Merc ML or LR Disco?

ChrisQP09

Looking a reliable nice looking 4x4 mile cruncher. Has anyone got any experiences of the above? I'm particularly swayed toward an ML320 or Disco 3

Wack61

I don't think you'll find either of those particularly reliable

For reliable I'd go Japanese, land cruiser amazon plus it won't be worth 19p when you want to sell it , try and find one that's had the air suspension removed or replaced

You see them with 500k on

allandwf

I had an ML for three years. Crank sensor replacement and propshaft bearing were only issues. Would definitely have another if looking for big 4x4. I also found dealer to be helpful.

Ewan

My business partner is just about to sell his 2012 Disco as his new one arrives in two weeks. He bought this car new (so it's a 1 owner car) for about £54k and he'll be advertising it at about £26k. It's an HSE model, with high spec, has done 60k miles (approx.) and has full main dealer service history. Is not put a foot wrong in his 6 years of ownership, so has been 100% reliable. Dark blue exterior, with tan leather interior. Comes with a choice of wheels, rubber boot liner, etc.

Feel free to contact me if this is of any interest.

GeoffCapes

An ML320 isn't the greatest of drive tbh.

A newer ML350 is a much better car. Have no experience of a Disco though.

Team GCR

If you are going to be towing then definitely the Disco.

I have a Disco 3 with 165K miles on it, is it perfect, no but overall it has been very reliable.

I have driven a couple of friends' ML and the Disco feels much better screwed together inside which did surprise me having had an SL500 in the past. Also the V6 petrol ML has 12 spark plugs but often only the top six are changed as the other six are hard to get at and this can cause a whole world of pain.

Personally of the two I would have another Discovery.

ChrisQP09

Levante?:)
Eb

I said reliable :), still too early to assume it's a gd car.

My business partner is just about to sell his 2012 Disco as his new one arrives in two weeks. He bought this car new (so it's a 1 owner car) for about £54k and he'll be advertising it at about £26k. It's an HSE model, with high spec, has done 60k miles (approx.) and has full main dealer service history. Is not put a foot wrong in his 6 years of ownership, so has been 100% reliable. Dark blue exterior, with tan leather interior. Comes with a choice of wheels, rubber boot liner, etc.

Thanks Ewan, but budget around 8-10k and will consider most with <120k and fsh.

Thanks everyone, I have a Toyota Avensis that pushes 65mpg on 140k+ miles so I agree with the *** sentiment. Although they're not lookers and so something with a touch of class would do the trick!

Keano

Have had both ML320 and currently ML350. ML320 did 220K before wife drove into rear of Disco and write off. Great car and she wanted another so picked the ML350 with 50K miles on it and doing 20K per year. Have had both off road in fields and they coped very well. Solid and reliable. Ml320 needed gearbox work for torque converter at around 180K miles but that was £1k at local gearbox place. Defo recommend ML,

Needamaser

Landcruiser if you want a workhorse.......

^^^ whs

Pal of mine is on his second. Had it 7 years and replaced virtually nothing on it. He keeps saying he should change it but he would just buy another one and nothing wrong with the one he has.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club

That sounds rather nice.
Are they really worth 50% at 5/6 years old though? Suprised that is all.

zagatoes30

We are about to replace our RR with a Toureag, looked at the ML and it looks good on paper but a bit small for us.

The RR only is 03 plate with 88k and has had all the big jobs done before the warranty ran out, it is a great tow barge and is in reasonable nick compared to most around

ChrisQP09

If anyone is interested, I'll be selling my 08' Toyota Avensis D4D Business Edition with full comprehensive toyota history and MOT'd Fed 18. 141k on clock, mechanically excellent and cosmetically very good too. I average 60 MPG and top out at 65mpg on cruise (62mph).

Looking 2,750 OVNO

Ewan

That sounds rather nice.
Are they really worth 50% at 5/6 years old though? Suprised that is all.

That's the power of the brand and the vehicle. The depreciation is glacial. His figure of £26K is simply what "we buy any car" offer, so is the back stop. That said, he's not fussed about every last penny so he'll probably out it at this anyway.

rockits

I have had an XC90 V8 SE Lux 56 plate for about a year. A 1 owner from new full main dealer history, 195k miles and cost me 5k. Never gone wrong drives great. It has 315bhp, safe and functional....great VFM.

philw696

Love it Benny talking from experience aye mate.
My Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 ticks the boxes for me and with the 6 speed does everything well for.
Out with it this weekend for a off roading outing.

zagatoes30

Sounds good value, the HSE is the one to have. We have been looking at these and but with a bit less miles. The price seems about the going rate for a 60k 12 plate