Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU problem

afternoon all,
    has anyone ever replaced an ecu with a second hand one ? if so was it o.k. ?
    my air bag ecu has burnt out (part no 198674) can only find used ones (at really cheap price) from cars that are being broke for spares,
    would like a new one but eurospares tell me that particular one is no longer made,
    the super car place in Sheffield have tracked a new one down somewhere in Sweden but it may be silly money as originally were £800
    advise I was given was get new but if second hand get one from a car that is same year as mine & not one from a car that the airbags have already gone off from.

thanks.
    2004 Maserati GT 4200

As far as I'm aware, the airbag ecu is interchangeable without issues.
    However, if the ecu has deployed an airbag as is usually the case with crashed cars, then you will get a warning light on the dashboard.

Same thing if it was powered on without the airbag
    Don't know if it's dealer resettable
    Jorge

both driver & passenger airbag warning lights are on but no airbags have gone off,
    the wife was taking our son to school & both lights just came on. (no collision)

got an ecu coming from soprano stu & it is just a quick change over
    2004 Maserati GT 4200

There have been some documented cases in this forum of airbag alerts originated by a faulty passenger airbag switch.
    Even if you replace the switch, the ECU still needs to be reset at the dealer.

I would advise you take the car to a dealer or an indy with the SD2/SD3 tool to read the fault and attempt a reset before replacing the ECU
    Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by jluis View Post
    There have been some documented cases in this forum of airbag alerts originated by a faulty passenger airbag switch.
    Even if you replace the switch, the ECU still needs to be reset at the dealer.

I would advise you take the car to a dealer or an indy with the SD2/SD3 tool to read the fault and attempt a reset before replacing the ECU
    thanks for the advise jlius, already had it hooked up to 3 computers at the super car centre & they assure me it is the ecu that has gone down (not one picked up a fault)
    however spoke to shiltech today & they told me about the airbag switch just like you have described,

thanks again.
    2004 Maserati GT 4200

There is no replacement for the real Maserati tool (sd2)
    unfortunately not being able to communicate with the abs ecu from a non Maserati tool doesn't necessarily mean the ecu is fried.
    It could mean that the tool is just not capable of talking to the Maserati bus
    Jorge

From memory SCC have SD machines

C
    The Catman formerly known as an Alfisti.
    '07 Maserati GT (Grigio Palladio), 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

Quote Originally Posted by CatmanV2 View Post
    From memory SCC have SD machines

C
    andy & the other guy who run SCC both use to work for Ferrari
    & most of the work they do is on lambo's masser's & Ferrari's
    so there gonna be kitted out with right gear.
    speaking to them in a couple of days so will check.
    2004 Maserati GT 4200

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield chris View Post
    both driver & passenger airbag warning lights are on but no airbags have gone off,
    the wife was taking our son to school & both lights just came on. (no collision)

got an ecu coming from soprano stu & it is just a quick change over
    Hi did the second hand ecu work ok? How much was the part please.

Thanks.

Koz

SportsMaserati.com Moderator Contigo's Avatar
    Hashluk this is the thread I was referring to.
    Phil

"Una Maserati è una roba per pochi"

Current Fleet: 4.7 GTS MC Shift with Larini Sports Cats and ASBO H-pipe , 3200GTA, Mk1 Golf GTI 1.8 , Eunos Roadster, Audi A3 TQS Track (Tracy) Toy.
    Past Masters: 3200GT, Quattroporte DS, BMW E61 M5, Audi RS4 B5 Avant, Audi RS4 B7 , Lotus Elise S1, Celica GT-4, Eunos V-spec, Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000, Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast