3200 TB & Pedal Pot

tappets

Hi Phil,
I guess you're the man to talk to about my forum membership. I was a "Super member" on the other maseratiforum (which I know have worked out has been decommissioned in lieu of this one) for quite a few yrs under maser01 username.

I attempted to rejoin after an email change for quite some time........now I see why it was to no avail! Any chance of reinstating my membership status given this? Having said this I don't mind being called Junior again :excellent:

davy83

Not sure about the TB but the pedal pot has two outputs, both should be the same, and be between 0.3v with the pedal at rest, and around 3 v at full throttle. They must be exactly the same. PM me i will send you the pages from the workshop manual on the pedal sensor. you should be able to work out what pins are what, as there are 6 wires on the standard pedal sensor, 2 are 0v, 2 are 5V and two of them are the pedal sensor outputs.

Ok........here's one for the electronics buff's. I disassembled the TB, cleaned magnet debri jamming it up, reassembled TB carefully soldering all connection points exactly as they were checking continuity between all connections and plug pins with no open circuits.

Fitted back onto car...........now no movement of the TB butterfly when pedal depressed and CEL on dash! TB not humming as if not getting power. Codes U1600, P220, P221 on OBD2 tester. Anyone have any ideas regarding what wires to test for resistance/voltage? What's the best way to test pedal pot that's had the wire mod done.......I understand certain colour wires from PP should have a millivolt reading at rest and full open pedal? Which colour wires and what reading please?

Thanks heaps for any assistance.

Contigo

Sponsor
Hi Phil,
I guess you're the man to talk to about my forum membership. I was a "Super member" on the other maseratiforum (which I know have worked out has been decommissioned in lieu of this one) for quite a few yrs under maser01 username.

I attempted to rejoin after an email change for quite some time........now I see why it was to no avail! Any chance of reinstating my membership status given this? Having said this I don't mind being called Junior again :excellent:

Send a PM to Conaero mate.

tappets

Cheers Davy will have a look..........I have the w/shop manual. Would you happen to have a picture of the wire colour positions in the PP connector as I've done the wire mod soldering them together for better connectivity under the advice of Boomerang. This will help locate the correct wires to test for voltage as per manual.

Many thanks.

Contigo

Sponsor
Cheers Davy will have a look..........I have the w/shop manual. Would you happen to have a picture of the wire colour positions in the PP connector as I've done the wire mod soldering them together for better connectivity under the advice of Boomerang. This will help locate the correct wires to test for voltage as per manual.

Many thanks.

It is the wires you have connected ie white and yellow. Get a DMM and put the black probe on the grey wire then put the red probe onto the white wire/pin. It should measure between 0.35V (350mv) and 0.6 (600mv) at idle (ie no throttle, you do not need the engine running to measure it just ignition to MAR), repeat the measurement for the other yellow circuit. As you have wired them both together you will get an average of the two anyway. Then measure with the throttle fully to the floor and you should have over 3V (3100-3300mv), my guess is yours is down to about 2.5V at full throttle (WOT). If this is the case the arm on top of the pedal potentiometer will need adjusting after you have tried the reset procedure (ask if you don't know)

3200PedalPot1.jpg

Here are the voltages you should see.
ThrottleReset.jpg

tappets

Yes Davy thanks, can you tell me a little about the improvements internally over the std Bosch unit please........looks like I'll be needing one!

davy83

The problems with the standard one are dirt and wear on the potentiometers which are mechanical so they do wear out especially around the idle position. some movement in the shaft position caused by again wear and movement of the plastic body, and differences between the two outputs which have to be ludicrously close together or you get an error.
So what i did was get a rotary contactless sensor made with two outputs just like the OEM unit, but electronic, not passive. I got the sensor outputs matched to the limits required by Maserati, some still fail my incoming tests, but i do test them all so these never get on a car. And lastly i made the shaft and rotary assembly from Alumimium to give it better rigidity, and finally used precision sealed rotary bearings so it should never wear, or bend and the outputs once set up should never change.
I did not set out to make it better than original when operating, but i did set out to make it much more reliable and also my intention when i did this initially for my own car (its still fitted, and works great, 5 years later) so i would not have to worry about this problem again as long as i owned the car. I have had my 3200GTA for over 10 years now and i went through two pedal sensors in the first 5 years, so i got a bit fed up with that :)
some of the folks who have my sensor say it helps with the idle and its smoother when driving in traffic where more precise control is needed, but i didnt set out to do this, but its possibly true

Yes Davy thanks, can you tell me a little about the improvements internally over the std Bosch unit please........looks like I'll be needing one!

Hong Kong 3200GTA

Thanks for all the info chaps, going to book it in to the garage when I get back to the UK to see if they can get it sorted. 0-60 in 9 seconds is just wrong.

davy83

Yes 9 seconds is not right, so something wrong there. i presume you have tried the pedal sensor calibration? its easy and can make a lot of difference if its not right.
put the car in neutral switch on ignition but don't start the car, leave without touching anything for 2 minutes. switch off. then to this again in Neutral and press the pedal to the floor for 10 seconds, and then switch off again. Start up and off you go! its worth a try if you have not done it. It may also be worth noting that if for some reason the ECU was not going into calibration mode (Can't sense neutral on the gear lever?) and this pedal sensor calibration never worked this might reduce your full throttle, and give you the problem you have? I have noticed on more than one car that the ECU did not accept the calibration and it had to re-done. Just a thought.

Contigo

Sponsor
A member had the same issue a year or so ago and had to adjust the rotary arm on top of the pedal pot.

tappets

Yes well thanks for taking the time to get back to me Davy. I'm a little frustrated at the moment as I played with the PP after major pedal sensor errors making car undrivable. Due to having fitted a "Contactless" throttle body some years ago I assumed it would be the stock PP that failed. I was wrong as the TB magnet fragments jammed up the butterfly spindle, I repaired that and now still have no pedal response and CEL's after cleaning PP tracks etc. First test I had good idle voltage and nil full pedal......now I have low idle voltage and normal full pedal??????? Go figure! I'm in contact with Andrea here in Oz trying to get a price for 1 of your PP's, I'll just bite the bullet and fit 1 to my car as I'm just over this unreliable fickle rubbish with the Bosch unit although in it's defence I've had a good run from it cars travelled approx. 70k miles. :rofl5:

One other point.......should the TB butterfly move as pedal depressed without engine running with ign in MAR position? I would have thought so?

Tompelli

While you are in there, check all the turbo hoses & clips, from the air filter boxes back to the throttle body - the big Y at the front. A 3200 without turbos is a slug.

Massa in Perth

Ain't that the truth! One of my feeder hoses to the TB popped off after I did an oil change and didn't do the jubilee clip up tight enough after fitting a new oil filter. Nothin' going on at all...

TimA-Yorks

I want to thank Davy publicly for his help and supply of his contactless throttle pedal potentiometer kit. Fitting it has transformed my 3200 which now has sensibly progressive throttle control. Mike at the Maserati Shed fitted a 'new' original pedal pot a few hundred miles ago. The throttle control wasn't 'right before' it went to Mike and unfortunately still wasn't afterwards. Exasperated with owning a car I couldn't use, I got in touch with the ever helpful Davy and plumped to fit his upgrade kit to rule out the 'new' TPP as being the potential culprit for the 'snappy' throttle and repeated dropping into 'safe' mode.

Sorted, finally! Many thanks Davy, you are a star!

highlander

I want to thank Davy publicly for his help and supply of his contactless throttle pedal potentiometer kit. Fitting it has transformed my 3200 which now has sensibly progressive throttle control. Mike at the Maserati Shed fitted a 'new' original pedal pot a few hundred miles ago. The throttle control wasn't 'right before' it went to Mike and unfortunately still wasn't afterwards. Exasperated with owning a car I couldn't use, I got in touch with the ever helpful Davy and plumped to fit his upgrade kit to rule out the 'new' TPP as being the potential culprit for the 'snappy' throttle and repeated dropping into 'safe' mode.

Sorted, finally! Many thanks Davy, you are a star!
Like button pressed.