Newbie from Edinburgh

gentlemanjordan

Hi, about time I introduced myself as I've been registered and lurking on here for around 2 years – not sure if that's some type of record!

Picked up lots of great advice and info on the way and I'm finally in a position to enter the highs and lows of Maserati ownership. Doing the usual 3200 vs 4200 debate and very close to buying a 3200 GTA that's local to me which I've test driven and I left with a big grin on my face. Car has been well looked after by Phil at PK Supercars for the last 4 years and has had all of the common issues sorted.

However, still looking and just noticed this 4200 on Autotrader/ Pistonheads – http://bit.ly/2dDv2hN - current owner since 2011 and seems to have been well maintained by AutoShield during that time. Wondered if the car is known to anyone on the SM forum?

Looking forward to posting pics of my first Maserati soon!

Cheers,

Neil

allandwf

Welcome long time lurker. You won't go far wrong with a car known to Phil, and I assume you will nip it over to him to look after? He looks after mine also. Is it the dark blue one I've seen for sale up here?

highlander

welcome along. whichever way you go, phil will look after you. shhh on the 32 versus 42 debate, would start a fight in an empty forum that topic! ;) test a 42 to compare to your 32 test then decide which way floats your boat the most for your needs. if cared for, they are both good cars and neither will disappoint imo. you dont say what you will use it for though. as a weekend/summer toy, both will do you fine, the 32 just edges it with the twin turbos bringing ocassion to every drive. I know others have done it, but I personally would not use a 32 for a daily, more 42 owners use them all year round though.

StuartW

Welcome along & enjoy the hunt, I look forward to hearing what you end up plumping for

Needamaser

If you are still on the hunt in a few weeks time I may be selling my 4200.
On holiday just now with limited wifi access and want car to go into Phil for a service anyway so may not be soon enough if you are about To take the plunge!
Good luck with whatever you go for.

highlander

I can testify that stewart's (needamaser) 42 is a well cared for piece of kit. would be worth waiting for a looksie if a 42 is what you are after.

MAF260

Call Marios at Autoshield and ask about the car. He will give you an honest appraisal of it.

Andyk

A warm welcome Neil...The grey 4200 was advertised on here by the owner. It was his first post. Looks lovely.

gentlemanjordan

Welcome long time lurker. You won't go far wrong with a car known to Phil, and I assume you will nip it over to him to look after? He looks after mine also. Is it the dark blue one I've seen for sale up here?

Thanks @allandwf - it's not the dark blue manual one but the mid blue (blu argento?) auto that's also listed on Phil's website. Whatever car I end up with, I'll definitely be using Phil to look after it.

gentlemanjordan

@highlander - I knew better than to introduce the 32 vs 42 debate - experience of 2 years lurking :argue1: .

Tbh, as much as they have different characteristics, I love them both (I've driven a friend's 4200 spider as well as the recent 3200 test drive and Phil took me out for a spin in his 3200 manual too). For me, it'll be a weekend car, only occasionally used during the week so not a daily. I did 3k-4k miles a year in my last car.

As lovely as the Spider is, I prefer the Coupe and I need to accommodate my young kids occasionally when the family barge is being used elsewhere.

gentlemanjordan

If you are still on the hunt in a few weeks time I may be selling my 4200.
On holiday just now with limited wifi access and want car to go into Phil for a service anyway so may not be soon enough if you are about To take the plunge!
Good luck with whatever you go for.

Thanks @Needamaser, would you be able to PM me some details of your 4200 and price? I've waited long enough to get here, so if it's the right car, another few weeks doesn't matter!

flexwing

Hi Neil, I'm based in Edinburgh as well and recently bought a facelift 4200 which I use as a daily driver. If you want a chat and closer look at my car before you make the plunge, then happy to oblige.
Cheers
Gordon

GeoffCapes

I saw that 4200 the other day and thought it looks excellent value for the money it's up for.
Go for a test drive and see what you think.

gentlemanjordan

Hi Neil, I'm based in Edinburgh as well and recently bought a facelift 4200 which I use as a daily driver. If you want a chat and closer look at my car before you make the plunge, then happy to oblige.
Cheers
Gordon

Cheers Gordon, that's very kind. I'll send you a PM to arrange.

Corranga

Welcome along!

There seems to be a lot of Scotland residents on here, and we seem to be pretty active online too, which is nice to see :)

I bought my face lift manual 4200 back in August, and the only regret I have is not using it enough! Good luck with your search.

Chris

bigbob

Thanks @allandwf - it's not the dark blue manual one but the mid blue (blu argento?) auto that's also listed on Phil's website. Whatever car I end up with, I'll definitely be using Phil to look after it.

The dark blue one has been for sale for at least a year.

Vampyrebat

Welcome along!

There seems to be a lot of Scotland residents on here, and we seem to be pretty active online too, which is nice to see :)

I bought my face lift manual 4200 back in August, and the only regret I have is not using it enough! Good luck with your search.

Chris

Hi Chris

I also have a facelift 42 manual........I put a question on the forum yesterday but not yet had any replies. Do you know how to get the leather gear gator off, I have found a leather upholsterer who says he can make me up a new one but needs the old one for a template. Also, do you have problems with 2nd gear and reverse? I hear it's a common problem on the manuals

Stu

CatmanV2

Hi Chris

I also have a facelift 42 manual........I put a question on the forum yesterday but not yet had any replies. Do you know how to get the leather gear gator off, I have found a leather upholsterer who says he can make me up a new one but needs the old one for a template. Also, do you have problems with 2nd gear and reverse? I hear it's a common problem on the manuals

Stu

Bit loathe about this, as on the diagram it *looks* like it may be screwed in but all the cars I have had previously , the gator was pretty much snapped in by a spring retaining ring around the base. This *may* be the case with yours
C

Vampyrebat

Bit loathe about this, as on the diagram it *looks* like it may be screwed in but all the cars I have had previously , the gator was pretty much snapped in by a spring retaining ring around the base. This *may* be the case with yours
C

Thanks Mr C

That's what I thought but was too scared to try it!!

Stu