Minimum front brake disc thickness for 2012 GTS

sofasurfer

It's time to change my front pads and get my discs skimmed but the company who carry out the skimming need to know a GT's minimum thickness. They said they could ask Maserati but it would take up to 10 days so I was wondering if anyone on here has had it done and what the minimum can be.

Many thanks.

voicey

It should be printed on the disc. They are 32mm thick new and 30mm minimum (from memory).

safrane

Yep only 2mm of wear on their disc to keep within the tolerance of the hardened surface.

Wack61

Would it not be possible to get them skimmed and re hardened , 2mm sounds like a marketing exercise rather than a safety issue

Azher

Need to get my discs done too. Are there any reputable places in the NW anyone is aware of? Also would you be buying Maserati pads?
Thanks

Wack61

I think EBC are the pads of choice , yellow or red , maserati pads are crazy money

GT Cars are in Chester, autoshield in Manchester though any garage can change discs and pads

MGT

Bumping an old thread because I'm keen to hear from anyone who has skimmed before. How did it go, success/failure? Do the discs warp more easily after?

Razz

Bumping an old thread because I'm keen to hear from anyone who has skimmed before. How did it go, success/failure? Do the discs warp more easily after?
From my experience on QPV 4.7 warping is more likely after a re-skim. And if not skimmed properly then I’m afraid it’s almost inevitable. With only OEM available for front discs it’s not cheap replacing.
Best

Leachy

Yep only 2mm of wear on their disc to keep within the tolerance of the hardened surface.

Out of interest if the discs are below the 30mm what would the result be?
Poor stopping and poor pedal
Feel?
My brakes are awful and do not fill
Me with confidence. Think it may be down to bleeding without correct Maserati machine to open and valves.

CatmanV2

Eventually they will fall apart. But what you're experiencing is unlikely (unless extreme) to be disc wear

C

Leachy

My car went into a reputable Indy. Front bleed nipple was not locked off properly and resulted in the fluid being dumped all over front wheel and calliper which they refurbished. The pedal feel Has been awful since. I read somewhere about damaging seals in master cylinder if pedal goes all way to floor. They collected the car and drive it back to their workshop, the pedal was travelling all way to the floor when they took car back, I wonder if this had caused damage.
I’m going to take to Lancaster’s to have brakes bled, will see if this makes a difference using proper machine.

CatmanV2

If the seals flip over on some cars, this can cause awful brakes. Certainly sounds like you should have words with them!

C

philw696

Out of interest if the discs are below the 30mm what would the result be?
Poor stopping and poor pedal
Feel?
My brakes are awful and do not fill
Me with confidence. Think it may be down to bleeding without correct Maserati machine to open and valves.
We only bled the brakes old school at Maserati down here and the same at Ford/Mazda.

Zep

Blu Elettrico of this shire had similar horrible brakes issues with his GTS. Had them bled over and over with no discernible improvement. Replacing the master cylinder resolved the issue straight away. Its a pretty big job I understand. He was told it was the first one they had seen failed.