Bad earth

FIFTY

Hi guys seems as though the dreaded has happened, water has got into the passenger foot well via either a torn door seal or potentially the windscreen seal and my electrics are playing up.

Currently what it is doing is setting off the interior lights when I put the car in reverse gear.

How do I get to and check/repair the earth in the passenger footwell? Thanks!

CatmanV2

If it's like the 4200 you have the whole fusebox under there. Remove the mat there should be a cover which you can undo the screws on

C

FIFTY

Hi C, yes it is a 4200. Autofficina tell me they're is an earth back there that I need to go into and check if it's corroded

CatmanV2

Hi C, yes it is a 4200. Autofficina tell me they're is an earth back there that I need to go into and check if it's corroded

For some reason I thought you had a 3200!

Yep so get in the fusebox. I don't recall precisely but you should be able to see it. And you'll know if your box is full of water

C

FIFTY

Thanks C, I'll have a look tonight/tomorrow

If the leak is coming from the windscreen seal that might partly explain my broken sports mode if the water has gone into the body control unit behind the dash

conaero

Forum Owner
Body control unit it the other side from the fuse box...above the accelerator pedal.

FIFTY

Thanks Matt, it's not wet/damp/condensated at all on the drivers side only passenger side

FIFTY

Well the fuse boxes are dry but I fear it is a lot worse... the wiring loom behind the centre console is essentially soaked. (To the top right of the footwell/fuseboxes)

Other than crapping myself is there anything I can do?? I have left the covers off and the passenger door open (locked garage) and battery switch off... should I stick the dehumidifier in the garage on max overnight or is that a bad idea with half a tank worth of fuel in the car??

CatmanV2

Well it won't *hurt*

The other thing you could do to start is to make sure the pollen filter is not full of water, or it's going to take forever.

Good luck!

c

FIFTY

Cheers C. Fingers crossed it dries out and is ok.

The pollen filter was cleaned out in August and I just had a major service

FIFTY

The engine was running spot on seems to only be effecting the interior lights and potentially skyhook suspension.

Although since changing the switch panel on the diagnostic machine it now shows the switch opening and closing.

safrane

Top right of the center concel is where the air con drain goes into the transmission tunnel to run off.

Check its not become dislodged or blocked causing it to over flow.

Also its close to the heater matrix - test the water for sweet taste.

FIFTY

Yep it's the heater core the water is sweet with a bitter aftertaste...

Not really a DIY job is it?

FIFTY

20-25 hours labour! I'm going to do the bypass so I have no leak but no heater and sort out the electrics. When I can either afford to replace the core or take a week off to do it myself it will have to wait sadly.

Edit: I read Craig Watermans blog and he cites 12-14hrs and provides a load more info http://craig-waterman.com/?cat=36

w1lde1

Had a similar issue which was draining the battery
water was found in the window management system (green box). Dried it out and was fine until next major bad weather episode. Unable to locate where the water is coming in still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFTY

I did the heater divert on Thursday night. Used a bit of old garden hose to blow out the remaining coolant from the heater core. Left it for a day with the dehumidifier on in the garage. Once dry I went back in with a damp rag and tried to clean as mitch residue off from the antifreeze drying. The part of the loom closest to the bulkhead is a little difficult to reach and is sticky from the residue so I'll have to go back in for another attempt.

Good news is the interior lights have stopped flashing and no engine warning light. Just brought her up to Reading for a shopping trip didn't skip a beat

Bad news is both front and rear fogs don't seem to be working and still no SPORTS mode

CatmanV2

I did the heater divert on Thursday night. Used a bit of old garden hose to blow out the remaining coolant from the heater core. Left it for a day with the dehumidifier on in the garage. Once dry I went back in with a damp rag and tried to clean as mitch residue off from the antifreeze drying. The part of the loom closest to the bulkhead is a little difficult to reach and is sticky from the residue so I'll have to go back in for another attempt.

Good news is the interior lights have stopped flashing and no engine warning light. Just brought her up to Reading for a shopping trip didn't skip a beat

Bad news is both front and rear fogs don't seem to be working and still no SPORTS mode

Well some good news then. Checked the fuses?

Keep the de-humidifer running

C

DPS20K

Check your hose connections first before assuming it is the core. I had a similar leak in the passenger foot well and it turned out to be leaking from the hose that connects to the heater core on that side. A quick tightening up of the jubilee clip and all was sorted. No need to take the dash out to tighten the clip, you can get to it from under the dash once you have removed the trim under the glove box.