Ferrari 412

zagatoes30

An unusual colour but I do keep getting attracted by these Ferrari 412, I remember when they were in the £10-15k bracket but was always scared off by the maintenance and service costs.

Ewan are you still restoring yours? I would love to have a look when it's ready for it's public debut

Ewan

I still have mine, yes. It's running well and I will use it again when the sun comes out. It's another of my "May until September" cars.

I still plan to repaint it, back to its original colour. I wanted to do it this spring and have it ready for the summer, but other things have gotten in the way.

You're very welcome to come and see it if you are ever passing through Dorset.

(Not a fan of the white of the car in that advert though. They look best in grey, blue or maroon IMHO)

Corranga

I know very little about them other than they used to be really cheap and most likely cost a small fortune to keep in good condition, but they are amazing looking cars.

The white is unusual, but I think somehow suits it.

Wanderer

I remember one of these for sale for just over £2k, fella in Carlisle took it P/X against a newish SAAB, gave him £1.2k against the SAAB. Wish I'd have took a chance on it - I dawdled and it was gone before I even saw it.

Think it was actually a 400 carb (six twin-choke Webers IIRC) but near enough!

Trying to think when it was, at same time I had a crack in an dark blue '76 Aston DBS V8, think the guy wanted £4295, clutch was phenomonally heavy so I passed on it seeing as my commute was rush hour East Lancs Road into M/cr back then.

Those were the days!

conaero

Forum Owner
That Fezzer is just minging, show how crazy the classic market has gone...like the 90's, there is a correction coming, dont get caught holding the baby!

Wanderer

What was the first 400 shaped-one called? Late 60's, had 6 circular rear lights instead of 4 and knock-off hub spinners?

365 GT4 2+2?

These cars looked very similar to the Lancia Gamma Coupe, both Pininfarina, very similar rear windows and wing treatment, but the Lancia had a very chunky front end, without the grace of the Ferrari. I had two Gamma Coupe's at once, both RHD, one for use, or for spares..

s Lancia Gamma Coupe.jpg

Ewan

The 365/400 have the original body, with the more elegant boot profile. For the 412 they raised the boot (to increase luggage capacity) but it somewhat spoiled the lines (IMHO). Although traditionalists like the early manual cars with carbs, many (myself included) prefer the fuel injected cars with the auto box, as that combination is a bit more suited to the style of the car and the general wafting about nature.

You can still pick up something tatty for less than £30k, but it'll cost a lot to get it up to spec. Remember, of course, that it's basically a Daytona in a different suit. £50k is the mark for something useable and smart. £100k is the very best. (Though the ex Keith Richards 400i sold at auction for about £250k a couple of months back, setting a new record for the model).

zagatoes30

Always been tempted by a Gamma but they have a terrible reputation for problems especially with that unique engine, very much of their time period. Probably not quite as expensive as a 400 to run but up there in the same region assuming you can find parts.

Wanderer

Always been tempted by a Gamma but they have a terrible reputation for problems especially with that unique engine, very much of their time period. Probably not quite as expensive as a 400 to run but up there in the same region assuming you can find parts.

2.5 ltd flat-four with the power steering driven off the rear of the engine off one of the cam shafts. Daft idea. Result of full lock on cold engine? jumped teeth and smashed valves, being an inference engine.

The one I had first was a deep blue with beige cloth seats, sagged and with holes on the driver side. Was a lovely drive though, beautiful car but it's saloon brother was well ugly, almost like on purpose.

Mine had a cracked headlight - headlight being totally unique. Cost me £295 for the headlight and that was early 90's - think I paid £750 for the car from Prestwich in Manchester.

I saw another rusty red one dumped near me, bought it for buttons, stripped it, can't remember what happened to either of them after that, I moved to Scotland under a bit of a cloud and just left them I think. You could do that sort of thing then, SORN my ****.....

zagatoes30

The 365/400 have the original body, with the more elegant boot profile. For the 412 they raised the boot (to increase luggage capacity) but it somewhat spoiled the lines (IMHO). Although traditionalists like the early manual cars with carbs, many (myself included) prefer the fuel injected cars with the auto box, as that combination is a bit more suited to the style of the car and the general wafting about nature.

I had never noticed the different boot line on the 412 but now you mention it I can see it clearly and it does look slightly ungainly

Wanderer

You can still pick up something tatty for less than £30k, but it'll cost a lot to get it up to spec. Remember, of course, that it's basically a Daytona in a different suit. £50k is the mark for something useable and smart. £100k is the very best. (Though the ex Keith Richards 400i sold at auction for about £250k a couple of months back, setting a new record for the model).

Another almost-might-have-been for me....

I was looking for one again, still got the ad pics somewhere I think - the 365 GT4 2+2 version, RHD, for sale in Ibiza, £10k, I dreamt of that drive back but in a rare moment of reality bites decided it wasn't a good idea, living in the rough-end of Bolton as I was. Had recurring nightmares of the Ferrari script on the boot disappearing every morning...

And it was brown too, so that put me off.....

Think I spunked £7k on a 1963 Cadillac Convertible instead, honestly, the **** I've wasted money on......

F456M

This one is also in the same Italian gentlemans express coupe league. Fiat 130 coupe. Ican buy one which need some work for 4.000 pounds in my country... should I do it? Much less than the 400i I deam of. But I already have a Ferrari and a Maserati and have never had a Fiat before.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 67

Corranga

Very pretty car the Fiat. Was the biggest car they made at the time I think, and might well still be! The Italian cars in this era are the best of the stacked 2 box looking cars imo.

F456M

I've always liked those....Just buy it!

Dave

I want to. But have six cars so no place to put it and not much extrabmoney to spend. I will have a look at it next week. It is gunmetal metallic with orange cloth interior. A three speed automatic so a good town car. My Cambiocorsa does not like stop and go traffic.