Renewed Software

Caldy999

Looking back through old service invoices, my car received a 'Renewed Software Campaign 98' revision back in 2006.
Does anyone know what this entailed?

FIFTY

Guess someone else will know better but it sounds to me like a Cambio Corsa ECU software upgrade

drewf

Why guess?

It's a Gearbox ECU flash 'upgrade', which is generally viewed as a downgrade - lots of complaints about poor performance after the change, and it's not reversible.

zagatoes30

Strange how the early software originally got lots of negative feedback but now it is the preferred choice for many. Sounds very similar to some of the software improvements that our IT suppliers provide many are often everything but

drewf

Strange how the early software originally got lots of negative feedback but now it is the preferred choice for many. Sounds very similar to some of the software improvements that our IT suppliers provide many are often everything but

I think it's because early reviewers and some owners were looking for the car to be a true automatic, with silky changes. Later owners are more performance enthusiasts, and are looking for faster, harder gearchanges.

Caldy999

I certainly find that the take off from rest is very mushy - lots of slip and little go. Are there any further upgrades or was this the last?

spkennyuk

I certainly find that the take off from rest is very mushy - lots of slip and little go. Are there any further upgrades or was this the last?

If its 4200 gearbox ecu software your talking about then there are at least 4 versions.

2 x early classico software
My03 onwards.
4200 facelift and GS software are almost identical but not quite

There is a thread on here somewhere with a chart showing the software versions and if iirc Newton posted the chart.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club

Mine also being a 'classico' 02 has the same gearbox ecu.
Only two firmware versions with this ecu, the 'upgrade' did instead 'soften' the changes as you describe by those that have experienced the change of firmware. Some have even been so disappointed with the change they have sourced an original ecu that has not been flashed.
I'm fortunately still running the original firmware and from what I understand the 'upgrade' deletes the throttle downshift 'blip' when rev matching in sport mode, which with sport exhaust boxes is simply 'orgasmic' to the ear!

maverick

I was one of those who sourced the original soft ware , and I wouldn't change back if you offered me £1000 for it , night and day , my real bear bug with the upgrade was how painfully it was to engage the clutch from stand still , forget winning trafic light drag races absolute no point if it was wet to . Ok it may be slightly smother at full chat but normally ish driving no differance . And as others said the double blip on change down is just glorious ! Oh by the way if you have a back problem and would like the softly campaign upgrade tcu I have one rattling around in my boot for sale

CatmanV2

They aren't great from a standsitll, but it's all in the 'in motion'

I *loved* mine, which had the first version. Great under 'normal' circumstances. Put your foot down, and it would punch you in the kidneys.

Ask Wack 61 :)

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
As the 'classico' has the CFC201 hardware ECU, I can't see on the face of it why you can't fit the CFC231 hardware ECU and have the latest GranSport firmware applied.
If you search through the Ferrari forums they appear to swop from the CFC201 to the CFC231 hardware on the 360 by just unplugging and plugging in the later ECU. Of course will require setting up with SD2 after swapping though.
There are just more Ferrari owners out there worldwide who 'play' with their cars more to determine these things. A popular upgrade apparently is if you have an earlier 360 to upgrade to the later 360CS ecu with the applicable firmware. Cheeky blighters even buy our Maserati ecu's to use! So why not early 4200's to the last GS?
One for Voicey I guess?

Caldy999

I've read those threads but there is no reference to the specific term 'Renewed Software (campaign 98)' carried out on 15/11/2006 so I cannot compare as there is no numerical cross reference.

The first revisions came out within 1 year so I don't know why the owner would have waited until November 2006 to have the upgrade carried out.

The only answer appears to be a computer read at a Maserati dealership/Indi.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Do you have the double de-clutch engine blips in sport mode when changing down gear?
Regarding gearbox ecu's Voicey has already a nice document to read:
https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/30/ferrari-360-f1-system/
Notice the following extract from the above document:
According to respected Ferrari expert Brian Crall, the differences in TCU are a little more subtle than I noted above. The later TCUs were programmed for smoother more seamless shifting with the one introduced mid 2001 or so having the quickest, most positive shifting.
That is the same time the first 4200 Spyder and then Coupes cambiocorsa were also launched for sale...see a pattern...

But really can't see why the later GS gearbox ecu can't be fitted to the earlier 4200 that has been unfortunately 'flashed'...

CatmanV2

I've read those threads but there is no reference to the specific term 'Renewed Software (campaign 98)' carried out on 15/11/2006 so I cannot compare as there is no numerical cross reference.

The first revisions came out within 1 year so I don't know why the owner would have waited until November 2006 to have the upgrade carried out.

The only answer appears to be a computer read at a Maserati dealership/Indi.

Not all owners elected to take the upgrade. My ex 4200 is still running on I believe the original software.

C

Ebenezer

I wonder what the difference is bertween the engine software for the QP Auto between MY07 and MY08. Is that the 4.2 engine vs 4.7? Anyone every played around wioth QPengine and gearbox software?
Eb

rossyl

My 4200 felt fine at set off, I think this is because it was a later model with CFC231 hardware which was fully up to date with the last Gransport software.

I do not think I felt the issues the earlier cars had.

Also, the addition of Hill Hold I think is a must have with flappy paddle boxes. I don't believe the older or original software had this.