Have I fitted my trickle charger properly?

Needamaser

Don't know the charger but connected OK to battery and I guess it says it is charging with that light illuminated.

JonW

Thanks both - I thought it was ok, but two full nights charging and it's still not full (I'm assuming when the battery is full the light will switch to the battery that is all white)...

Needamaser

Would assume the other light comes on when fully charged.
A voltmeter on the battery will tell you what rate it is charging at if you are wondering.

That is a CTEK branded Maserati. Looks a basic version such as 3.8.
If you have the manual, it will tell you the sequence if lights and how to tell when full charge is reached which is when it switches over to trickle mode allowing discharge within a tolerance level before cutting in with a trickle charge.

allandwf

If it was very low, it will take a good couple of days on a small trickle charger, it's limited to what it can supply, it will probably be ok tomorrow. It will almost certainly be warm if trying to charge a flat(ish) battery. It looks ok though.

JonW

If it was very low, it will take a good couple of days on a small trickle charger, it's limited to what it can supply, it will probably be ok tomorrow. It will almost certainly be warm if trying to charge a flat(ish) battery. It looks ok though.

Thanks - charger is warm and the car is now starting absolutely fine, so hopefully all will be well. I suspect the battery may have been very flat, and might be nearing the end of its useful life. Have bought a replacement one just in case, which is sitting on a shelf in the garage for now...

murph7355

My Accumate can take 3 days to go to "green" on the Maser depending on how long it's been left (took a day on the Aston)

JonW

My Accumate can take 3 days to go to "green" on the Maser depending on how long it's been left (took a day on the Aston)

Out of interest, how does the Granturismo compare to the V8 Aston? I was thinking about a Vantage until I decided we really needed 4 seats?

conaero

Forum Owner
The 3 indicators, left to right are:
Error, not connected properly or polarity reversed
Charging
Charged & Trickle

Scaf

I have a ctech charger that gives me three options
1. Motorbike
2. Car
3. Recondition

Over the winter should I leave the GTS on
1. Car
2. Recondition

Thanks

rs48635

This does indeed look like the CTEK unit, minus a few LEDs. Likely the tiny unit XS 0.8.
I have one of these used to trickle charge the car when not in use. Also bought the bigger unit XS 5.0 to revive the battery in the 3200 which seemed properly FUBAR. This unit does motorbikes too so useful on my Vespa (now gone). Not too expensive, especially compared to a a new Bosch ;)

midlifecrisis

This does indeed look like the CTEK unit, minus a few LEDs. Likely the tiny unit XS 0.8.
I have one of these used to trickle charge the car when not in use. Also bought the bigger unit XS 5.0 to revive the battery in the 3200 which seemed properly FUBAR. This unit does motorbikes too so useful on my Vespa (now gone). Not too expensive, especially compared to a a new Bosch ;)
The Maserati branded charger IS the XS0.8 CTEK unit but at the price of the far superior 5 amp CTEK item (XS5.0). The XS0.8 charges at 0.8 of an amp whereas the other at 5 amp so obviously takes longer to charge a flat battery. The 5 amp item will assess the condition of the battery and can recover a dead one with it desulpating programme.

RobinL

Its a lovely CTEK Charger - but is only a charger. I'd be inclined to put it back in its bag and keep it with the car as unused. The photos above plus the continual charging 'may' suggest that the battery is below optimal condition and the charger isn't reaching full charge.
The CTEK Multi MXS 10 10A 12V 8-Stage Battery Charger at around GBP 100 is the daddy - and is a proper conditioner / trickle charger / boost charger. (£100 from Amazon) It is my preferred weapon of choice and as with all electrically sensitive vehicles - I plug it in every time at home.