Larini Sports Cats or Larini Back Boxesn

Classico

So a Larini X-Pipe is currently on my 4.2 GT but looking to improve performance (power/responsiveness) and sound (more crackle and pops, loudness) but avoid any drone.

Unsure whether to go:

A) Larini Sports Cats

B) Larini backboxes

Anyone here had experience with them on a GT 4.2?

Which option would deliver more bang per buck?

MAF260

You will not get a noticeable gain in power from either of these mods. The only significant change is the noise. If you want more noise I would suggest you change the back boxes rather than the cats.

StuartW

I have both as well as the X pipe and agree with MAF, the rear boxes definitely ramp up the volume. I started with 'just' the X and the sports cats which was very nice but couldn't resist the opportunity to add the rear boxes when a set became available. The system is now VERY loud - undriveable I think was Marios' description but that's based on how he drives with his heavy right foot ;-) It's fine for me but I think I'm going deaf now anyway!
The cats gave an immediate increase in power and delivery however

CatmanV2

So a Larini X-Pipe is currently on my 4.2 GT but looking to improve performance (power/responsiveness) and sound (more crackle and pops, loudness) but avoid any drone.

Unsure whether to go:

A) Larini Sports Cats

B) Larini backboxes

Anyone here had experience with them on a GT 4.2?

Which option would deliver more bang per buck?

For Larini money you could get valved boxes and the have a choice

C

Contigo

Sponsor
There were some Larini boxes on Ebay last week for the 4.7 S at £500, came with an S 20" rim and a CD unit with faulty cd but working disk etc, I was going to bid on it but it went!

StuartW

I wonder how much he accepted for that package? There's some good stuff there & you very rarely see s/h Larini valved boxes

Contigo

Sponsor
It was ended early, usually means someone offered him something behind the scenes.

Contigo

Sponsor
I wonder how much he accepted for that package? There's some good stuff there & you very rarely see s/h Larini valved boxes

The problem I have with them is I don't like the quad pipes, I much prefer the stock twin ovals so it's not an option for me :( Besides I'm not sure what advantage they have over what in SPORT mode are effectively straight through pipes.

StuartW

The problem I have with them is I don't like the quad pipes, I much prefer the stock twin ovals so it's not an option for me :( Besides I'm not sure what advantage they have over what in SPORT mode are effectively straight through pipes.

It's true, in sport mode they are pretty much the same, perhaps a bit more screamy when on full chat, but in regular mode they sound much, much better. Mine have the chrome oval tips as options so look stock, albeit a little larger bore.

IMG_20160630_184512.jpg
IMG_20160630_184535.jpg

CatmanV2

I'm not quite seeing how they can be straight through when there is only one entrance to the box. With the standard boxes it's pretty clear that there are two entries and two exits and the valved side goes straight through. Anyone explain the Larini plumbing for me?

Cheers

C

StuartW

Oval tips look amazing Stuart.

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers, looks & sounds to die for!
There are some good videos on the Formula Dynamics/Larini website and youtube channel which give a good indication of the different sounds you can achieve with their kit

Classico

So ending up ordering the Larini Sports Cats.

System will be Larini X-Pipe + Larini Sports Cats + Stock Mufflers.

StuartW

Well done Robert. I think the sports cats make a significant difference and of my mods, I feel they are the best one.
Let us know what you think when they are fitted - exciting times!