Heater matrix failed

maverick

Having trouble with my airbag light keep coming on , so off she went to Voicey's to finally sort the issue out once and for all and guess what ?
Yep, the heater matrix has failed and leaked lovely blue coolant on the ecu and fried it .
So picked the car up and will tackle the 12 -14 hour job my self all for a £50 part with probably many calls to Voicey for help .Ill have to do this over several evenings and not planning on rushing it .Once i have it all back together Voicey will reset everything .I suppose it could of been a lot worse ! Still will need to source a air bag ecu as the one I order went missing .

TridentTested

Hmmn. I wonder is the matrix an Alfa part.

The 166's matrix is a known weak point; it has killed many a good car because the engine ECU is totalled by a leak.

safrane

The matrix is shared with a number of cars...there is a post one here somewhere. Also one uses metal pipes and is far more robust.

Panicracing

Craig Waterman has just had a Beautiful one made up with a brass header in the USA.
Just seen that on FB. Was going to ask if this was a modified matrix or a full scratch built unit but does look a good job either way.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Migliore

I`m in the same boat, I discovered the wet carpet in the footwell.

I`ve just waited 3 weeks for some hose to be delivered too. I`d contemplated getting a matching parts, how easy would it be to find hoses made to order?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Craig Waterman has just had a Beautiful one made up with a brass header in the USA.

It's like the aluminium radiator in my old elise, with plastic crimped end caps, that fail eventually.
To change the radiator you have to remove the whole front clamshell, so a fully welded aluminium radiator is the way forward.

Wally

We have to be realistic, OK, the Alfa 166-matrix is not the best quality. I had to change mine at 217.000km. It was still the Original part.(Marelli) So not too bad. But on a car that sits for a long time, it will have a shorter life. I think that the Nissens-substitute will last longer. (partnumber: see "alternative parts")

maverick

We have to be realistic, OK, the Alfa 166-matrix is not the best quality. I had to change mine at 217.000km. It was still the Original part.(Marelli) So not too bad. But on a car that sits for a long time, it will have a shorter life. I think that the Nissens-substitute will last longer. (partnumber: see "alternative parts")

That's the one I have bought hopefully it will be ok

Migliore

I've ordered the Marelli too, Aus $150 plus delivery. From an Australian company so the post is cheaper than from Eurospares and should be quicker too.

FIFTY

Let me know how you get on Mav. I discovered mine had failed around the same time as you. Done the heater divert for the moment and think I will tackle the core during early autumn.

philw696

The first job I did the day I started at Maserati was a heater matrix on a 4200 I remember it well just take your time it's not too bad.

conaero

Forum Owner
The first job I did the day I started at Maserati was a heater matrix on a 4200 I remember it well just take your time it's not too bad.

Exactly it's not difficult, just takes time.

Clear yourself a day and you will be surprised how far you get.

FIFTY

I'm confident taking the dash apart and changing the core. Putting it back together worries me; end result of a wonky dash lol.

Is it covered in the workshop manual? I looked through last night but didn't find it amongst the 700 odd pages but I wasnt looking very hard.