From the Floor - Opinions on Black Wheels for the 4200 (Red)

Kyle4200

I'm looking at slightly modernising my car now the summer is on it's way... apparently. My wheels will need furbishing at some point.
My plan was to change the colour to a Black/Gloss type finish, in line with the newer GT's I've seen in Red.

What's your thoughts?

allandwf

Go for it, though I might be slightly biased. You can always change them back at a later date. :)

iainw

I'm looking at slightly modernising my car now the summer is on it's way... apparently. My wheels will need furbishing at some point.
My plan was to change the colour to a Black/Gloss type finish, in line with the newer GT's I've seen in Red.

What's your thoughts?

Conflict of interest statement: I have a GTS with black Gloss Alloys (MC Sport Pack)

I think they look great personally.
I agree with some that you slightly lose the lines of the wheels.. but it will contrast with your body colour nicely.

jasst

Don't do it! hate black wheels, just makes it look like nothing in the wheel arch, mine are shadow chrome, or black chrome depending on your point of view, something different to silver and don't show brake dust as much.

wink

Naff IMO. Remember those 1990 Audis with white wheels, very fashionable for a short time. Stick with some variant of silver i.e. metal coloured.

BL330

Mine are a gunmetal grey chosen by the previous owner. They are slightly darker than factory Mercurio?
Sometimes they appear black, well dark at least.
When I get round to refurbing them,
I'm thinking back to silver and I already bought the silver with red centre caps.
Then again what about a dark gold, ala 50's / 60's racing Ferraris? I think it would look good with our curvy body.
Go for a change, you can always change back later.

Kyle4200

I do think Red is probably one of the few colours that can actually get away with it, darker grey/silver wheels look good to - the trouble is I have the 15-Spoke Design alloys so it's had to see the lovely Red callipers hiding behind them, with the Black wheels I think they stand out more and like people have said I could change them back before selling etc, I just want to knock of few years off my aging beauty - an ABSO exhaust system and some look at me wheels haha not really...

maxresdefault.jpg

It's quite rare to see on a 15 year old car but here's an example on a Spyder.

CatmanV2

I think it also depends on how heavy the wheels are. More solid (like the 4200 / AC wheels) look different to (say) 20" Neptunes like mine. Where you can see a lot of disc an caliper behind.

C

Corranga

Black no. Dark grey, yes.

Black wheels suit some colours, but imo dark grey is somehow classier. The exceptions are blark / very dark grey cars, like the 3200 AC which look spot on.

For me, black wheels cheapen a car. That red spider looks terrible to my eye (not helped by the red centre caps either) but it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things, so ultimately, it's your car, and your decision to make! :)

Kyle4200

Kyle4200

Black no. Dark grey, yes.

Black wheels suit some colours, but imo dark grey is somehow classier. The exceptions are blark / very dark grey cars, like the 3200 AC which look spot on.

For me, black wheels cheapen a car. That red spider looks terrible to my eye (not helped by the red centre caps either) but it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things, so ultimately, it's your car, and your decision to make! :)

Very true, just a tint of modern was my thought - every new Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati that I've seen recently in Red have all black wheels from the shop - must be good for sales, I just wanted to see what it would look like on a older model, I mean a F355 with black wheels would look absolute ridiculous no matter what colour, a 360 not so much with its curves.

Kyle4200

I'm swaying towards the Grigio mercury or Anthracite colour, it seems black creates many mixed opinions - it's not that cheap to refurb twice if I don't like them, which of those 2 colours were original options for the 4200 variants?

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I'm in the Grigio Mercury camp too if you must change them but personally I think silver is best on a red car.