Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: 3200 TB & Pedal Pot

  1. #61
    Senior Member davy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reef Island, Bahrain
    Posts
    1507
    You have to insert your head and shoulders into the foot well to get the measurements. its not handy if you have a bad back! I have sent you a separate mail, but i reckon your problem may well be TB related and not the pedal sensor, not certain just my feeling.



    Quote Originally Posted by Frog3200 View Post
    Hi all,
    I just fitted the contactless pedal pot today and reset the min and max values (maserati procedure). 1st time, ignition fine, idle fine but no response on the pedal. 2nd time, idle at 3000 rpm and a pedal response but can't stop the reving.... 3rd time idle at 2500 and reving.. Please don't tell me I have to take the pedal pot off.. It is very well manufactured, piece of art, but pain in the a.. to fit ! Although this has nothing to do with Davy but more with the car's architecture..
    Thanks for your ideas, I will dive back in next saturday... 1st thing will be to check the calibration of the pot ? It means I have to move the plug as when fitted it's impossible to see the colors right ?
    Current - 3200 GTA, Yeti, V8 Land cruiser,
    Previous cars - TVR Chimeara 4.5HO, TVR S2, 5.0l Mustang, Jag XJ, racing Hillman Imp.

  2. #62
    Senior Member davy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reef Island, Bahrain
    Posts
    1507
    Good to hear from you David, i would also echo that most of the 3200 issues are TB related and of those i think most of them are mechanical, and not sensor related. i think a lot of people try replacing the pedal sensor because its cheaper and easier than dealing with the TB issue. i know I did when my TB starting acting up.

    Quote Originally Posted by tipo View Post
    Wow! the amount of time that Throttle bodies have been the subject of conversation, and that I am sure throw guys in the wrong direction sometimes. The biggest plug is the contactless potentiometer, this fault is in my experience only 3% of the problems. I have refurbished so far 464 throttle bodies and yes the first 40 told me what the problems are. I fit contactless to all of mine because I am asked to, but it is not that much of an upgrade as at 3% failure is not bad. I rarely find time to converse on the forum but would like to just pass these comments. I am David Askew. The other thing is if you all fit turbo gauges, I am not plugging mine, mine are expensive anyway, but this added information may help in determining other faults when trying to assess problems.
    Current - 3200 GTA, Yeti, V8 Land cruiser,
    Previous cars - TVR Chimeara 4.5HO, TVR S2, 5.0l Mustang, Jag XJ, racing Hillman Imp.

  3. #63
    Member Frog3200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Paris Area
    Posts
    30
    Thanks Davy and thanks for your mail. I agree the reeving is more a TB symptom, or air leak. But the car has always been fine on that side, even the day before. Very small symptoms sometimes of moving idle, but never reeving. This why I was asking. It could be the odds though that all come at once and I was planning to send my TB to the UK someday.. It might be earlier than later... I will do some tests next satuday and check the TB and the buterfly movement. I read that if I unplug the pedal pot the engine should run at idle. If it does, the TB is out of concerns isn't it ?

  4. #64
    Senior Member allandwf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Forfar
    Posts
    5483
    Quote Originally Posted by davy83 View Post
    You have to insert your head and shoulders into the foot well to get the measurements. its not handy if you have a bad back! I have sent you a separate mail, but i reckon your problem may well be TB related and not the pedal sensor, not certain just my feeling.
    I can still picture you upside down in mine!
    60/75

  5. #65
    Senior Member alfatwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire ..
    Posts
    2722
    Went over to see my old mate David Askew today, He's still rockin by the way!

    Regarding TB's, apparently he's done over 400 3200 items to date plus lots of Lamborghini, Ferrari and Volvo stuff too

    Dave

  6. #66
    Senior Member davy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reef Island, Bahrain
    Posts
    1507
    I do not think unplugging the pedal sensor will work sir. i have not tried this and not heard of anyone else trying it. the reason i think the sensor has two redundant outputs is because of the risk of the signal pins becoming disconnected floating high and causing high revs, so i don't think unplugging it is a good test, my gut feeling is you will get an ECU error and it wont start. i still think best plan is get the pedal sensor set up right and then move on to other possible problems. Can you get a loan of a good TB from some one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog3200 View Post
    Thanks Davy and thanks for your mail. I agree the reeving is more a TB symptom, or air leak. But the car has always been fine on that side, even the day before. Very small symptoms sometimes of moving idle, but never reeving. This why I was asking. It could be the odds though that all come at once and I was planning to send my TB to the UK someday.. It might be earlier than later... I will do some tests next satuday and check the TB and the buterfly movement. I read that if I unplug the pedal pot the engine should run at idle. If it does, the TB is out of concerns isn't it ?
    Current - 3200 GTA, Yeti, V8 Land cruiser,
    Previous cars - TVR Chimeara 4.5HO, TVR S2, 5.0l Mustang, Jag XJ, racing Hillman Imp.

  7. #67
    SportsMaserati.com Moderator Contigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    14253
    Quote Originally Posted by davy83 View Post
    I do not think unplugging the pedal sensor will work sir. i have not tried this and not heard of anyone else trying it. the reason i think the sensor has two redundant outputs is because of the risk of the signal pins becoming disconnected floating high and causing high revs, so i don't think unplugging it is a good test, my gut feeling is you will get an ECU error and it wont start. i still think best plan is get the pedal sensor set up right and then move on to other possible problems. Can you get a loan of a good TB from some one?
    It does start, as I said there is an ECU map which runs at 1000 rpm exactly.
    Phil

    "Una Maserati č una roba per pochi"

    Current Fleet: 4.7 GTS MC Shift with Larini Sports Cats and ASBO H-pipe , 3200GTA, Mk1 Golf GTI 1.8 , Eunos Roadster, Audi A3 TQS Track (Tracy) Toy.
    Past Masters: 3200GT, Quattroporte DS, BMW E61 M5, Audi RS4 B5 Avant, Audi RS4 B7 , Lotus Elise S1, Celica GT-4, Eunos V-spec, Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000, Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6.

  8. #68
    Senior Member StuartW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Lincolnshire
    Posts
    7552
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatwo View Post
    Went over to see my old mate David Askew today, He's still rockin by the way!

    Regarding TB's, apparently he's done over 400 3200 items to date plus lots of Lamborghini, Ferrari and Volvo stuff too

    Dave
    See post 58 Dave, Mr Askew posted on this thread last week
    Stuart
    GranTurismo MC Stradale - formerly the Maserati GB press car

    Selected previous Italian past masters:-

    GranTurismo S MC-Shift; 3200GT Assetto Corsa # 33/75; Lancia Beta Spyder; Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione

  9. #69
    Senior Member davy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Reef Island, Bahrain
    Posts
    1507
    Well that's good to know and makes that a great test then!!! thanks for sharing, i must try this as soon as i get back to my car :-). I know the 1000 rpm is coded into the ECU but didn't realise the ECU could ignore the pedal sensor not being there!



    Quote Originally Posted by Contigo View Post
    It does start, as I said there is an ECU map which runs at 1000 rpm exactly.
    Current - 3200 GTA, Yeti, V8 Land cruiser,
    Previous cars - TVR Chimeara 4.5HO, TVR S2, 5.0l Mustang, Jag XJ, racing Hillman Imp.

  10. #70
    SportsMaserati.com Moderator Contigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Newbury
    Posts
    14253
    Of course it throws. Check engine light and the accelerator is useless
    Phil

    "Una Maserati č una roba per pochi"

    Current Fleet: 4.7 GTS MC Shift with Larini Sports Cats and ASBO H-pipe , 3200GTA, Mk1 Golf GTI 1.8 , Eunos Roadster, Audi A3 TQS Track (Tracy) Toy.
    Past Masters: 3200GT, Quattroporte DS, BMW E61 M5, Audi RS4 B5 Avant, Audi RS4 B7 , Lotus Elise S1, Celica GT-4, Eunos V-spec, Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000, Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •