocked at the difference. Both Ilaria was and Myfanwy is black, so not too different looking, but the GS stance just seems to grab attention in a very loving way. Maybe the Larini H-pipe and decats help, but that doesn't account for the attention the GS gets when parked.