Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ghibli suspension overhaul

Hi Chad, Dont understand NLA but the bushes for our Ghiblis is not availiable anymore, only the new metal bushes for QP4.
    Q to you, did you have coilovers on yor Ghibli ?
    BR
    G

NLA = No Longer Available
    So do the metal bushes fit the older arms? Just wondering how useful this set of bushes I have is.
    Yes, we have coilovers fitted to the Ghibli
    Rich
    Maserati Ghibli "Taylor/Hawksworth Trofeo edition"

Thanks for the info. Fortunately I was able to find 4 pieces of the original bushes.

They are not interchangeable, Ghibli / early QP4 bushes (317020100) and late QP4 bushes (377030100, Ferrari 134883) only fit their respective arms.

s-l1600.jpg

A bit late, but as promised here comes a short description about assembling the rear hub.

Stub axles were aqua blasted, as it's a mild process some of the surface marks weren't removed, but it was enough for zinc plating. I wanted to mask shaft, but common tapes are not resistant and the place isn't doing any masking so the whole axle was plated. Surprisingly that 10 Ám was enough to make the parts not fit together, so used some hydrochloric acid to remove plating from the shaft. It only needed like 5 minutes, but the fumes did mark it here and there. Still came out much nicer then how it looked in the beginning. Next time for machined precision parts like this I might use hot browning / bluing as that doesn't add any appreciable thickness (but less corrosion resistant).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

00.jpg

To prepare the hub carrier I've run a 15mm reamer through the bores to clean them up, and also run taps through the bolt holes to remove any remaining blasting media. Lightly cleaned the bearing housing with 320 wet sandpaper and WD40. The bearing (Maserati 397250343) is an SKF BAH-0004 A and for the lock ring nut (Maserati 397250373) used a Ferrari 105137 from Hill Engineering.

06.jpg

To press the bearing (7) into the housing (4) used the outer race of one of the old bearing and ground down so it can slide freely inside. On top of it came the other old bearing.

07.jpg

08.jpg

Installing seeger ring (8)

09.jpg

Packed the front with wheel bearing grease (SKF LGWA 2)

10.jpg

Then put the front dust shield / spacer (2) and the brake plate (3) it's place. I've made a mistake not torquing down the plate, later it's not possible to fit in a wrench because of the hub. The screws are meant to be fixed with Loctite 242 / 243 and torqued to M6 - 12 Nm, M8 - 25 Nm.

11.jpg

To press the axle (1) into the bearing (7) now used the inner race of the old bearing and on top the other one.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Packed the inside with grease and slid on the shim washer (9),

15.jpg

the connecting sleeve (12), which is said to be asymmetrical so I've turned it until it was the easiest to slide down (also used some anti-seize on the splines),

16.jpg

and finally the washer (13).

17.jpg

The ring nut I got is exactly the same as the Maserati part, it's higher by 3mm, but that's not an issue.

18.jpg

19.jpg

It has to be torqued to 300 Nm, then riveted and I've finished up with torque sealer.

20.jpg

Precision.... I admire the thorough approach! My compliments...

Torque? Just tighten it until it creaks, that usually works.
    Present: 3 series soot chucker, 3 series soot chucking estate, Vauxhall Chevette, an old JH ragtop.

Previous: Morris Minor, Vauxhall FE, Vauxhall Viva estate, Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Sierra estate, Rover Montego DL estate, Citroen Xantia diesel, VW Golf diesel estate X 2, BMW 320D estate, 10 speed Eddie Mercx bike, Atco MP066 Mower, stout shoes.

I had an other measure: let girlfriend stand on the vice table and push wrench until table nearly tips over, that's 300

Finally I've sourced another right arm. And it has the same problem as the previous

So this is 3rd right arm (including my original one) which has the same problem, i.e. the lower bore closer to the ARB mount is not in line. The hub doesn't even fit inside, only if hammered in. With excessive force I can bend things so that the second bolt can be hammered in but the strain is so big that the hub stays in a fixed orientation, fixing the camber angle too which I don't really want.

The left arm is all ok, so I'm starting to believe there is a manufacturing flaw? But in a few thousand cars?! I was also thinking maybe hubs and arms are matched but since the hub is a cast part I don't think it's possible. And the hub did nicely fit the redesigned QP4 Evo arm.

I really don't know what to do know. Any ideas?

IMG_2640 copy.jpg

IMG_2646 copy.jpg

IMG_2647 copy.jpg

Have you spoken to somebody like Marios at Autoshield who knows these cars inside out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: Quattroporte V S Bordeaux Pontevecchio/Avorio; Gransport Grigio Alfieri/Avorio; Ghibli GT Blu Nettuno/Rosso Pelle; Gransport Spyder Anniversary Blu/Blu; Levante D Rosso Rubino/Cuoio
    Past:Gransport LE Grigio Touring/Nero; Granturismo MC Stradale Grigio Granito/Nero; Gransport LE Nero/Avorio; Zagato Spyder Nero/Grigio; Ferrari F430 Spyder Nero/Beige; Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 Q4 JTS Alfa Red/Nero; Quattroporte Sport GTS Nero/Nero; Ghibli S Grigio Maratea/Rosso; 3200GT Nero/Grigio; Gransport Spyder Blu Nettuno/Nero; Ghibli D Nero/Cuoio; Gransport LE Blu Mediterraneo/Grigio; GTS MC Shift Nero Carbonio/Nero with extras; GTS MC Shift Nero Carbonio/Nero; GTS Auto Blue Oceano/Avorio; Quattroporte GT Sport Duo Select Blue Oceano/Avorio: Gransport LE Grigio Touring/Nero

No, do you think they are willing to help a stranger? But you are right, I should try at least.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast