I'd give up now

Andyk

We love them because they are a Maserati.....Is the review a true reflection...Maybe.........Suppose the question is if the car had Kia badge ont he front looked like it does and had a review like this would you buy it against the better competition. There is no denying it looks special against the competition and that may be enough for some.

I will say I agree with the interior piece. I sat in one and thought it was a lovely place to be but no more special and no better put together than my Jaguar. In fact I may even say the Jaguar was a better quality inside....

To be honest it doesn't matter what the review says as if you want a Maserati then nothing else will do.

Andyk

Yes you are right Pete....No one likes their cars criticised.....and to be honest that review would not make a blind bit of difference to anyone who has bought one....

zagatoes30

The fact that the Ghibli is even being compared to the % Series and E Class shows how far Maserati has come in recent years. Historically they were only bought by a select few who had their own reasons for buying now they are being considered inline with BMW & Merc by a wider audience which is good. Measure will never tempt all of those owners over and we wouldn't want them to but just a few of the ones that can use indicators would be good for the brand as a whole.

BJL

I'm as hurt as anyone to see the badge I love being talked of in this vein but we are talking about a Maserati product not being able to cut it with all else at the price point on dynamics, road holding, performance, driver appeal etc etc. The looks are at best OK, no where in the league of the QP V and trade in prices for early ones now in the late 20s I just can't see a sweet future in which the Levante is the best selling Maserati.

Alfa Romeo launch the Guilia with the knock your socks off version and all else are just well selling look a likes.... borrowing a bit of kudos... good marketing
Jaguar give the press the 5.0 ltr turbo XR to play with then build everything else to look like it....wise move
BMW M5 already has a reputation to uphold and each upgrade is held up as the standard even the 535d has a fan base for its performance and grip....confident approach
Merc C63 is the model every Merc buyer would secretly want so they build all else to look similar after setting the bench mark....smart move

The trouble with flirting with the mass market is that if you fail to impress there is now where to hide.....Levante...??.....with the same rough old lump under the bonnet and rouched leather

Grandsport, QPV and the Granturismo could well be the epitaph......Please if there is anyone up there who cares about Maserati make sure they pull out all the stops and build something that makes cheer not sigh.

McMase

I'm not the most knowledgeable on maserati's history but I've come to know the brand well within the last year. Since I read up so much, both here and reviews, videos etc, I have a massive desire for one...that is a 4200, qpv facelift or non facelift, gransport, gran turismo and only the fragility of the 3200 puts me off it but it still holds desire to me. As an outsider having never owned any of these but determined within my next car or two one shall be a masser, the new line just holds no appeal to me whatsoever. Yes that's just my personal opinion based on a romanticism for a car that oozes passion, charisma, originality in a world of corporate knock offs left right and centre...but now I feel maserati has gone too far to appeal to the mass market. Correct me if im wrong but to me it feels like it's all gone wrong for the brand since fiat got involved. Still the failure of maserati's newer cars may well benefit the value of the older generation in the coming years.

allandwf

For me a Maserati should be an object of desire. Yes I couldn't afford one new, but I could still aspire to a used one. None of the new models have that for me. For me they seem to be back in the '80s making saloons. I realise they need to survive but at the expense of what made them desirable in the first place?

zagatoes30

I was put off Alfa for a long time, the GM based 159 and then Fiat based Mito & Giulietta just don't warm my soul but they sold well. They now have come back with the new Giulia hopefully Maserati will follow suit

Rwc13

Don't worry Nick, some of us on here really like the new Maseratis, as well as the older ones, despite what the idiot reviewers say. But then similar idiot reviewers said similar things about the 3200 and 4200, even the QP5, in their time. Reviewers rarely seem to get Maseratis.

Some of us on here own and can appreciate the attributes of the old and the new, but some can't get past the older cars they own. It has ever been so. Perhaps it's a generational thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickMilner

It's ok, I understand the sentiment. I love my Ghibli and I'm happy to do my bit to support such an outstanding marque.

Contigo

Sponsor
I don't get all the hate for the Ghibli diesel at all. Yes it's a break from the norm but it's needed in a burgeoning diesel market and one which they must sell in numbers.

allandwf

I don't hate it. It's just, for me, not a car I would I would aspire to own. I love the GT but again for me too large. It could very well be an age thing. I always wanted a Bora or a Merak, but not a Bi turbo, ( was lucky enough to own a Merak,) I see this as similar.

GeoffCapes

I tested a Ghibli diesel, a Jaguar XF-R Sport diesel and a Mercedes E350 AMG diesel within 2 weeks of each other. (There is no way I'd ever buy a BMW or Audi unless it was a classic).

I really wanted to like the Maser, but it just didn't do it for me, the Merc was far better than both the Maser and Jag.

So I bought the Merc, I used my head as it was a work car that I do 30,000 miles a year in, rather than my heart.

Wack61

I think there will come a point when the ghibli diesel will become an affordable keeper for the enthuiast , I assume the diesel is a bought in engine so should be reasonable to service and repair , there'll be plenty that have been wrapped round a tree by then so used parts will be available , good on fuel and likely to be fairly cheap at 5 years old when the market is flooded with them as they come off lease in bulk

I'd have one when they hit 10k

spkennyuk

I don't get all the hate for the Ghibli diesel at all. Yes it's a break from the norm but it's needed in a burgeoning diesel market and one which they must sell in numbers.

The Alfa diesels were frowned upon in the same way at first. That is until people realised how good an engine they were in particular the 2.4 20v version. Like most diesel cars i am sure the ghibli diesel would benefit from a remap to unleash its full. potential

MrMickS

I know that people buy diesels for reasons of economy. I just don't think economy should be something that should cross the mind when buying a Maserati. It certainly didn't enter mine.

I'm happy for them to sell though because it means that there will be lots of nice petrol powered ones for me.

Still not keen on the fake engine note though. It's a shallow thing to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyk

Don't think there is hate for it Phil....yes they probably needed this car to stay alive....suppose it's just that it's not as good as the competition. Doesn't make it a bad car though.