Advice for Pensions!!

Scaf

I have only dabbled in shares once and that was via a fund managed by Lloyds Private Banking.
5 years later and 000's in fees I was just 6% up.
Same amount in property gave me 30% in capital gain plus I got the rental income.
Shares are for people who know what they are doing - i.e. NOT ME !

Slowly

I'm in the fortunate position / have worked towards anticipating a good DB pension (though the goalposts and tax treatment of that are constantly changing, but that is not relevant here) so I am as guilty of thread drift as any because all my investments discussed above are all just additional savings and therefore I can take the risk of putting them in equities (more speculative than would be advised if they were for a pension for someone of my age). However, for general equity investments I'd repeat two key points -
1) keep platform / tax costs low (look at costs of your provider and shelter from tax in ISAs),
2) consider whether you think adviser/fund manager costs are worth it - (compare the cost of a simple tracker with (the rise in their fund - the slice they take for providing that rise)) and you may find that they are not adding value and that very low cost trackers are the way forward.
If, as the OP asked, one is looking for pension advice this isn't the place, because there are lots of issues to do with tax relief, employer contributions etc. which outweigh simple investment strategies like mine or the make-you-a-million frontier shares...!

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep only put what you can afford to lose in anything and be patient! Trading is very hard but doing research and believing in a company's fundamentals is key.

Slowly

Yep only put what you can afford to lose in anything and be patient! Trading is very hard but doing research and believing in a company's fundamentals is key.

Indeed - if comparing the stock market with the 2% returns on deposit accounts remember to look at graphs of any major market - take the FTSE 100 for example - over the last 10 years and, regardless of dividends, compound interest etc, think of, say, a £100k savings pot and whether you would be happy to see it fluctuate between the lows and highs - perhaps half or double that value... the market has been high recently but it could crash.. dripping in your investment can help with that, but ultimately it is risky.

Wack61

Do you have to take financial advice to take the 25% now, my wife is 55 and quite frankly the payments she'll get at 65 are laughable , so she wants to take the 25% out now but was told by the pension company she needed to take financial advice

I've tried giving her advice but apparently spending it on Ewan's QP isn't the advice she's looking for

Contigo

Sponsor
Just sold all FRR and bought back in trading ISA so I'm not stung on Capital Gains when these go into orbit.

Moz1000

If you are in a defined benefit pension with a good number of years contribution, you should ask for a cash transfer quote as well as your normal guarranteed benefit quote. This is because many private companies are wanting to offload their pension liability via a substantial cash transfer. You may be surprised at the amount they are willing to provide. You can then take 25% of this cash and invest the rest in a SIPP and draw off. Take advise from an IFA.
Moz

If you are in a defined benefit pension with a good number of years contribution, you should ask for a cash transfer quote as well as your normal guarranteed benefit quote. This is because many private companies are wanting to offload their pension liability via a substantial cash transfer. You may be surprised at the amount they are willing to provide. You can then take 25% of this cash and invest the rest in a SIPP and draw off. Take advise from an IFA.
Moz

A person coming up to retirement is nearly always better off in a DB (defined benefits) scheme, as opposed to a DC (defined contribution) scheme.
One of the few exceptions to this rule of thumb, is when a pension scheme is facing insolvency.
l have led a few very long, very complex negotiations for management, where a company wanted to make a major change to the terms and conditions of its DB pension scheme, because the scheme was critically underfunded.
The ONLY advice in these circumstances that is worth anything, is that which directly relates to your own pension scheme, because the circumstances surrounding every scheme can be very different. If you can, seek your own independent advice, because your own interests won't always align with that of your representatives.

midlifecrisis

Has anyone used Funding Circle for a loan or as an investment opportunity?
With having a stack of cash not doing anything but sitting in the bank, I feel that it should go to work.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

JonW

Has anyone used Funding Circle for a loan or as an investment opportunity?
With having a stack of cash not doing anything but sitting in the bank, I feel that it should go to work.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Have not done it myself, but I know a bunch of the partners at my work are lenders on Funding Circle, or Zopa, or some of the other P2B lenders...

I think you can generate a decent return, and if you lend out the cash in chunks rather than all to one person you can minimise the default risk!

Last edited:

Contigo

Sponsor
Well done Hoyin on GGP, some serious movement today, where else can you make 85% and more? :D

GGP 1.29 change 0.60 (+86.96%)

Plenty more to come by the looks of what they now have. Another SOLG in the making?

hoyin

Well done Hoyin on GGP, some serious movement today, where else can you make 85% and more? :D

Plenty more to come by the looks of what they now have. Another SOLG in the making?

Yes. Very lucky indeed! Hopefully still plenty of rising to be done. Surprised it hit 1p today so quickly. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

May work out that I don't need to sell the GTS to buy a bigger car. I might just keep it and buy another!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wattie

If any of you would like to buy physical gold, silver, or platinum as a hedge against the (Brexit) sterling/market/political situation,please contact me for special terms.

Free confidential online accounts available, live dealing and worldwide storage/delivery.....handy for tax!

In GBP, Gold was +30%,2016 and +4.3% year to date. 12.3% pa average return over 15 years.
Silver 40%, 2016 and marginally up 0.1 this year. 12.9%pa average over same

Why consider precious metals?
1.Global stockmarkets are massively overvalued after years of central bank manipulation via QE. This is about to be unwound.
2.Trump/Korea war risks....it could all change with a tweet!!
3. Talk of a "Brexit no deal" could see sterling plummet.
4. Another GLOBAL financial crisis is just around the corner......the powers that be have solved nothing- more debt exists now than EVER before.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business...-of-another-global-financial-crisis-1.3249285

www.buying-bullion.com

Having an allocation to precious metals in your portfolio could be a shrewd move.
Cheers Wattie

hoyin

Are you in?? Someone made a 32.5m purchase late today!

Will probably be going crazy tomorrow! Interesting times ahead.

Contigo

Sponsor
Are you in?? Someone made a 32.5m purchase late today!

Will probably be going crazy tomorrow! Interesting times ahead.

Yes mate I'm in! topped up today too.

Yes saw that, maybe why the price was kept so low today to fill an order so big?

I reckon they will be snapped up by Newmont, they know what's down there with access to the project tenements and exploration database, as well as the right of first refusal should Greatland wish to sell or joint venture the project. Very interesting times indeed. Strad? :D