Central Locking Fault

alexholmes

Last thursday I went to use the gransport about an hour after parking from the daily commute. The doors unlocked with the keyfob but then immediately locked again. I tried the battery reset procedure but no joy. For anyone who experiences the same symptoms I found that the alarm system was working fine but that the central locking would just keep unlocking then locking the door. I took the car to a trusted auto electrician today and he listened to the locks while blipping the key. There was no sound coming from the passenger door. On removal of the door card and further inspection the fault has been diagnosed as the passenger locking mechanism. Surprisingly reasonable at 37.00 but a weeks wait for it to come from italy...The auto electrician has unplugged the passenger lock power connecter and the drivers side door is now functioning correctly with the blipper. I can cope with a week of manually locking and unlocking the passenger door.

lozcb

Last thursday I went to use the gransport about an hour after parking from the daily commute. The doors unlocked with the keyfob but then immediately locked again. I tried the battery reset procedure but no joy. For anyone who experiences the same symptoms I found that the alarm system was working fine but that the central locking would just keep unlocking then locking the door. I took the car to a trusted auto electrician today and he listened to the locks while blipping the key. There was no sound coming from the passenger door. On removal of the door card and further inspection the fault has been diagnosed as the passenger locking mechanism. Surprisingly reasonable at 37.00 but a weeks wait for it to come from italy...The auto electrician has unplugged the passenger lock power connecter and the drivers side door is now functioning correctly with the blipper. I can cope with a week of manually locking and unlocking the passenger door.

Far be it for me to teach your auto sparks to suck eggs Alex , has he checked the fuses and relays to it , there under the passenger footwell carpet

regards loz

JAGPURR

Carefull Loz you will have some auto spark gunning for you.
It wouls seem that any blown fuse would affect the locking on both doors ie. all locked and won't open or all open and won't lock. What Alex's fault would indicate is the passengers door lock motor is u/s or a micro switch on the latch is u/s. And actually it could also be a micro switch on the drivers door at fault. Either way the control module can see one door is locked and the other not so has an Italian dicky fit! And disconnecting the passenger door has stopped it getting too confused.
Keith

Last edited:

lozcb

Carefull Loz you will have some auto spark gunning for you.
It wouls seem that any blown fuse would affect the locking on both doors ie. all locked and won't open or all open and won't lock. What Alex's fault would indicate is the passengers door lock motor is u/s or a micro switch on the latch is u/s. And actually it could also be a micro switch on the drivers door at fault. Either way the control module can see one door is locked and the other not so has an Italian dicky fit! And disconnecting the passenger door has stopped it getting too confused.
Keith

Not 100% sure , but i can recall talking to Myles re the doors mechs and the seat mechs and im sure he said that they are fused and relayed individually , i may be wrong , when i get a chance i'll do a check

regards loz

alexholmes

Hi guys. There is voltage going to the lock so not a fuse or relay. It may be a microswitch inside the locking mechanism but at 37.00 it's better to simply replace rather than attempt a repair that may let me down in the future. Searching the forums it doesn't seem to be a very common fault but it's reassuring that the fix is neither difficult or expensive.

alexholmes

Talking of the seat thats for another day but my passenger seat refuses to slide forward to allow passengers into the rear seats. Have tried the seat reset procedure as have autoshield but no joy. The fuse is fine and the seat allows all adjustements so its not the motors. I was going to get the autospark to check the microswitch which seems to be at the bottom right of the seat but requires the seat to be removed for access. Has anoyone any experience of this?

conaero

Forum Owner
Alex, this used to happen on my GTV all the time, both of them infact, but only after a frost.

The locks seize up and do exactly as you describe.

The remedy is to spray into the lock and the key with WD40 and repeatedly open and shut the locking system with the key, remembering to do both door locks. Worked everytime and the lock systems are the same in both cars, as are the electric windows.

alexholmes

Thanks Matt,

The replacement lock is now paid for but will try the wd40 method if the drivers side lock starts playing up.

jpmondalek

To add to my flashing gears problem (remedied after a battery reset)...this problem just appeared today as well....BOO!!!

* Update: looks like my driver's side interior lock switch is broken (it pushes in); however can be locked manually from outside. Perhaps this is preventing the car from locking both doors?

Last edited:

lozcb

To add to my flashing gears problem (remedied after a battery reset)...this problem just appeared today as well....BOO!!!

* Update: looks like my driver's side interior lock switch is broken (it pushes in); however can be locked manually from outside. Perhaps this is preventing the car from locking both doors?

Try another reset JP , this time leave it off for atleast 20 mins or longer , turn it back on and leave for 5 mins without touching anything, dont even open the door , Car should be locked , unlock with the key blip , turn on ignition to mar wait a full 2 mins , start car and leave running for 10 mins on idle , hopefully everything will be back to normal , go out and drive it like you stole it , its on its re-learning curve now for the next 100 miles

regardsloz

stylo

Loz - are the timings anecdotal or taken from a spec of how the process is designed to work?
cheers
Adam

lozcb

Loz - are the timings anecdotal or taken from a spec of how the process is designed to work?
cheers
Adam

The 20 mins minimum reset is part of the official sequence( gives plenty of time for the systems to de-energise ) as is the 10 mins on idle after the reset , the 5 mins waiting in the middle is just to make sure all the systems have done there stuff and settled , all too often part of systems havent completed there individual reset and you could very easily try and start it without the system havng settled which sort of defeats the object, as is trying to open the car before you hear it lock after you have turned the power back on, this confuses the cental locking so it has to be done again

regards loz

stylo

Great thanks for that. My seats and mirrors have joined the tube drivers so I'll take away their power ;-)

hunta

Doesn't sound related, but I had a door problem which first emerged as a reluctance to lock... I'd get out of the car, close the door, blip the fob and the whole car would lock and unlock again. Opening and closing the door would eventually remedy it. Then it started getting worse... first the doors wouldn't close fully so the windows would retreat half an inch, then ultimately a reluctance for the door to catch at all. Ultimately it had to be towed as I couldn't close the door enough to drive it.

Turned out the cable mechanism of the outer latch was catching inside the door. Interior panels off and some grease and good to go again.

jamesc69

This an intermittant and annoying fault on my GS. Embarrassing too when the car decides to lock passengers in !
The central locking locks and unlocks the drivers door continually because the passenger side lock keeps jamming locked. I think water must be getting into the mech as I jet washed the car yesterday an couple of hours before the problem surface again.
Mario at Autoshield is sure the passenger door lock needs replacing. £37 for mech and 1/2 to fit so i will pop in for a coffee Friday.
I will let you know if this sorts the problem.

James

Woody

My GS threw a wobbly a while back with the locking. It seemed normal, but then the hazzards were flashing occasionally as I was driving along. Turned out it was the passenger door wasnt fully closed (bless my little niece). I'm sure these responses are well intentioned as a safety measure, but when they dont work as intended, its a nuisance.

jamesc69

I'm sure Marios and Russel will sort it. What they do not know about the marque is not worth knowing.
I love the way you can just turn up and get minor niggles sorted whilst you wait. So much more accommodating than a main dealer.

Looks like its going to be an expensive couple of months. Possible new clutch and full service before Monte Carlo.

J

Parisien

Well James, ultimately it does pay off, peace of mind, everything in tip top order.......enjoy driving it more......plus the newer version of the clutch seems to be lasting longer....

P