Blu Defender

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
That's a fair chunk of change for an antiquated rattle trap. Fair dos if it floats your boat, but it puts mine on the rocks.

ChrisQP09

That's a fair chunk of change for an antiquated rattle trap. Fair dos if it floats your boat, but it puts mine on the rocks.

haha, personally cheaper to be had but I'm sure some landy freaks would appreciate it, event @ price tag!

Andyk

I drove one of these some years ago....Once was enough and never again. I get its for the person who likes the smell of manure first thing in the morning but it was still bloody awful to drive and be in.

Wack61

They're like and old dog, should have been put down years ago but you just can't bring yourself to do it.

I've had 3 over the last 7-8 years but I'm over it now , the newer ones with the 2.2 transit engine in are much better than the old ones to drive but not much use if you need a scanner to get it going in the middle of Africa

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Chap in our village spent over £100K on a Kahn custom Defender, you know 'Chelsea Truck Company' with a Kings Road London address, but actually made in Bradford.
Not for me!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I wouldn't buy anything with KAHN written on it; cheap, chavvy cr4p that costs an awful lot. His body kits look like something you'd get out of a Poundstore Christmas cr4cker, but without the class.

zagatoes30

You forget how basic these are , not amount of add-ons is going to improve that. If you need plough a field or climb a mountain get a Defender otherwise get a Disco or and Range Rover

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I wouldn't buy anything with KAHN written on it; cheap, chavvy cr4p that costs an awful lot. His body kits look like something you'd get out of a Poundstore Christmas cr4cker, but without the class.

You are not wrong.
At first when he was telling me about it, I thought he may have bought a 'Twisted'....then he said 'Kahn'....
He did have a few problems after he took delivery. Specified parts not fitted, but invoiced, quality problems with the paintwork after the 'body kit' fitting with it having to go back for rectification etc...

RSM Masser

Forced to drive them for years
Hated them, uncomfortable, awkward driving position, gutless in non turbo form and not much better with, noisy, smelly.
Passed HGV and got given a Bedford MK - as a company vehicle, it wasn't much better!

I would never buy one of these, I have seen some nice looking ones, I would rather get a bus.

Andyk

Forced to drive them for years
Hated them, uncomfortable, awkward driving position, gutless in non turbo form and not much better with, noisy, smelly.
Passed HGV and got given a Bedford MK - as a company vehicle, it wasn't much better!

I would never buy one of these, I have seen some nice looking ones, I would rather get a bus.

I'm surprised they have gone on for so long to be honest ...... hateful vehicle.....living on an imagine of the past.

midlifecrisis

I love the defender for it's character. Drove one in the RAF, a V8 down in the Falklands, even had a jacked-up 90 at Bournemouth Airport, very wayward steering, wouldn't go above 60mph down the runway, nor would to take it above 50mph for long anyway. An ex-boss has one and he uses it as his company car, but he is mad.

The Defender was just an evolution of the Series 1/II/IIA etc...and not to be taken seriously as a Motor Car, that's why they came out with the Range Rover which begat the Chelsea Tractor which begat the Soft SUV. So it's legacy is all around us.

RSM Masser

I remember getting a V8 LWB for an exercise, it was instantly commandeered by the MT department who ragged it around the country for a month.
The fuel that it used was horrific, averaging about 10mpg - it would do over 100mph on cross country tyres which wailed like a banshee with its balls in a vice!
The next V8 was Iraq c2003 the dreaded ****** from NI, painted sand colour which made it instantly acceptable for use in 40 degree heat, later versions had diesol power and air con (for the driver) it was always an all out race down the strip at APOD, I don't recall the top speed, it wasn't that quick but trying to stop a 3 ton armoured LR with those brakes was a bit of a guessing game.
Fuel consumption was even more horrific, c 100miles for a tank full, luckily there was plenty around and it was free!

urquattrogus

Having your legs permanently at right angle, and having to drive everywhere with the window down(not enough room), two Defender traits!

We have a Series III with just 8600 miles on from new, owned by the company since something like 1983.

Some of the reason it's got so few miles are the fact that it's like riding a bucking bronco and makes a short journey feel like a long one.

Fun to drive though, especially off road, or when the drum brakes don't pull you up straight!

55mph is flat out, no overdrive, start it in 2nd gear most of the time etc.