Insurance - FYI

Was online getting quotes today for a GT. I tend to forget about companies like Admiral because they don't sell through comparison sites. Having read very positive member comments here, made last year, I gave them a try. Admiral gave me the best quote by a wide margin, so it may be worthwhile checking them out, if you're shopping around.
Thanks to the members who posted their comments last year!

casadalloro

Was with them last year but now with adrian flux...were £200 odd cheaper mostly due to cheap quote on the barchetta as they realise they were only built lhd.... (we have all 3 cars with them)
When i told admiral l was leaving they asked what price then said they would beat it by £50!! .... really pisses me off that ... just give me your best quote 1st time or go stuff yourself!!
Happy with flux as i have guaranteed value of the CC and the barchetta and their breakdown cover on the CC and wifes 5 yr old mito is only £60 each....

Oh and Ulsterman.... very defo not wet and windy last few days.... though slightly worried we've maybe had summer!!

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Worth bearing in mind that Admiral are the only insurer that I'm aware of that views a speed awareness as the same as 3 points. I was with them and had a speed awareness and my premium went up 20%. The response to me pointing out that it's not a conviction was 'you were still caught speeding'.

Wack61

Worth bearing in mind that Admiral are the only insurer that I'm aware of that views a speed awareness as the same as 3 points. I was with them and had a speed awareness and my premium went up 20%. The response to me pointing out that it's not a conviction was 'you were still caught speeding'.

Like the guy who drove home as soon as he put the phone down then.

You should have told him it was a tax generation course which is a more accurate description

Was online getting quotes today for a GT. I tend to forget about companies like Admiral because they don't sell through comparison sites. Having read very positive member comments here, made last year, I gave them a try. Admiral gave me the best quote by a wide margin, so it may be worthwhile checking them out, if you're shopping around.
Thanks to the members who posted their comments last year!

Yes they (like most) reel you in for the first year and then do not reward loyalty in the second year

Wack61

They all try it on in year 2 , my 4200 insurance was reasonable for yr 1 then over £500 at renewal hoping I couldn't be bothered to change , house insurance is the same , if you question it they knock something off

Pramrod

Remember to put the wife on the insurance (if you have one) - brought my cover down by about 10%.
(Husband's who let their wives drive their Maseratis don't tend to total them???? Can't get mine near it. But she's on the insurance!)

Slowly

Two comments re insurance:
1) Companies who put the price up after the first year - I insured my GS with a broker previously mentioned who had been great with the Caterham for several years but after a year (of zero claims) they doubled the price for the GS - I went to a local broker and got a similar quote to that offered by AF for the first year.
2) Having the wife on the insurance helps - perhaps the insurers know that 1) she will never drive it - changing up at 2000rpm, but 2) will be sitting in the passenger seat telling you to slow down, or, though mine loves going in the GS, won't agree to going out in something like a Caterham, so OTT cars like that are left safely behind in the garage when one drives with the O.H.

alfatwo

Is my 2001 Maser 3200GT now eligible for classic car insurance? any one you could recommend who's proper..

Dave

Trev Latter

I've been using Classicline for the last couple of years. Agreed value etc and didn't try to rip me off for renewal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
Mine was with A Plan but was 25% more at renewal and didn't want to discount so went with Quotemehappy off comparison site.

I have 3 points and came in at £300

Having the wife on the policy knocks 20% off for me too so worth trying.

...and yes, come renewal the price will go back up 20%, they must think we are all stupid.

Was with them last year but now with adrian flux...were £200 odd cheaper mostly due to cheap quote on the barchetta as they realise they were only built lhd.... (we have all 3 cars with them)
When i told admiral l was leaving they asked what price then said they would beat it by £50!! .... really pisses me off that ... just give me your best quote 1st time or go stuff yourself!!
Happy with flux as i have guaranteed value of the CC and the barchetta and their breakdown cover on the CC and wifes 5 yr old mito is only £60 each....

Oh and Ulsterman.... very defo not wet and windy last few days.... though slightly worried we've maybe had summer!!

Two days of summer temperatures and cloudless skies and then back to wind and rain for a week :/
Still. Every day above ground is a good one ;)

Mike

Last edited:

Mr K

I've just gone with Admiral on their Multicar discount scheme. 4 cars including the Maser for £423! I got my quote online initially, then a very nice Welsh chap called me back and helped lower the premium. For example, I got a discount for being an IAM member - not offered online. Also, we found that increasing the mileage limit for the Maser from 4000 to 5000 reduced the premium a bit! Lastly, adding the Alfasud as a classic car was almost cost-neutral - the additional discount attracted by the 4th car was almost the same as the addditional premium to cover it.

I made sure they switched off continuous cover, the default - I'd be amazed if they offer anything like such a good deal at renewal.

MrMickS

I'm shopping around after having Admiral multicar last year. This year's quote is a little higher but I want to check with others first.

casadalloro

I'm shopping around after having Admiral multicar last year. This year's quote is a little higher but I want to check with others first.

if you can be bothered shop around then call admiral with best quote ... they dropped around £250 but id already done deal with adrian flux..plus i think flux gave me better cover with guaranteed values on the maser and the barchetta....they also do multi car discounts...

hope that helps.. mark.

leeq61

I've just gone with Admiral too. I received my renewal which was £180 more expensive than last year. Gave Admiral a call and they beat the renewal by over £100.