Handbrake Shoes

Emtee

Looking at your ones god they are unbelievable but I think mine are the same as the garage supposedly adjusted them but they still don't hold anything so I think mine are completely bare metal too.

Yes, they're pretty shabby. Three out of four were de-lined with bits of liner crud dropping out when I removed the disks. The fourth was part de-lined.

I think you're right to go with the Belfast Brakes option. Just looking at Matt's photo, they look so much better than the OEM. Oh and when you speak to Gary at BB you will be hard pushed not to be impressed by just how sunny his general disposition is! :) Seems a really nice bloke and very helpful.

Cheers, Miles.

Emtee

Just to finally close this one out, here are photo's of the hand brakes shoes as supplied by Eurospares side by side.

In each picture the shoe on the left is part number 170701. It fits 3200, 3200AC and 4200 Coupe and Spyder up to Assembly number 7717.

The shoe on the right is part number 194876. It fits 4200 Assembly number 7718 onwards, MY03, MY04 and MY05 and in each case both the coupe and Spyder. It fits the GS also.

The differences to look out for are..

Placement of handbrake control slot at the top of the shoe.
Top spring hole placement.
Centre slot / hole.
The later shoe is thinner.

IMG_1750.jpgIMG_1747.jpgIMG_1749.jpg

I now have a spare set of 194876 shoe liners that I'm happy to offer to forum members. They can be re-lined at Belfast Brakes for approximately £30.00. This is a saving of more than £200.00 on the Eurospares items and the quality from Belfast Brakes is far superior.

Please bear in mind that in order to offer these shoes I've had to shell out well over the odds on the Eurospares items, so I'd like to keep track of the shoes in circulation as I may need them again myself!

If anyone is interested or in need, please just PM me so we can sort out details.

Cheers, Miles.

NickP

I'm looking to do my brake disks and thought I'd change the shoes at the same time, does anyone have the spare set that I can send to Belfast Brakes or is it a case of sending mine off and waiting 4 days?

conaero

Forum Owner
Nick, been down this route before. There are 2 different types that are not interchangeable, best to take them off on the weekend, send to Gary on the Monday, then you will have them back on the Wednesday.

Sods law you will get the wrong ones back if you use a spare set.

conaero

Forum Owner
Nick, if its of any consulation, I did mine on my 4200 Spyder and they were the slotted (right) variety.

From memory I am pretty sure my 2001 3200 shoes were the other (left) type.

I suspect the later thinner slotted shoe was to try and remedy the sticking handbrake shoes. I believe they then went back to the later thicker 3200 shoes for the GS and late 4200, so that when nipples up then!

Or was it they had a large stock of Fiat Panda shoes left over, who knows!

NickP

Thanks Matt, do you know anywhere for cheap Ferodo pads or Green grippers? Not sure which to go for, just getting all the parts together for now.

CatmanV2

We actually got pulled over by a policeman last night He was *terribly* polite, but also carried a gun :D

C

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
A sign of the times I'm afraid and now they've got them, I very much doubt they'll ever get rid of them.

Abe66s

Hi. Gary's details for sending shoes to be relined are

GB Bonding
73 Ballycrochan Road
Bangor
BT19 6NF
TURNAROUND IS JUST A FEW DAYS. - price £35 including return postage
Tel 07545 382229