Ghibli Primatist

cedfred

This model was created to celebrate the world km water speed record, set on 4th November 1996 on Lugano lake by the pilot ***** Cappellini on a carbon fibre boat powered by two litre Maserati engine, based on the Ghibli engine.

See the video on Youtube:

34 Ghibli Primatist have been sold between 1996 and 1997.
Basicali, this is a Ghibli 2 GT with following special features:

Main Characteristics:
The Ghibli 2 GT has the following characteristics:
Designer : Marcelo Gandini
Weight : 1.365t
Engine : V6 biturbo 2 liters
Power : 306 PS
Max speed : 260 km/h
0 to 100 km/h : 5.7
0 to 1 km : 25.5

Special features and available options:
image001.jpg

Here are the known Primatist ZAM and locations:

ZAM CountryTownLicence plate
ZAM336B0000361856Romania
ZAM336B0000361863Germany
ZAM336B0000361864Turki
ZAM336B0000361862Japan
ZAM336B0000361868France
ZAM336B0000361876FranceChevreuseEJ 092 GG
ZAM336B0000361878Japan
ZAM336B0000361884Italia
ZAM336B0000361888RussiaNovosibirskK176AX17Z
ZAM336B0000361896EnglandAS 408 DE
ZAM336B0000361901Germany
GermanyLM LC 3
GermanyOF MO 54
GermanyHX XP 111
ItaliaAR 647 TV
GreeceZXK-5283

If you own a Primatist or now an owner, don't hesitate to send me any information to complete above list

Last edited:

safrane

Thak you for the write up. Great looking car.

Always fun to read old car tech sheets...love the big play on having a third stop light!

Ewan

There's at least one in the UK as I took a photo of it at the Club AGM at Prescott a couple of years back. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Mechanically they were a standard 2lt. Ghibli GT. What made them different was the unique colour way and the badge.

If a good one comes up, tell me. I'll buy it.

cedfred

There's at least one in the UK as I took a photo of it at the Club AGM at Prescott a couple of years back. I'll see if I can dig it out.
That would be great, thx!

Mechanically they were a standard 2lt. Ghibli GT. What made them different was the unique colour way and the badge.
and the 3rt high mounted stop light :D

Ewan

The top rear brake light wasn't unique to the Primatist. We had them in the late GT Ghiblis here in the UK.

dickyb

Beautiful car Fred, I've been following your very interesting thread on Maseratitude. In my opinion the Ghibli Primatist is the most beautiful Maserati ever made :)

Do you have the official number of cars built? Some sources say 35, some say 60, either way they are rarer than the Cup.

The interior tends to divide opinion as it is quite different (non-standard steering wheel on this Greek car, don't have the chassis number I'm afraid):

11.jpg

I believe there is just one Primatist in the UK, chassis number ZAM336B0000361896. It has the earlier type silver backed headlamps fitted which I believe was due to the owner having to fit RHD headlamps when the car was imported to the UK and being unable to locate the correct later style headlamps with black backings in RHD format:

IMG_0213.jpg

Were you aware of the automatic Primatist in Germany? Chassis number ZAM366B0000361696. It is believed to have been a special order and the only Primatist automatic produced (and therefore a 2.8 rather than a 2.0). It was supplied from the factory without the Primatist logos on the sides, these were supplied with the car but were never fitted by the owner. Interestingly the interior has the trim colours reversed, instead of the usual dark blue seat centres with turquoise bolsters and dashboard trim, this car has turquoise seat centres with dark blue bolsters and dashboard trim. It also has the darker wood trim of the GT rather than the much paler wood usually seen on a Primatist. Unusually it was also fitted with KS wheels rather than the usual GT or Cup style wheels. I'm not sure if this car is included officially in the Primatist records as it is a bit of a hybrid but as they were never officially numbered like European Cups we perhaps will never know:

primatist_automatic-09a.jpg

primatist_automatic-13a.jpg

primatist_automatic-03.jpg

cedfred

Hi dickyb,
thanks for your comments!
Unfortunately, I can't open your attachments...

The official number of Primatist built is 34 - I've got it from Maserati Classic department.
I think the confusion is coming from Maserati who initially - back in 1996 - announced they where going to build 60 Primatist... sound like they where not able to sell them as expected!

I don't have more information on the German 2.8l that look like a Primatist. But from what make the Primatist... it is not a Primatist and it looks rather like a special order. In my communication with Maserati, they have been very clear about the fact that the Primatist is fitted with a 2l engine.
I will need to ask Maserati to confirm that.
Maybe it is the 35th Primatist :) !

StuartW

What a fantastic looking car, the colour really shows off the lines of the Ghibli so well

dickyb

Hi dickyb,
thanks for your comments!
Unfortunately, I can't open your attachments...

The official number of Primatist built is 34 - I've got it from Maserati Classic department.
I think the confusion is coming from Maserati who initially - back in 1996 - announced they where going to build 60 Primatist... sound like they where not able to sell them as expected!

I don't have more information on the German 2.8l that look like a Primatist. But from what make the Primatist... it is not a Primatist and it looks rather like a special order. In my communication with Maserati, they have been very clear about the fact that the Primatist is fitted with a 2l engine.
I will need to ask Maserati to confirm that.
Maybe it is the 35th Primatist :) !

Edited, hopefully the pictures work now...

zagatoes30

This one was taken in the UK with my SZ in a Classic Car photo shoot back in May 2005, I have more photos at home

1930060_16766066273_3523_n.jpg

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I planned to buy one, about 2 years ago. It was around €20k in Budapest and had been very well looked after. I drew the €, booked flights and hotels, agreed a price, and then was gazumped the day before I flew.

As an aside, the owner did reimburse my flights and hotel, which softened the blow. I'm still gutted that I missed out on it.

dickyb

@ dicky, yes it works now, thx!

@ Andy, I know this photo, I've seen it on the forum :) : great shoots!
They are at http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/11986-Classic-Car-Photo-Shoot?highlight=Primatist
If you have few more I will be interested to see them.
Do you know the Owner of the Primatist and do you have its ZAM ?

That Primatist is probably the only one in the UK, the last known owner was called Philip Beale, not sure if he still owns it, I think the chassis number is ****1896, last known registration number AS 408 DE (still on Italian plates). The car was originally imported to the UK in around 2000 by a guy who was only 21 at the time.

Dicky, I know the feeling, I booked a flight to Athens to go and buy a slightly scruffy Primatist from a used car dealer a couple of years ago, only 16000 euros, unfortunately someone came along and bought it the day before my flight. As with you, the dealer reimbursed all my costs and told me I'd be the first to know if another one came in...

13.jpg

12.jpg

cedfred

I planned to buy one, about 2 years ago. It was around €20k in Budapest and had been very well looked after. I drew the €, booked flights and hotels, agreed a price, and then was gazumped the day before I flew.

Hi dickygrace, I'm afraid I will have to apologize here - sound like I'm the guy who bought the car you were looking for :-( !
Sorry for that !

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Hi dickygrace, I'm afraid I will have to apologize here - sound like I'm the guy who bought the car you were looking for :-( !
Sorry for that !

Not your fault, it was the seller who went back on his word. But like I said, he was decent enough to reimburse my costs, although I lost about £500 on changing the Euros back. Is it a good car? Have you had to spend a great deal on it?

zagatoes30

@ dicky, yes it works now, thx!

@ Andy, I know this photo, I've seen it on the forum :) : great shoots!
They are at http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showthread.php/11986-Classic-Car-Photo-Shoot?highlight=Primatist
If you have few more I will be interested to see them.
Do you know the Owner of the Primatist and do you have its ZAM ?

As previously mentioned the owner was called Phil, he also had a Shamal at the time. I will publish the other photos I have from this shoot when I get back home tonight

Ewan

Here's my pic of a Primatist at Prescott a couple of years ago. To the left is a normal ABS model Ghibli, and the right is a Cup.

Ghibli Primatist.jpg