Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ECU problem

Yes thanks Phil - think I am going to have to get it hooked up to a diganostic tool at an indie or dealer and see what the verdict is. I have a spare airbag deactivation switch but have not tried it yet, but I am doubtful it is that (and will the light go out if I change it and it is that without hooking up to a computer?)

For anyone reading here is sequence iof events

1. All well, stopped for petrol
    2. After refuel engine did not fire at first button press.
    3. All good on second button press except amber Passenger Airbag Deactivation lamp and red Airbag/Pretensioner Fault lamps did not extinguish.
    4. Tried isolating battery for 20 minutes. Lights still permanently on.

1 and 2. above may be red herrings but thought I would mention.

Out of interest where is the airbag ECU located?

I may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the wiring looms under the seats (with battery isolated).

OK a bit more research shows that a faulty switch can indeed throw both warning lights

Spoke to Maverick as he had the same issue on his 4200 but in his case it was dirty connectors in the door shuts needed cleaning

More worrying is the tale of fried ECUs due to heater matrix leaking coolant all over them! My car has had the heater matrix replaced in the past but maybe 6 years ago so I cannot rule this out
    (footwell carpets are dry though)

One other thought I had is that the other thing I did when I stopped for fuel was adjust the steering wheel and i wonder if I did anything to upset the airbag wiring there?

Anyway a few things to try when I have time. Trouble is you don't know if you have fixed the problem without resetting the lights! If I can get the codes read first then that might help narrow down the issue.

Be careful referance codes , I had my car read by dick loveit at Swindon ( main dealer) and was told it was the airbag switch , which it turned out not to be .
    Porsche Cayman 3.4s
    Maserati 4200 cc 2002( sold)
    I feel the need for speed......

Thanks Maverick. I think I will change the switch (for your old good one, thank you) and clean the contacts you suggested and any other related connectors I can easily access and clean and hope for the best. Best put my hand up behind the dash as well and hope I don't feel anything damp in there.

If you feel or see a blue sticky ness than it’s the matrix When my matrix had gone my ecu was covered but totally fine .
    Porsche Cayman 3.4s
    Maserati 4200 cc 2002( sold)
    I feel the need for speed......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12