Satnav update disc

pedroC60

I bought same type of disc from another place https://www.navmapstore.com for my 2008 GT and it won't load into the system. Insert the disc but nothing happens. It just isn't recognised by the Sat Nav as a valid update disc as far as I can see.

I have a few more days before I need to return it (14 day return period) so will keep looking to see if there is a trick I am missing.

Navcorr

Every SatNav system I've seen has two distinct parts - the OS software and the map information. In the case of TomTom the software element is called Navcore. I was registered on a forum years ago when fixing my TomTom - hence my ID here too. Sad but true.

Each device has a unique identification code which has to correspond to a text file contained in the map folder. If the two don't match the OS won't "see" the maps. In the case a of standalone SatNav it is easy to interrogate the system and create the necessary match. I believe some people were able to update their devices indefinitely although, obviously, I would never condone such behaviour :)

Are all Maserati systems Garmin based? I don't know and I certainly haven't ever tried to interrogate such a system. If there is a way to safely access the system data, and if there are curious owners, a look at GPS Underground may provide some information.

CatmanV2

Every SatNav system I've seen has two distinct parts - the OS software and the map information. In the case of TomTom the software element is called Navcore. I was registered on a forum years ago when fixing my TomTom - hence my ID here too. Sad but true.

Each device has a unique identification code which has to correspond to a text file contained in the map folder. If the two don't match the OS won't "see" the maps. In the case a of standalone SatNav it is easy to interrogate the system and create the necessary match. I believe some people were able to update their devices indefinitely although, obviously, I would never condone such behaviour :)

Are all Maserati systems Garmin based? I don't know and I certainly haven't ever tried to interrogate such a system. If there is a way to safely access the system data, and if there are curious owners, a look at GPS Underground may provide some information.

I have a GT disc in the kitchen that I *really* need to go around to trying in my car. Just no time :(

I might be able to find time to have a stroll through the file system, however, and see if we can find it.

C

Navcorr

Given that the official update disks are generic I would guess the ICE unit itself creates the "match" once the map data has been loaded. There may not be any such file on the disk itself.

CatmanV2

Given that the official update disks are generic I would guess the ICE unit itself creates the "match" once the map data has been loaded. There may not be any such file on the disk itself.

Makes sense. Still need to check if disk images are somehow keyed to the NIT hardware. We're expecting not, but this is why I have the disk. Otherwise the disks in the NITs are going to start failing soon, and that's 4k....

C

Navcorr

Just logged into GPS Underground (first time in yonks) and there is a specific sub-forum dealing with Navteq for Alfa,Fiat & Lancia. Is this likely to be the same system for Maserati?

CatmanV2

Just logged into GPS Underground (first time in yonks) and there is a specific sub-forum dealing with Navteq for Alfa,Fiat & Lancia. Is this likely to be the same system for Maserati?

It has been suggested but the guy who confidently claimed he could upgrade it with an Alfa disk is missing, presumed lost.

C

pedroC60

Here is the listing from the info.txt file on the CD. The rest of the files aren't ASCII and I can't read them..

satnav_info.txt_contents.jpg

Navcorr

It has been suggested but the guy who confidently claimed he could upgrade it with an Alfa disk is missing, presumed lost.

C

:laugh:

Have had a nose at the other SatNav thread - if you've a test NIT and can access the data folder - can you post a picture of the file structure? It could help me narrow down the posts I'm looking at on the GPS forum. I'd be willing to bet tuppence the guy you mentioned is right - perhaps not using a specific Alfa disk(s) but more likely the methodology.

The systems I've seen have all been pretty much of a muchness. It was simply a case of getting an appropriate software version to marry up with the correct map. Generally a bit of trial and error was involved but nothing horrendous. If the Maserati SatNav is as rudimentary as it appears, and the info. & downloads available on gpsu are anything to go by, an upgrade of both software & maps should be achievable.

How the blo*dy h*ll did you know I'd ask.

Last edited:

Navcorr

Here is the listing from the info.txt file on the CD. The rest of the files aren't ASCII and I can't read them..

View attachment 43880

Can you PM this please - 'tis a bit small. Can you also transfer the system data from the NIT? There is a reasonable chance it could be made to function in a Linux environment using with VM

CatmanV2

I've got the disk. I might be able to look on Friday assuming I can read the file structure on the machines currently available. Or I can ship the HD to you?

C

Navcorr

Alternatively I'll be in the area in a week or so. Perhaps a sitdown could be worthwhile?

Navcorr

Will do. Will get in touch when I know my schedule. Can you attach the .txt file above to a PM?

pedroC60

Here's the info.txt file from the CD.

cd2-GBR_IRL_2013_2014_postal_MS_DX v1

Title: Great Britain / Ireland 2013/2014 / MERIAN scout Travel Guide, NO PAY-TMC, Postal-Codes available

Project-Number: Europa DX 2013/2014
Project-Name: GBR/IRL 2013/2014 MS DX

Worm: cd2-GBR_IRL_2013_2014_postal_MS_DX v1

Online-Software: ndd31 v5-ece-390-23
Boot-Filetyp: param.sys.all

Nav-Data: Parts/NAV_DXCOMP/nav2-DX_TA_GBI_2012.9_p32_exp02_PLZ_NG3/v1
Map-Data: /home/baker/Parts/MAP/map2-DX_TA_GBI_2012.9_p32_exp01_MG3/v2

Quad-Idx: quad2-TA_GBRIRL12.09_GIS v1
Quad-Idx: quad2-TA_GBRIRL12.09_I-Publish_rf v1 rf_1_1__.great_br.1
Quad-Idx: quad2-TA_GBRIRL12.09_I-Publish_rf v1 rf_1_1_g.great_br.2
Quad-Idx: quad2-TA_GBRIRL12.09_I-Publish_rf v1 rf_2_2__.ireland.3
Quad-Idx: quad2-TA_GBRIRL12.09_I-Publish_rf v1 rf_2_2_g.ireland.4