Dash brightness

P R

At night my satnav screen is eye burningly bright.

In the settings I have the brightness set to "Auto". This doesn't appear to do anything.

I know you can manually set it to dim when the headlights are on, but I would have thought that the "auto" setting would sort the brightness out.

Does anyone else's do this automatically?

MrMickS

The only auto-adjust I've seen is dimming when the lights come on. At that point you can use the little wheel to the left of the steering wheel to change the brightness. I've not see it auto-adjust the brightness of the screen at all and I believe that I have it configured to do so.

I'm always fiddling with the brightness manually once the lights come on and the screen dims.

spkennyuk

At night my satnav screen is eye burningly bright.

In the settings I have the brightness set to "Auto". This doesn't appear to do anything.

I know you can manually set it to dim when the headlights are on, but I would have thought that the "auto" setting would sort the brightness out.

Does anyone else's do this automatically?

I cant say for your particular sat nav but most sat navs including the 4200 have a night setting / colour scheme. If its not ticked then the sat nav screen stays in daytime mode even at night.

P R

Haha thanks for the replies. You can choose night or day and have different pre set brightness. I will have to mess about a bit more as I thought 'auto' would have dimmed it a bit at night... though apparently this isn't the case

outrun

It should dim it at night from memory.

I recall that if the small toggle switch that adjust the cluster brightness is set to the top (most bright), it bypasses the light sensor. Try putting it down a little and see if that activates it. I also remember that if you put the toggle to the very top, past the top brightness settings, it turns on the interior lights and takes them off of the light sensor too. It confused the **** out of me when I first collected my Ghibli and couldn't turn off the interior lights at night !!

MrMickS

It should dim it at night from memory.

I recall that if the small toggle switch that adjust the cluster brightness is set to the top (most bright), it bypasses the light sensor. Try putting it down a little and see if that activates it. I also remember that if you put the toggle to the very top, past the top brightness settings, it turns on the interior lights and takes them off of the light sensor too. It confused the **** out of me when I first collected my Ghibli and couldn't turn off the interior lights at night !!

I had the same problem with the interior light. I'll try the moving it down from full though and see if that does anything. It would be good if the manual explained all this ;)

MrMickS

According to the manual auto mode is automatically switching from Day to Night mode. This is the change in the colours that happens when the lights come on. So nothing to do with screen brightness.

You should be able to adjust the default brightness for each of the display modes from the MTC Display Settings. I've not played with this yet, but will probably try to adjust it later as it is a bit bright. What relation this has to the toggle wheel I don't know.

P R

Yes read the relevant section in the manual. When on auto it's supposed to select the night colours on the map. Mine doesn't.
I also found you can switch the dipped beams for driving abroad :)

MrMickS

Yes read the relevant section in the manual. When on auto it's supposed to select the night colours on the map. Mine doesn't.
I also found you can switch the dipped beams for driving abroad :)

I think mine switches the colours for the night map. I'll check later.

The dipped beam switch sounds good. I'll check that for the next time I'm abroad. I did ask the dealer if there was anything I needed to do for the last trip and they said I'd be ok as it was.

Still finding things out almost a year into ownership.

P R

Its in the light section of the settings. It says something like "Dipped headlights" Traffic switchover or similar. I parked facing a wall and ticked it, the "up" part of the beam lowers and the whole lot moves over to the right.

P R

Right I've sussed it. Auto night display is over ridden by the brightness dial by your knee. You need it on the 3rd setting down for it to work!