2017 SatNav Update

MrMickS

The SatNav warned me that the data might be out of date (2014 data set) and to contact the dealer to check for an update. To my surprise there is a 2017 update available for the pre MY17 Ghibli.

It's not particularly cheap, but what is on this car, at £150 or so but less than I thought it would be. It's a dealer upload so my car is booked in for just before Easter. It'll be good to drive up the A1(M) without telling me I'm in a field and trying to direct me onto a road.

montravia

That's really good, Mick. The last time I looked the one for the GT was about £370 for discs. Probably a European wide nav database but even so.
I'm ignorant as to whether the Ghibli and GT heads are different though

Contigo

Sponsor
The SatNav warned me that the data might be out of date (2014 data set) and to contact the dealer to check for an update. To my surprise there is a 2017 update available for the pre MY17 Ghibli.

It's not particularly cheap, but what is on this car, at £150 or so but less than I thought it would be. It's a dealer upload so my car is booked in for just before Easter. It'll be good to drive up the A1(M) without telling me I'm in a field and trying to direct me onto a road.

Ask them for a DVD Copy too for that price. There is no reason why they shouldn't supply it.

MrMickS

That's really good, Mick. The last time I looked the one for the GT was about £370 for discs. Probably a European wide nav database but even so.
I'm ignorant as to whether the Ghibli and GT heads are different though

This is European wide as well. I'm pretty sure it a different head unit to the GT.

StuartW

Yes, they're different systems. The Ghibli works on a dealer supplied download, updated via a plug in, whereas the GT is a DVD based system with a separate discs for each territory - 13 in total from memory

P R

When they reinstalled mine in December they didn't install a new version.. much to my irritation!

MrMickS

When they reinstalled mine in December they didn't install a new version.. much to my irritation!

I chased a new version a few times last year but was told that there wasn't an update available. This is a 2017 update so I wonder if its the first one that they've done. Why do map updates every year its not like a different company would be doing it or that they're doing updates for other FCA cars on a regular basis.

I was fully expecting to be told that there still wasn't an update. To be honest I expected that there would never be one now that they've switched the head units on the MY17 cars.

Contigo said:
Ask them for a DVD Copy too for that price. There is no reason why they shouldn't supply it.

Its not a DVD based system so I don't know how they'd do this or what use it would be. There is no original DVD that comes with the car. The thing that stings is that this is just map data provided by Garmin but collected by HERE. It is available for download from Garmin direct for other cars in the FCA stable (https://auto-update.garmin.com/auto-update/site) though the pricing is similar to the dealer update price.

P R

OK that makes sense MickS. When they did the update they said it took 2 days as they have to load each region and it takes hours (this may have been to install the whole thing?). There is an SD card slot so maybe they do it that way?

P R

I chased a new version a few times last year but was told that there wasn't an update available. This is a 2017 update so I wonder if its the first one that they've done. Why do map updates every year its not like a different company would be doing it or that they're doing updates for other FCA cars on a regular basis.

I was fully expecting to be told that there still wasn't an update. To be honest I expected that there would never be one now that they've switched the head units on the MY17 cars.

Its not a DVD based system so I don't know how they'd do this or what use it would be. There is no original DVD that comes with the car. The thing that stings is that this is just map data provided by Garmin but collected by HERE. It is available for download from Garmin direct for other cars in the FCA stable (https://auto-update.garmin.com/auto-update/site) though the pricing is similar to the dealer update price.

Yes I've just looked at that. Funny how you can download for all the other makes but when you try and click on Maserati it says go to dealer! The video instruction looks easy enough, and the system on that dodge (I think it is) looks exactly the same as the Maser one.

MrMickS

Update delayed under advice from Maserati Technical due to an issue updating someone else's car. Not really bothered as long as I get the update before Sept.

MrMickS

Dropped my car in for a service today, and the SatNav update. Sadly the map update was still reporting 'unknown file type' or some such so the dealer wasn't able to update the maps. Saved me a little cash for now but I'd really like to get the update done before we go away at the end of August. Time to try another dealer?

philw696

The joys or should I say Woes of Maserati updates never straight forward and so time consuming.
One of the many things I don't miss working for them for sure.

Phil the Brit

Yes my sat nav puts me in a field sometimes. Usually when it hasn't been used for a while. It finds its way back to the road after a few minutes though. I guess the sat nav is hunting for a satellite for a while.

keith

I have read on the U.S Ghibli site some owners doing updates using the Garmin update page selecting Chrysler or Dodge and downloading onto a memory stick and then uploading into the car. Not sure if it possible for UK/European maps but potentially could save a lot of money.

MrMickS

The cost is the same for the maps alone as Maserati are proposing to charge me. One of the things I want is the updated dealer network for when I'm travelling so I really want the Maser ones.

MrMickS

Bumping this thread to ask is anyone has had this done successfully? I'm now thinking about ringing around other dealers, even though that'll mean taking a day off work, in order to get the update done.

P R

Mine is playing up again and I want the (same) dealer to fix it now. Fed up of re installs not fixing the issue

MrMickS

I've pretty much given up on this now. Nothing back from the local MD and another one I spoke to about it said that they'd done it but had customers complaining that the data is still old, missing postcodes and the like. So I'll just put up with the out dated maps for the moment and think about it again next year if there is another update.

Why Maserati won't let adventurous customers update their own map data I've no idea. They can always have a disclaimer and charge the usual small fortune to put it right if anyone does break their system. That said its just maps for goodness sake, copying files from a USB stick onto the internal storage. There is even an menu option in the MTC to do it. Its not exactly rocket science.