What tyres should I get for my QP and where should I get them?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I will be needing some new summer tyres for my QP (after LLandow). I have read ALL the 'tyres' threads on the forum, and I still have no idea what to buy and where to buy them!

I'm not a crazy racer type, I just want some good, not too expensive tyres for my very ordinary 4.2 QP on 19in wheels.

I would also like to know where best to get them from. Blackcircles seems to only offer Pirelli. The Michelin website says they don't have any tyres that fit......

Currently I have Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres on the QP, which say they are: Front: 245 / 40 R 19 98 V Rear: 285 / 40 R 19 103 V

Help!

MrMickS

Interestingly due to the size of my rear tyres the chap that came and fitted the first set I had would only go ahead and fit them if I understood that he couldn't guarantee not scuffing the alloys.

The problem is that the 20" 285/35s only just fit on the portable fitting machine in the van. It's put me off such a thing in the future.

If you're a Maserati Club member you can get £50 back off a pair of fitted Pirellis if that's your choice.

bigbob

Personally for summer use I prefer Continental or Michelin. Agree about summer P Zeros being poor but, like you, I run Sotto Zeros in the winter and they are fine.

zagatoes30

The problem with strange sizes is that it can be hard to get the right tyres on a specific size. My personal favourite is always Goodyear Eagle F1s - AS3 now followed by Michelin Pilots but if they are not available I would look for Continentals, Bridgestone etc. I would never use Pirelli tyres well unless there was absolutely no alternative

zagatoes30

If PZeros are so bad, why do Maserati use them?
Eb

They're italian? Otherwise I have no idea but they were original fit to the SZ and a lot of owners would search them out religiously. Now they are no longer available alot have moved on to other makes and nearly everyone says how much better the car feels.

In my experience in the dry they are good, if a little soft and hence they wear quickly but in the cold and wet they feel really hard and rigid, they give little feed back which means it is hard to know what grip you have which is then what causes them to let go to easily. Maybe in wamrer climates or on cars that only get summer use they are fine but here they have too many negatives in my opinion.

StuartW

They're italian? Otherwise I have no idea but they were original fit to the SZ and a lot of owners would search them out religiously. Now they are no longer available alot have moved on to other makes and nearly everyone says how much better the car feels.

In my experience in the dry they are good, if a little soft and hence they wear quickly but in the cold and wet they feel really hard and rigid, they give little feed back which means it is hard to know what grip you have which is then what causes them to let go to easily. Maybe in wamrer climates or on cars that only get summer use they are fine but here they have too many negatives in my opinion.

That sums them up perfectly.
Even Maserati have seen this and occasionally offer Continentals instead which for me, are a dramatic improvement

AndyG

That sums them up perfectly.
Even Maserati have seen this and occasionally offer Continentals instead which for me, are a dramatic improvement

c2056912e560ee60f16ebe012f099f14.jpg

Running Bridgestones on mine at the moment, may just get 6k out of the rears including Brunty last year, got to say I can't fault them wet or dry, however I do run with a slightly higher aspect ratio which has done wonders for the ride quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndyG

c2056912e560ee60f16ebe012f099f14.jpg

Running Bridgestones on mine at the moment, may just get 6k out of the rears including Brunty last year, got to say I can't fault them wet or dry, however I do run with a slightly higher aspect ratio and 295 on the rear, which has done wonders for the ride quality.

Massa in Perth

I put Kumhos on my QP a month ago, and haven't got a bad word to say about them. Much quieter than the old tyres, very smooth and nice and grippy although I don't abuse the car or 'use it to its potential'. A fraction of the cost of my faves the Dunlop Eagle Asymetric 2s.

Navcorr

Not sure I can really go with a tyre manufacturer that sounds like a really bad **** star name.

Everyone knows the rules:
1st name = name of first pet
2nd name = name of first street

Which makes me, errrm, Sandy Coltsfoot.
Oh dear.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
OK, look, I know that this thread drift is kinda my fault, but before it gets completely out of hand, which tyres am I supposed to be getting and where am I supposed to be getting them from? Part of the problem seems to be 19in wheels, as many stockists are showing just 18 and 20s