Ghibli suspension overhaul

Rwc13

I think you will find Marios very helpful. Give him a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

del mar

There has to be an obvious solution here.

Would the hub from the other side fit ?

If you have 3 arms that appear bent it must be a hub issue.

Why didn't the original arm fit the hub ?

spacecadet

I do hope there is a solution.

The hub is a new used one as well. The bores both on my original arm and hub was damaged after removing the stuck bolts. I actually bought 2 used RH hubs, the bolts are properly aligned in both of them and they did nicely fit the QP4 Evo stye arm. The bolts clearly don't line up in the arm, that's why I think it's the arm.

spacecadet

Yes it's finally solved. All the RH arms were bad as I mentioned, the RH hub nicely fit into the LH arm, and also the holes on the RH visibly didn't line up. With a vice and some heat first experimented on my original arm to bring back the holes into alignment. Succeeded, so did the same for the new arm, which was in a better condition. After test fitting everything, parts went back again for blasting and painting. There was a bonding problem between the primer and the topcoat used previously, this time I've asked the painter to use a tried and tested paint system, also in correct satin finish as opposed to the glossy one.

In the last two weeks I've finally assembled everything, was quite a job lying on my back on the floor, but now that I'm ready I quite like the end result (that's only dried water after washing on the exhausts :)).

IMG_2745 copy 2.jpg

Rear end is running fine only have to do a wheel alignment, but that will come only in Sept since I'm heading for a longer holiday (between two jobs). And I really have find and replace the clutch set, that throw out bearing sounds like dying.

For me the biggest learning was how to handle these bolts attaching the arm and hub. Never try to turn these at disassembly as the arms are quite weak and if they go out of alignment the bolt will get stuck and turning them in this state could end up in a situation I experienced in the beginning. So these should be always hammered out. When assembling make sure the bolts are clean, remove corrosion with fine wet sandpaper and also make sure the holes are clean, remove corrosion by running a reamer through them. Then use anti-seize paste when putting them together.

Here is a part and price summary if anyone wants to do something similar. The two biggest expenses are the used parts that were damaged on mine, and it also include brake parts because I did a full rebuild of the rear calipers too (with ATE parts). Diff rebuild is not included, I'm still waiting for the bill, and of course all the tools I had to buy during are also not included, but I mostly have everything now for future works too (like a shop press and even got a dial gauge to measure hub and brake disk runout).

Code:
450	used LH arm
450	used LH hub	
 90	wheel bearing 2x, SKF BAH 0004; Maserati 397250343
 45	hub lock nuts 2x, Hill Engineering 105137; Maserati 397250354, NLA
 15	subframe rubber mounts 2x; Maserati 342700122
125	arm rubber mounts 4x; Maserati 317020100, hard to get
 86	stabilizer rubber mounts 4x; Maserati 367002366, NLA
110	CV boots 4x, GKN MS6MN001
 40	rear wheels shims, custom made; Maserati 397050370, 397050357, NLA
 30	various nuts and bolts (mostly locking nuts)
 90	rear brake caliper parts (piston, seals, guide pins, retainer spring)
175	brake lines set (front and rear), Goodridge; Maserati 367402155, 367402129

100	Jotun paint
130	media blasting, painting
130	media blasting, painting with new paint (Mipa)
 15	aqua blasting hubs, rear calipers
 50	zinc plating, nuts and bolts, hubs, brake calipers

10	CV grease, Tutela MRM2
 10	brake fluid, ATE SL
145	rear wheel hub tool, custom made

Thanks for all the help and suggestions in the thread.

Wally

I see this report only now... (sorry, my fault..) Glad that it is "on the road again". Enjoy this beautiful car!