Satnav update disc

Navcorr

Nav-Data: Parts/NAV_DXCOMP/nav2-DX_TA_GBI_2012.9_p32_exp02_PLZ_NG3/v1
Map-Data: /home/baker/Parts/MAP/map2-DX_TA_GBI_2012.9_p32_exp01_MG3/v2

Thanks. This looks suspiciously like the meta data that TomTom, etc systems use. It defines the map region & version. This info. gets written, in conjunction with the device ID, to create another file - which in turn gets written to the map folder on the system. It's a .bif file usually and acts as a key - of sorts. Fingers crossed some progress can be made in the not too distant. I've a copy of the Alfa firmware required to update the NIT and which allows use of more up to date maps.

That's the theory - will see what happens in practise in a week or so :)

Navcorr

Will do. Thanks. I believe it to be the same or similar disk that Catman mentioned though. However, I don't think the map itself will be the issue. The potential stumbling block will be loading firmware to the NIT that works. If that goes well and we can create the .bif file (or equivalent) then maybe.

CatmanV2

Will do. Thanks. I believe it to be the same or similar disk that Catman mentioned though. However, I don't think the map itself will be the issue. The potential stumbling block will be loading firmware to the NIT that works. If that goes well and we can create the .bif file (or equivalent) then maybe.

Ahh, no. I actually have a disc from the inside of a NIT....

C

StuartW

I'm sorry but this thread has me completely baffled.

I hope the end result is a positive outcome but aside from that, it really is all Dutch to me!

Navcorr

Ahh, no. I actually have a disc from the inside of a NIT....

C

Righty O. That shouldn't be a problem though. Plenty of map options - wink wink nudge nudge. In fact, the eBay disks may not work at all regardless of the firmware. There's plenty of posts stating they have been burned too quickly on inferior quality blanks. X2 on Verbatim is the preferred method.

Something I can vouch for too - chipped a Wii for my Cousin a few years back. The d/l games wouldn't work - until Verbatim disk were used. Then proceeded to pull a muscle bowling - stupid bl**dy game :)

Back to maps though - the data above is for a 2012 update. It would appear "Citroen/Peugeot" updates will also work. They update more frequently and 2017 are available. Again, I think the problem will be whether 10 y/o hardware will be up to much. There's talk of NIT G1 & NIT G2 with presumably one being newer & more capable.

If its more a case of getting something working via SSD, bypassing the ROM drive to preserve the NIT, then we don't have to aim too high. We can but try and see where it gets to.

Navcorr

I'm sorry but this thread has me completely baffled.

I hope the end result is a positive outcome but aside from that, it really is all Dutch to me!

Not to worry - it's borderline nerd territory :D
Funnily enough the "maps guru" from years back was a Dutch guy.
It was believed he was a disgruntled ex TomTom employee.

jemgee

Wow. I'll get it over to my son who has Masters from Cambridge and currently plays with the electronics on RN nuclear sub

zagatoes30

My Sat Nav sits in the passenger seat and only has two commands

1. That's where you should have turned - normally 5 secs after we pass said junction

followed by

2. If you're not going to do what I say then find your own bl00dy way

Followed by a big huff, a bit of clenched lips and then silence

Ebenezer

Mine is very good and despises the TOMTOM lady with the very attractive Irish accent. I have had to choose between the two, so Ms TOMTOM is hushed while Mrs Eb is in the navigators seat. However, I keep a crafty eye on her in any case while Mrs Eb directs me with great skill and intelligence. Ms TOMTOM can be a bit dogmatic on occasions, urging me to "turn around" when not following the proscribed route!
Eb

jemgee

In our TR Redrose group it is collectively known as noises from the left hand seat. It also comes with other options.

Can we put the hood up
Do we have to drive this fast
You're ruining my hair
Can we put the heater on
I can smell petrol

Navcorr

The sultry Joanna Lumley like lady that lives in Co-pilot :)

C

Could it have been the delicious Joanna herself? Didn't a whole bunch of celebrity voices become available about 10 years ago. They'll jump on any old bandwagon. Some of the impersonated celebs were fun - the bleeped Ozzy Osbourne was good. My fav had to be Mick Jagger - it was worth going the wrong way just for the "tuuuuuurrnn around man .... you're going the wrong waaaaaaaayyyy.