Dashboard clock back light

atreyu1

Hi Guys,
I've just found another job to add to the list on my newly acquired 03 4200. The back light in the dashboard clock doesn't work. Does anyone know how to gain access to the bulb. I don't think it's going to be easy but it's another annoying thing to fix.

Thanks, John.

CatmanV2

It's not a bulb, it's an electroluminescent panel. If you're lucky it's a loose connection, but it's probably dead, Im afraid.

New clock is the only option (unless you're really handy with the electronics. I recall someone on the states wired up a new one) And not cheap, sadly :(

C

safrane

Dash top off and you can access the screw.

There is a How To on here somewhere.

atreyu1

Absolutely fantastic, this forum has to be the best I've ever been on for anything. So much information freely given.
Thanks very much, John.

2b1ask1

Special case
It will be a burnt out ballast chip on the PCB behind the EL panel, the chip is available but only if you are willing to buy 10,000!!! The EL colour is dependent upon the voltage delivered and I believe it is 74v on this. I did an LED replacement but it was very patchy and even with multiple diffusers it had bright spots and dull areas. It served me for a while but in the end I found a clock from one of the breakers and replaced it. I'll see if I can find the thread.

2b1ask1

Special case
Just scan read the data sheet again and there's your problem; the chip is rated to 56v the clock is printed at 94v!!! Maybe that is why they burn out....