Trickle Chargers

w5pwr

With a combination of a lot of work travel and really salty roads, I have not been using the Stradale much recently and I am away again this week.

Can you trickle charge the Maserati using the cigarette lighter socket with the doors closed?

Only if the cig socket is permanently live. If it operates without key in ignition, it is permanently live.
If you can close the door with the mains feed to the trickle charger then you're good to go.

midlifecrisis

I wouldn't use any cigar lighter or similar to charge the battery. I'd rather go straight onto the battery simply because of amount of current involved and it's inherent risks of going through wiring not rated for such loads.
Going onto the battery, cuts out all of the cars electronics any can be just as easy with convenient connectors sold by CTEK etc.

I also don't recommend it but CTEK provide a cig lighter hook up so it must be safe.
I have the Porsche and the GS connected directly across the battery.

w5pwr

Tried earlier and socket is not live after the car has been parked for sometime, so would appear it cannot be used....

I have used CTEK via cigarette socket for 15+ years on my Porsche's without any problems.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
The 12V socket in the boot of my GT is permanently live and I use it to tickle the battery pretty much all the time it's parked up. Never had any problems.

murph7355

The 12V socket in the boot of my GT is permanently live and I use it to tickle the battery pretty much all the time it's parked up. Never had any problems.
Ditto. (Though mine charges the battery rather than tickle it :)).

azapa

I have been using one of those cheap Aldi (made by Ctek) chargers, the one with the LCD display on them. I have found the point that they switch from charging to trickle mode a little "fuzzy". Sometimes at 13.8V, sometimes it stays on full charge mode, sometimes it switched to "CHA" and seems to be in trickle charge mode. I was wondering if this vagueness was due to it being plugged in to the rear boot cigarette socket. The extra cabling or the cars electronics may not let the charge sense the true battery voltage??

I plan to do a direct battery connector, to see if it helps.

Aside from the above the charger has been keeping everything fine though, so can't complain.

Bobby Dandruff

Same here - I use a CTEK via the 12v socket in the boot and it charges nicely. The lights go on and then increase in number as the charge increases, so it works.

(I also walked past a house in our village recently where another GT owner does the same, on his drive! Mine is kept in a garage though..... ;-) )

CatmanV2

It's probably doing some maths around voltage and current required to maintain that voltage. Don't worry about it

C

allandwf

Still have, and use, my two CTeks that i've had for a good few years. Buttons on one are an issue as they need a good press other than that they owe me nothing.

redsonnylee

About to purchase a trickle charger for the Strad for use in the boot socket - think this CTEK is well recommended but any views appreciated before pressing the button;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FC42...lid=2NYWRJLRBSZN0&coliid=I2FE0SIICWO8M6&psc=1

Cheers in advance.

I’ve been using one for a while now without any problems. I have a set of leads permanently on the battery which has a connector to the charger. This makes it easier to disconnect if needed on another car.