Ghibli Cam Belt change

del mar

Morning,

I have a leaking water pump and it doesn't look too hard a job to change...

I have read the excellent thread on the QP evo change, and I can't see the V6 engine being any different.

Have ordered parts inc pump and belts from Ross - he has no water pump gaskets left so will make one from gasket paper. He also said there are no specific tools.

Anybody have any pointers / tips ?

I did think of trying to connect two 22m spanners together to stop the cams moving when the belt is undone ?

Thanks

Del

Wally

There are some Maserati-tools, but you can do without them. Just make your marks and use your wits. It is no rocket-science. Just be thorough. Check the idlers carefully. If they are to be replaced: use the updated bearings. Also check how much play the tensioner has, and keep in mind that everything was a bit under-designed. So when having doubt: replace!

conaero

Forum Owner
...and remove the rad, don't force it out of the way...you will crack the flange and it will start leaking a few weeks later.

Ewan

Slightly off topic, but I bumped in Henry last night with his silver Cup. He's had it 17 years now! And it's still lovely.

HaydnW

Do you mind me asking where you got the water pump from + price? I'm currently after one too.

del mar

They are still available.

Eurospares list them at £207
Meridian had them at £217 - I bought my bits from them

All plus Vat and delivery

Del

del mar

Will post pictures as I go.

Radiator is out - it doesn't need to come out as the V6 is obviously not as long as a V8 but after 18 years it has seen better days I will get it re-cored and tidied up.

All covers are off and everything looks easy to get at, it is a bit dirty in there but everything look as it should.

I appear to be missing a cam alignment mark on the right hand side ?

HaydnW

I think our engines should be extremely similar, so here's a picture of the right side timing marks on mine:
DSC_0013.jpg

I gather the dimpled mark on the casting is supposed to line up inside the two dashed lines on the pulley. It helps that my cams also had paint marks from a previous change - no crank pulley mark though!

alfatwo

Don't assume the cam timing is right useing old painted marks...do it correctly with the dial gauges as per spec in the factory manual!

Dave

HaydnW

Oh I haven't assumed anything - I've yet to start changing the timing equipment on my engine. I just put that picture up in an attempt to show where the marks are on the pulley and the casting. :)

del mar

Morning,

The black water pipe, the one that rusts, is also painted on the inside. As it rusts the paint on the outside bubbles as does the paint on the inside. Little bits are flaking, they are very small and very soft.

Would this likely be an issue should some come off ?

del mar

rad out.jpg
fans.jpgrad.jpg

You can see through the radiator in some places !

I have found more unpainted chassis.

The chassis rails that are covered by the engine subframe are only primed yellow, so is the full width brace that the radiator sits on. I had thought to remove this and get it painted but it is the entire front of the car !

Wow delmar! It's amazing the unpainted parts haven't started to rot! Where was your car from originally (as in was it an import) and what's the mileage? Good luck with the spannering :)

del mar

Wow delmar! It's amazing the unpainted parts haven't started to rot! Where was your car from originally (as in was it an import) and what's the mileage? Good luck with the spannering :)

UK car - perhaps as a later car it was slightly better finished ? More like luck...

del mar

great work last night.

Cams and bottom pulley lined up and marked.

Belt, bearings, tensioner and water pump off.

Nothing broke, nothing was stuck and the cams did not move.

Engine needs a good clean, oil leak, coolant and plus gas all over everything.

Apologies for the orientation.

del
pump out.jpgmarked pulley.jpgright cam.JPGleft cam.JPG

del mar

Where is the oil coming from ?

Is it from the seal on the end of the cam, or from the front plate behind the cam ?

The metal plate the cam cogs sit infront of does come off and there is a rubber gasket in there - don't really fancy removing the cogs though.
I guess with an impact gun the nut should come off but not turn the cams, but I could try to use the belt to hold them in place ?

Parts 4 and 5
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/maserati/ghibli-2-8-abs/engine/cylinder-heads-21370

Picture are side on but you can see that there is oil "inside the housing", that could have leaked down form the cam seal - oil is unlikely to leak up and around a lip !

left leak.jpgright leak.jpg

HaydnW

Good progress, and lots of elbow grease required! The waterways look nice and clean.
(My engine is even filthier...)

Difficult to tell re:the oil leak, it looks like it could just as easily have come from the cover on the side of the head or the camshaft seal as you say. If I were to guess, I'd suggest the camshaft seal given how much oily residue is inside the housing the cam pulley sits in. Not sure if you can get the respective seals individually (you probably can?) but I'm sure you can get them as part of a kit - it certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect some of the other engine seals and gaskets now that you're this far into the work, and if any other need replacing then buying the gasket kit may become a more viable option.